Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assist me in my lower back pain! page

Lockstock is offline Senior Member

Assist me in my lower back pain!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Generally speaking, since starting heavy lifting with barbells I have a much stronger lower back.

The only problem is now things are starting to get really heavy my back does not seem to enjoy it. It's annoying because I'm only 19.

Basically, today I did my deadlift. Got up to my work set of 105kg and when I finished, my low back was sore. Not the good kind of pump sore but it seemed more to do with my spine. This usually happens and after a few minutes goes away and It never bothers me again until the next workout.
    I got home and did my own self traction work for my spine by hanging off the pull-up bar. Alternating between that and the grok squat for like 5 minutes and my back felt great. Now, there is just a little bit of soreness.

My right leg feels a bit sore too but not sure if that's nerve pain (pinched disc) or just general pain from effed up form.

I'm gonna go to a doctor to get a proper check up but I thought I'd mention here because you guys know exactly what I'm talking about

I got rid of a lot of back problems by switching to a trap bar for deadlifts. Also, try lowering the weight and moving a bit slower. It helps to keep better form and you will be amazed how quickly you can build back up to the weight you are currently using moving at a faster speed.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I got $10 that says you're rounding your lower back, either when you pull, or when you put the weight down. Post a form check video.

Grafter is offline Senior Member
    I second what Rich said. It sounds like it is a form problem more than anything. Though for curiosity's sake, what sort of rep scheme are you using? And are you changing where your head is pointing and eyes looking?

In addition to hanging off of the pull up bar for decompression, I've had good luck with just hanging out on a dip station (sometimes even with a weighted belt on).

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I got $10 that says you're rounding your lower back, either when you pull, or when you put the weight down. Post a form check video.
    I agree.

Both the great thing and the worst thing about the dead lift is that you can not get away with poor form.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    This
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    Rich is 100% correct on this. You probably need to work on your form.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member
    Do the Plank and build up your stomach muscles and also the side muscles. It could be that your back's too strong for the rest of your torso. Restore the balance.

Randall

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randallfloyd View Post
    Do the Plank and build up your stomach muscles and also the side muscles. It could be that your back's too strong for the rest of your torso. Restore the balance.

Randall
    Well at least you recommended planks instead of something silly like sit-ups.

Here is some relevant info with a couple of useful exercises:

Lockstock is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randallfloyd View Post

Randall
    I doubt that. I would of thought it was the other way around. If anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast