Thread: Autoimmune Protocol page

jenh is offline Senior Member
    Vernon Hills, IL (Northern Chicago suburbs)

Question Autoimmune Protocol

Primal Fuel
    Okay I'm reading more and more about autoimmune primal/paleo. I want to understand the why behind this better... I already struggle with primal because I miss "crunch" and sugar but am beginning to wonder if sugar is more than an addiction - maybe it's a binge eating disorder; but besides the point at the moment.

So I'm reaching out to my folks here again who maybe can tell me more about this because I have endometriosis which is an autoimmune disorder... I'm not sure I could take out butter - I'd have enough problems with removing cheese and then there are some who say you should also remove any and all animal products. Your expertise and thoughts are appreciated!
    My goal pic...

Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    I've been doing quite a bit of AIP (autoimmune paleo) research myself lately because I think I may have an autoimmune disease affecting my GI system.

From what I have gathered AIP removes more foods that are potentially inflammatory and/or have proteins that contribute to leaky gut or immune response not already eliminated by regular paleo. Regular paleo of course eliminates casein (if you're dairy free), gluten and legume proteins that are common allergens and irritants. AIP adds to that list eggs (mostly because the whites have protective proteins similar to those in grains and legumes), nuts, seeds, and nightshades.

I definitely think it's worth looking into. The idea is not to stay on strict AIP forever (hopefully) but to be able to reintroduce some of those foods, once healing has occurred, if they don't cause symptoms. Of course, for many people just strict paleo is enough, and I think you're willingness to do the plan will also affect your success - and if your symptoms aren't that serious it might be hard to get the motivation. An asymptomatic celiac person may feel that just strict gluten free paleo is plenty for them, where someone with MS or Crohn's might be more motivated.

Anyway, if you really want to learn more I'd definitely recommend The Paleo Mom (http://www.thepaleomom.com/), she has several posts about AIP and has a book about AIP, The Paleo Approach, coming out in the fall. Practical Paleo, the book by Diane Sanfilipo, also has a 30 day AIP meal plan and recipes.

Good luck!
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

jenh is offline Senior Member
    Vernon Hills, IL (Northern Chicago suburbs)
    Thanks Amy!
    My goal pic...

Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)