Thread: How to prevent/cure indigestion and excessive acid/bile when hungry? page

AMonkey is offline Senior Member

How to prevent/cure indigestion and excessive acid/bile when hungry?

My girlfriend has mentioned that if she doesn't eat for a period of time, to the point she gets hungry, she experiences the following symptoms:
    -Gas production (she didn't mention if this resulted in burping or farting lol)
    -Abdominal pain/discomfort
    -Gargling in her stomach

Its something she's concerned about because she feels she has to continually eat to prevent this, and then puts on weight because of it.

All I can think of is excessive stomach acid/bile but I don't know whats causing it. She hasn't got it diagnosed, though I'm not sure if the doctor would necessarily know what the problem would be.

Does anybody know what this problem could be and how to help it?

Annieh is online now Senior Member
    Does she eat primal?

These symptoms often follow eating wheat, legumes etc.

Also, to me these symptoms do not actually sound like hunger signals, so I would not think eating would be the solution.

However, if in fact she is hungry it would be good to sit down and calmly eat a decent quantity of quality food. Grazing is not conducive to settled digestion.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, just to clarify if she hasn't eaten in a while, she will feel hungry and then these symptoms will appear. We're in Singapore so its hard to eat primally here.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    This is one of the many problems that contribute to my obesity. Primal solves the problem pretty much immediately, pretty much totally. If she *won't* eat primal (can't in Singapore, really?), for me when i wasnt willing to fight my food addiction issues acid reducers help but both calcium carbinate and proton pump inhibitors have serious dangers. My personal decision was to use the calcium as I am more concerned about the PPI issues, but if I drop dead of cardiac calcification I guess we'll know I made the wrong bet.

ETA: For me the issue is that I can't tell the difference between stomach pain and hunger, and in any case eating helps resolve both for me.
    Last edited by loafingcactus; 07-07-2013 at 07:59 AM.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

2Rae is offline Junior Member
    Something similar happens to me as well. I'm eating primal so it doesn't happen as much now. However, there are a few things that will help.
    Don't eat raw veggies that make you burp, cook those even if it's lightly (broccoli for me is NOT going to digest until it's cooked even a tiny bit)
    If I'm getting a lot of gas (Bloated stomach is how it feels/looks on me) it may be due to eating different foods at the same time. So if I am hungry I will eat some protein, then wait for a bit, eat some veggies so that my digestion can have time to work on foods individually. Also, during summer when we have more fruit to choose from I get more gas too, that's probably from all the sugar that my body is no longer accustomed to eating.
    If it's a situation where the food goes down, burns or it seems like something is wrong I will take a teaspoon of bitters (an acquired taste) and then a glass of water. That for a few days can give some relief for a yucky tummy.
    Normally we don't feel/hear our stomach gurgle as it goes about it's business so there may be something that she needs to be eating more or less of. However, it would be good to go to a person who can check her to see what that is so she can correct whatever it is. I have an herbalist here in Oregon that helps me to check on what's amiss in my body, not easy to zip over here from where you are.
    There are lots of little things that can throw a person off: Parasites, something in the water supply, too much sugar, too little salt, too little fat, too little water, too much water (not typically an issue for me most of the time) too many complex carbs at one sitting, too much grains-that is why I don't eat them anymore-they make me feel STARVING even right after I eat.
    I would encourage her to seek a person who can muscle check her to see what the issue is to heal it naturally with changes in her diet to begin with. The cleaner we eat the easier it is to find out where the problems are coming from. Hope this helps in some way.
    I know I HATE feeling hungry, so I've constructed my eating of fats, protein and veggies so that doesn't happen as often as when I ate the tiny bit of grains that I did. Sometimes it would be that one cracker or bite of bread, it just was no longer worth the risk any more so out they went.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    Yeah, just to clarify if she hasn't eaten in a while, she will feel hungry and then these symptoms will appear. We're in Singapore so its hard to eat primally here.
    What do you mean by "a while"? If it's three or four hours since the last meal then of course she would be hungry. So eat another (decent primal) meal that will keep you going for another four hours.

You say it's "hard to eat primally". It can't be iimpossible to buy meat and veges. Just do it and see if it helps.