Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: internal organs, insects, extinct animals, cannibalism and what else? page

Davidil is offline Senior Member

internal organs, insects, extinct animals, cannibalism and what else?

Primal Fuel
    I was thinking now... it makes so much sense to eat like our ancestors.

But what about the fact that they ate tons of stuff most of us wouldn't touch like insects and internal organs? Animals that don't even exist anymore? You also realise that many tribes were cannibalistic, right? So how close are we really getting here to eat what those guys ate? 50%?

Not trolling, purely for fun theoretical discussion. If they'd see what we eat they'd probably laught in our faces.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    I'm quite ok with just emulating their general food choices (plants, animals) combined with moderate, intermittent but intense exercise. The endemic band warfare, headhunting, cannibalism, ritual scarring, etc does not appeal to me per se.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I think they'd be envious. Think about how hard they had to work to get food. They didn't just drive to the store and pick up some burger for dinner. They caught it, skinned it, cleaned it, cut it up into workable pieces, etc. They might get fat from all that ease, but I think they'd be happy at first.

I don't know about how many or how much animals have changed, but since we've domesticated livestock, selective breeding has been going on for a high meat:bone ratio, livestock used for milk have been bred to be good producers (and in worse cases, given hormones to produce even more), breeds of fowl bred to be good layers or meat producers - which is why the breast on mass produced chickens is so big.

Produce has been bred to grow the most product on the least amount of land, to be bigger and sweeter (in the case of fruits), to travel well (heck, even people in their 40s and 50s often remember a time when store bought tomatoes were actually juicy and delicious).

So, I think Grok would recognize very few of the foods we eat today. But I don't think they'd laugh in our faces - I think they'd jump up and down with glee at how readily available food is with very little work.

As to internal organs, quite a few people who post here regularly eat heart, liver, and tongue. Some eat kidneys and tripe. And testicles are definitely on my list for 2013 as soon as I find them reasonably priced.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Actually food doesn't come easy. Don't forget that you're basically exchanging food for working 8 or more hours a day.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidil View Post
    Actually food doesn't come easy. Don't forget that you're basically exchanging food for working 8 or more hours a day.
    Sure, I get that. But a pound of grass fed ground beef costs less than one hour of work at minimum wage. And it doesn't fight back or take other members of your tribe to carry it home. No fuss, just form into patty and cook. The most expensive eggs I've seen (soy free pastured) are about $7.50/dozen, so that's a little bit more than the fed'l minimum wage, like about 62 minutes to earn that. Imagine how long it might take to find those eggs prior to domestication. Eggs were probably a treat, whereas to us, they're just common old everyday food.

I think we have it easy, but that same luxury is part of what's making us sick. Grok didn't have to put "sprint" on his to-do list three times a week because he sometimes had to sprint as a normal part of his day. He didn't consciously have to take a morning walk because he was often tracking something to eat.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I'm with JoanieL on this. My grandmother or great-grandmother's cooking is somewhat more of a goal for me than grok's actual food. But I like grok's style and find his life interesting.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Actually, if you read Stone Age Economics, by Marshall Sahlins, you'll see how much less time actual tribesmen did things we'd recognize as "work."

And calorie for calorie, of course farming is more intense than gathering and hunting. Trading hunting/gathering for farming is like quitting a job that pays $5 an hour to take another that pays $2 an hour.

But yeah, eat the organs and insects dude. Stay away from eating "long pig" though, it could get you into trouble.

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    There was an article in the NYT recently (a month ago maybe) about how vegetable varieties have lost nutrition over time from selection and breeding. They have become sweeter and less bitter since that's what we like, taste wise.

Isn't that good enough reason to take supplements and super food powders?

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    No, it's a reason to eat wild plants and organ meat, not pills and dust.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast