Thread: Mommy of two- loving primal! page

IvyBaby is offline Junior Member

Smile Mommy of two- loving primal!

Shop Now
    Hi all!

MDA is a great community! I remember the days when I was kind of toying with the idea of going primal, but leaving my 'healthy' organic home made sourdough bread behind seemed impossible!

When I was younger (around 24, now I am 36), I followed a carbohydrate addicts diet, which worked great for me, but was a bit difficult to keep up, especially because I had to move to USA for my studies and start a whole new life. I fell off the diet completely with time (lots of stress, depression etc). Recently I had two daughters (3 and 1.5 years old now) and, having gained lots of weight, I felt so down. I had gone up to UK size 18/20 and continued gaining. In the spring of this year I finally had enough and lost some weight by counting calories (maybe 6-7 kg, I don't know, because I still don't want to weigh myself, but I do measurements). Then for a couple months I stopped dieting, maybe I was tired of being hungry. Finally about a month ago I decided to ditch grains and sugars and go primal!! I don't even remember now what triggered the decision, but I am so glad that I did.

The amazing thing is that I never missed the bread or other grain products. Sugar was a bit more difficult, but not by much. Almost immediately I felt much lighter and stronger, the bloating was gone. Also the hip pain that I developed after the second pregnancy, went away. Back pain is gone almost completely, too. My skin is continuing to improve, becoming smoother and healthier every day. The most important change for me is reduction in anxiety and depression during PMS! It is unbelievable how calm I feel. I used to be so irritable, but now I just smile about things that used to make me angry or upset. My tummy is completely peaceful now, no disturbances at all. Oh, and I have lost perhaps 10 kilos (22 pounds) in one month (estimated by my husband, who is great at noticing things).

I am hoping to convert my husband in near future. He is very impressed by my results- as is my friend who did not see me for 2-3 weeks and then commented on how much I have changed

My younger daughter is already primal- she loves primal food and eats everything. The 3 year old is a bit fussy and loves sweets and bread (my fault for not steering her in the right direction from the beginning), but she gets them only in nursery now and that is two days a week. At home I will make occasional primal blueberry muffin or banana pancake, or give her some dark chocolate and she is fine with that. I am hoping that with time she will start to understand more of what I am doing and why.

Just one more thing- I have not quit dairy completely. I put cream in my coffee in am and also drink a mug of home made kefir daily. Kefir is supposed to be low in carbs (I ripen it well to decrease lactose content even more) and full of beneficial bacteria and yeasts. I use non homogenized Guernsey milk, which contains beta a2 casein instead of a1 like most other breeds. Also I use a lot of Guernsey butter. What are your thoughts on this? It is not strictly primal approach, but it works for me, I guess.. I did develop a mild case of discoid exzema after my second baby, so, maybe cutting out dairy completely for a while, might help to get rid of it?

Another question, please! Should I increase my carb intake if I feel a bit weak and unable to concentrate well at some times? I am still breast feeding, so maybe I get too less? I use FitDay and I am getting around 100g of carbs a day. Some day a bit more, some day less. I have read Mark's thoughts on it, but was wondering if anyone could share a personal experience/insight.

Good job, everyone! So glad I have become one of you!

Ivanda

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, IvyBaby. Do read the "Newbys start here thread just above. Dairy is OK in Primal. Sure wish I could get Guernsey milk. Since you're breast feeding I'd say eat anything and everything you want. I wouldn't restrict anything while breast feeding. Not enough is known about women's health in that state. I wasn't primal when I was breast-feeding.

It sounds like you're already making excellent progress. You'll get more responses if you start a new thread in the Nutrition section of the forum.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IvyBaby View Post
    Another question, please! Should I increase my carb intake if I feel a bit weak and unable to concentrate well at some times? I am still breast feeding, so maybe I get too less? I use FitDay and I am getting around 100g of carbs a day. Some day a bit more, some day less. I have read Mark's thoughts on it, but was wondering if anyone could share a personal experience/insight.
    Ivanda
    In my opinion carbs may need to be increased after:
    1) Optimizing carbs. Are you organizing your life so that your carbs go with activities that need them?
    2) Optimizing total calories. Are you eating enough overall?

Some would say fine, increase carbs no matter what, but as you mention the psychological issue of addiction, which I share, I don't think that is a good answer in this case. I think it is the last resort after the other two things are done.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Welcome, IvyBaby. Do read the "Newbys start here thread just above. Dairy is OK in Primal. Sure wish I could get Guernsey milk. Since you're breast feeding I'd say eat anything and everything you want. I wouldn't restrict anything while breast feeding. Not enough is known about women's health in that state. I wasn't primal when I was breast-feeding.

It sounds like you're already making excellent progress. You'll get more responses if you start a new thread in the Nutrition section of the forum.
    Thanks for your response!

Well, I do eat a lot, actually around 2000 calories, sometimes more. I plan on weaning the little one, just don't know how. She is very clingy and very sweet too, just can't hurt her feelings, haha.

I don't really get much hungry, and if I do, I eat primal things. I just feel that my body is telling me something when I feel weak and spaced out sometimes. So maybe I should include some more starchy veggies? Don't like sweet potato and we don't have a car, so are restricted to shopping in the local supermarket. They don't carry too many organic veggies, unfortunately.

Re Guernsey milk- unfortunately it is pasteurized, but I believe kefirizing it puts a lot of enzymes and vitamins back in it.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    In my opinion carbs may need to be increased after:
    1) Optimizing carbs. Are you organizing your life so that your carbs go with activities that need them?
    2) Optimizing total calories. Are you eating enough overall?

Some would say fine, increase carbs no matter what, but as you mention the psychological issue of addiction, which I share, I don't think that is a good answer in this case. I think it is the last resort after the other two things are done.
    1) I think I am..well, most of the time. If I plan on a long walk with my double buggy, I will eat more carbs, because, if I don't, I feel weak. Maybe I don't do it perfectly, as sometimes my legs feel heavy and I feel low on energy. I have cut out completely all grains (even white rice) and now potato too, so getting carbs from veggies and limited fruit requires more planning. I think I need to work on it!

2) I would guess that I am- I use FitDay and on average day I get around 2000 calories. Could that be not enough? Maybe more fat would help? I know that I feel instantly better if I eat some fruit, but don't want to go overboard with them, as I definitely have hyperinsulemia- I was doing well on carbohydrate addict diet (CAD/CALP).

Thanks for your insight!

I might need to tweak my eating a bit, but I feel so good on this plan and I can totally see myself following it for life and I never felt like this about any diet before