Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Meal plan for mass-building page

gambrick is offline Junior Member

Meal plan for mass-building

Primal Fuel
    I have always been a skinny person, and have tried to gain weight since the beginning of high school, as I was frequently known for being the scrawny kid. To give you an idea, I am 5'5, male, and weight 100 lbs. Most girls I pass on the street likely weigh more than I. I discovered primal blueprint a year ago and have slowly made progresses in adherence to it since then.

I am currently a college student, but school is out. During my spring semester in college, I followed the primal blueprint religiously--weight training, sprints, meat, vegetables, etc. When the semester ended and I returned home in the middle of May, to my great surprise, I weighed 119 lbs. I gained 9 lbs! I was so happy, as I was so much closer to my goal of 135 lbs. To my dismay, yesterday, I weighed myself and was shocked to find that I had dropped all the way down to 100 lbs! All that hard work, gone! Even worse, I lost more than just the weight I had gained, and now weigh less than I did before I started weight lifting. How the heck was that even possible? The shock of all that progress going down the drain placed me in a depressive state. I couldn't even fall asleep because I was so angry and depressed.

I've come to realize now that I am not getting enough calories in my diet. While in college, I had the advantage of a meal plan that allowed me to eat plenty of food whenever I wanted. I just went over the calories I am feeding my body and came to the conclusion that I am barely scraping 1100 per day!

I need some serious help here. For those of you who gained mass and went from scrawny to athletic, what was your daily meal plan? I am trying to get at least 2500 calories per day. Yes, I will be easing my body into it. From my weight training, I am strong for my weight, but who does not want to show one's hard work? 135 lbs does not seem that farfetched, even.

I would really appreciate any help. I have half a mind to just give up on all this.

Thanks, RittenRemedy. I understand I have to eat more. In hindsight, the weight gain I achieved while in college had more to do with the large amount of food I was eating than the weight training and such. What I really need are some actual meals plans. I want to know the daily meals some people eat that allowed them to gain weight.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Focus on the basics. Ensure that you're getting enough calories, sufficient protein, essential fats, and a lot of carbs.

Meat, fish, potatoes, rice, eggs, cottage cheese, nut butters, etc. Don't be afraid to throw in desserts as well. Also make sure you're meticulously tracking your calories. It's extremely common to think that you're eating enough, when you're really not even close. Don't worry about intermittent fasting or anything like that, just constantly consume calorically-dense foods and focus on lifting progressively heavier weights in the gym.

It's a slow process, especially for someone with a skinny-frame who has trouble putting on weight. Be patient, stick to the basics, and don't be frustrated when you slip up. Let me know if you have any more questions.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Are the potatoes recommended for the carbohydrates?

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    If you're a skinny hardgainer and are seriously lifting and trying to add mass, you're going to have to eat a LOT. Like, uncomfortably a lot. And more often. Get enough protein, then just power down as much food as possible. Gaining a ton of mass eating paleo is tough; you probably won't be able to physically eat TOO MUCH food. Eat like you're getting paid by the pound.

Quote Originally Posted by gambrick View Post
    Are the potatoes recommended for the carbohydrates?
    Yes. Potatoes and white rice are my go-to carb sources, and I recommend them for all athletes and those looking to put on weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    If you're a skinny hardgainer and are seriously lifting and trying to add mass, you're going to have to eat a LOT. Like, uncomfortably a lot. And more often. Get enough protein, then just power down as much food as possible. Gaining a ton of mass eating paleo is tough; you probably won't be able to physically eat TOO MUCH food. Eat like you're getting paid by the pound.
    Protein is not a problem for me, especially since my goal weight is not too high (It seems reasonable, given my age, height, and body type). I am willing to stuff my face if it means packing on some pounds and getting back all that progress I lost. I think I am going to go from 90/10 paleo to maybe 80/20 to allow for more calories without going broke from all the meat. Absolutely no junk food, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    Yes. Potatoes and white rice are my go-to carb sources, and I recommend them for all athletes and those looking to put on weight.
    I don't eat white rice, though, so I'll go with brown rice. I'll look for some potatoes when I go shopping today.

I don't eat white rice, though, so I'll go with brown rice. I'll look for some potatoes when I go shopping today.
    That's fine. Just a question: why don't you eat white rice?

Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    That's fine. Just a question: why don't you eat white rice?
    Numerous, numerous articles I have read pretty much drilled into me that white rice is just not healthy and cannot compare to brown rice (After reading marksdailyapple, it seems brown rice is not all that much better, but oh well, I'm trying to gain weight) Why eat white rice when I could go with brown? It's like using the bleached, nutritionally-sapped table salt when I could use the colorful sea salt with all it's nutrients intact.

I stopped eating white rice when I stopped consuming soda and junk food--about six years ago.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Numerous, numerous articles I have read pretty much drilled into me that white rice is just not healthy and cannot compare to brown rice (After reading marksdailyapple, it seems brown rice is not all that much better, but oh well, I'm trying to gain weight) Why eat white rice when I could go with brown? It's like using the bleached, nutritionally-sapped table salt when I could use the colorful sea salt with all it's nutrients intact.
    If you're concerned with which one is "healthier", I would still go with white rice. The reason is that brown rice contains many more of the nutrient-binding anti-nutrients than white rice. It really comes down to personal preference, but there's no reason to avoid white rice, and I definitely wouldn't put it in the "junk" food category.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast