Thread: Omega 3 content of butter page

Styopa is offline Junior Member

Omega 3 content of butter

Primal Fuel
    Hi,

this is my first post and I thought you might find this information interesting. Looking for grassfed butter - well okay butter from grassfed cows - I stumbled across a study commissioned by Greenpeace Germany. Basically, it says that the omega 3 content of organic butter is higher than that of conventional butter. The table which contains many commonly available butter brands in Germany can be found here: http://www.greenpeace.de/fileadmin/g...ter_omega3.pdf
    It's in German but I guess you will understand the content nevertheless. Just one thing: "Marke" is "brand" in English. (It will probably be more interesting for readers in Germany but if you've always wanted to know the omega 3 and 6 content of Kerrygold you will find that information here, too).

I wonder about one thing, though. As ratios seem to be so important with omegas, is Kerrygold - despite it's markedly lower omega 3 content but a 0.9:1.4 ratio healthier than the organic brands with a 1:2 ratio? (I hope I got the maths right here.)

PS: They did the same thing for yoghurt: http://www.greenpeace.de/fileadmin/g...urt_omega3.pdf

Progenitor is offline Junior Member
    I use a lot of ghee and Kerrygold is my main butter so this is good information to know. I like butter as my main source of fat and calories because total PUFA is so low (even in conventional dairy). Getting some O-3 in seafood easily balances the O-6 bias in dairy. I would not use dairy as a main source of O-3 (notice that Kerrygold has less than 1g O-3 in a 100 gram serving!).

Pastured butter is also a good source of CLAs. I would be more worried about the excess O-6 in conventional pork items than dairy.

Thank you, Progenitor. I will give the seafood suggestion a try. I don't eat much conventional pork fortunately. One of our major news magazines featured a story about conventionally raised animals this week. It's disgusting what they do to these animals.

Progenitor is offline Junior Member
    You should check nutritiondata.com for the contents of O-3 in fish also. Some fish have a 1:1 ratio so they will help your overall diet less in making your ratio better (but you will still get plenty of protein from these fish). The main three fishes I eat are: Salmon (often canned), mackerel and sardines. All three have great omega ratios and are generally low in mercury as well.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that website. Good to know that the fish I like are also the ones which have a good ratio. Mackerel is the star of them all I think.

Nutritionator is offline Senior Member
    Canned sardines are an amazing way to get more Omega-3's. I get a tin of 3 fish at Trader Joes for 1.99, usually about 4g of Omega 3's per tin, pretty good dose that will help balance your ratio out.
    My Paleo Project:

www.nutritionator.com

annice is offline Junior Member
    Well, you should take seafoods like sardines. salmon etc. They contain high amount of omega 3 fatty acids. Beside that taking soya beans, nuts, butter will also good for you. Beside that you can also take omega supplements like Hypercet omega. It provides you benefits of three essential fatty acids like Omega 3, 6 & 9.

peril is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Butter has more significant nutrients than a paltry amount of Omega3. Vitamin K2 comes from few sources and is important to heart health
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine