Thread: Stomach muscles ?? page

kterry is offline Junior Member

Cool Stomach muscles ??

Connecting with others who have like passions is a beautiful thing! i am 58 living in the midwest, sale/marketing guy who is married with two grown children. i started lifting weights as a teenager, partisipated in Jr. Olyimpic in Olympic lifting competition and took third. Got married and got fat at the same time, top weight went to about 210, on a 5,10.5" frame. In 1998 i deciced enough is enough and change my eating and began workout program and dropped about 30lbs. That was all good but keeping it off has been the real challenge, so that brings me to why i am at this site.

Currently, my body weight is 183lbs, and my goal is to see some stomach muscles(yes, i know that most 58 years olds are not even thinking of this) but i want to give this a shot for one time in my life. I started eating Pimal about 2 months ago and dropped about 5-7lbs.

165 lbs is a target goal that i should be seeing some stomach muscles so my challege to get from 182 to 165 in a reasonable time frame, but i am stuck at 183 and not sure of a plan to get there, so that is why i am on this site, besides that i love talking about health, nuturition and that stuff with others.

In the body building world (John Parrello) recommends eating meals every 3 hours to increase the metablism which in turn cranks up the fat burning machine. Apparently, what he is advocating works becuase body builders are lean, and muscluar. Eating fat promoted in Primal eating is off limits although there is some fat enouraged, maybe 5% total calories.

How does Primal eating view this eating every 3 hours?
    Does calorie restriction method favor Primal or not?
    These questions might not be for the aveage Primal eater, but if you have any food for thought i would be happy to hear about it.

I look foward to connecting with all 'BluePrint' foodies!

Kim

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kterry View Post
    Connecting with others who have like passions is a beautiful thing! i am 58 living in the midwest, sale/marketing guy who is married with two grown children. i started lifting weights as a teenager, partisipated in Jr. Olyimpic in Olympic lifting competition and took third. Got married and got fat at the same time, top weight went to about 210, on a 5,10.5" frame. In 1998 i deciced enough is enough and change my eating and began workout program and dropped about 30lbs. That was all good but keeping it off has been the real challenge, so that brings me to why i am at this site.

Currently, my body weight is 183lbs, and my goal is to see some stomach muscles(yes, i know that most 58 years olds are not even thinking of this) but i want to give this a shot for one time in my life. I started eating Pimal about 2 months ago and dropped about 5-7lbs.

165 lbs is a target goal that i should be seeing some stomach muscles so my challege to get from 182 to 165 in a reasonable time frame, but i am stuck at 183 and not sure of a plan to get there, so that is why i am on this site, besides that i love talking about health, nuturition and that stuff with others.

In the body building world (John Parrello) recommends eating meals every 3 hours to increase the metablism which in turn cranks up the fat burning machine. Apparently, what he is advocating works becuase body builders are lean, and muscluar. Eating fat promoted in Primal eating is off limits although there is some fat enouraged, maybe 5% total calories.

These questions might not be for the aveage Primal eater, but if you have any food for thought i would be happy to hear about it.

Kim
    Hi Kim, welcome in these forums
    If I were you, I would look into the so-called "Warrior diet" and high intensity interval training including body weight workouts, and weight lifting.

For the rest, I'll tell you that most primal folks don't adopt this lifestyle for seeing their abs but for feeling the best they can until the "clearing at the end of the path" ...

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Eating every 3 hours to boast the metabolism is BS and without any foundation whatsoever! Minimum fat should be 10% to secure a healthy hormonal balance...
    Being just an old fashioned guy myself; I’m beyond tired of all these fragile mama boys (and girls!) with powder in their gluteus and soft pillows under their arm pits that cannot recover from their 3 days a week abbreviated “strength” routine…

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Hi Kim,

I'm about an inch shorter than you and a 38yo that has been eating this way consistently since around 2010 and paleo on and off for a year or 2 before that.

It's certainly helped uncover my abs and keep them uncovered.

The way it works for me is that because I find a diet which is high and high to high in protein (depending on my needs for my goals at any given month e.g. Am I trying to add muscle, increase strength or make those abs pop for vanity's sake in time for a beach holiday) and generally lower in carbs (though again this changes depending with goals and activity levels and type) is very satiating, I actually struggle to eat enough when I do want to put on weight. I naturally fall into maintenance or a calorie deficit.

I've been hovering around the 170lbs mark for a while now, though dipped down to 160 at one point due to not taking my calories and not working out often. I drop muscle easily if I'm not training, but pre primal that's where I would've ended up back with skinny arms, a pot belly and moobs, as I wound keep eating the same way as I had gotten used to while I was training regularly, because if I didn't eat every 2 to 3 hours and get plenty of carbs I would be "starving" and get lightheaded and cranky.

Now if I'm lazy for a few months, my appetite naturally adjusts downward keeping me lean, though I still drop muscle it comes back easily when I get back into training.
    Last edited by Misabi; 07-06-2013 at 03:20 PM.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by kterry View Post

Kim
    Welcome Kerry,
    1) Not well.
    2) Depends

The WOE (Way of Eating) for primal varies between 3 to 1 meal a day. Definitely not more and we don't favor grazing.

After stabilizing your body from the change of dropping all carbs and sugars (and refined foods) you achieve a healthy maintenance balance of macronutrients: fats, protein, carbs, in which you are neither gaining or loosing and are never hungry. Then if you want to loose weight you raise the fats and lower the carbs. Achieving that balance may require calorie restriction at first, but usually doesn't. Because the healthy fats are very satiating, one often finds automatic and unrealized calorie restriction.

That's the preferred way, but of course you will find many here, particularly younger people, who just can't wait 3-4 weeks and jump right in to Very Low Carb or even Ketosis, which is all very hard on your body.

Do read "The Primal Blueprint". Mark also has a 21 day makeover book or program.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase