Thread: VLC to carbs? A friend's wedding is coming up.... page

QuasPrimas is offline Junior Member

VLC to carbs? A friend's wedding is coming up....

Shop Now
    Guys, I haven't been able to find much on this subject so I thought I'd pick your brains.

I was 25 years old and 300lbs at the beginning of February, and accustomed to eating pretty much whatever and however much I wanted. Large pizza by myself in one sitting? Yep. Ice cream? Sure. Five beers with friends? Absolutely. You get the idea.

I knew I needed to get a handle on my health, so I started eating primal, and practicing intermittent fasting. Gradually, I found that things seemed to go better if I just cut out the carbs entirely, because my lifestyle is unfortunately quite sedentary and carbs seemed to just slow or stop my weight loss and create cravings for sugary stuff I knew I couldn't have. I wasn't able to be active enough to burn them off.

So, for about the last 3 months I've been eating nothing but meat, and a little bit of cheese sometimes as a snack, and drinking water. Pretty austere, but I feel good, and it's working very well. I'm currently weighing about 219 and feel great. I'd be more than happy to just continue this regimen for another few months uninterrupted until I lose all the excess body fat. Unfortunately, there's a snag....

My best friend's wedding is coming up in another state at the end of the month. I've taken a week off work to go. So, my big quandary is, what do I do as regards my diet/eating?

Do I surreptitiously subsist on supermarket summer sausage? (Hey, that line kinda has a ring to it!)

Do I just declare my vacation a "cheat week" and resume eating like I did before adopting a more primal/VLC lifestyle? This appeals to me because his wedding happens to be in a city where I lived for 2 years with some of the most delicious food I've ever had the pleasure of tasting, so the temptation to go hog-wild is going to be fierce.

Do I try to adopt a more moderate course between these extremes?

Do I need to start eating a few more carbs now in order to acclimate my body? (I went to cracker barrel and had a green salad a couple of weeks ago; the experiment ended rather badly, with me spending a couple of hours the following day in the bathroom, which makes me very nervous....)

I've been worrying about this for weeks, so any thoughts/experience y'all may have would be greatly appreciated!

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I do not think any "ramp up" is needed.

I do think you want to have SOLID plans for how you are going to get back on track when you get back- whether you plan on going wild or just are facing the danger. As I'm sure you are aware, you have done something amazing and rare in losing the amount of weight you have lost, and it needs to be protected like the most valuable thing you have. I'm in the 99% that relapses (twice...) and for me this would be a very dangerous thing- again, planned or unplanned. This is why I think the planning for the recovery is so very, very important.

So what I'm saying is, what you do that week doesn't matter nearly as much as what you do when you get home.
    Last edited by loafingcactus; 07-05-2013 at 07:36 PM.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    If seeing commercial food sends you into a "jailbreak" frenzy then your current diet may be too restrictive. Food is a lot more than fat and carbs and you might be developing some deficiencies (remember the carnivorous cultures were eating marrow, glands, kidneys, etc.) I know simplicity is appealing but I would definitely add some clean plant material. If you're been without it for a long time your gut bugs may not be configured for it but they adapt. Returning to your diet after the travel should be comforting and not depressing.

My travel strategy is a mixture of fasting, planning, and common sense. If there's a social restaurant meal I check the menu online ahead of time and decide what I'm going to order. If there's not, I hunt for supermarket salad/deli bars. If I eat anything non-Primal I do so because it's offered socially and spontaneously, not because I'm hunting for opportunities.
    36//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

pabs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    If seeing commercial food sends you into a "jailbreak" frenzy then your current diet may be too restrictive. Food is a lot more than fat and carbs and you might be developing some deficiencies
    +1

Weddings are a social occasion and food is part of it. I would say go with the moderation approach. That being said though, I just got back from a family holiday on which I gained 8 pounds because i wasn't allowed to eat meat (my family are strict vegetarian and I had to go by the house rules) and I found their food hardly satiating and thus went crazy eating whatever I could get my hands on in an effort to not be hungry.

QuasPrimas is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    If seeing commercial food sends you into a "jailbreak" frenzy then your current diet may be too restrictive. Food is a lot more than fat and carbs and you might be developing some deficiencies (remember the carnivorous cultures were eating marrow, glands, kidneys, etc.) I know simplicity is appealing but I would definitely add some clean plant material. If you're been without it for a long time your gut bugs may not be configured for it but they adapt. Returning to your diet after the travel should be comforting and not depressing.

My travel strategy is a mixture of fasting, planning, and common sense. If there's a social restaurant meal I check the menu online ahead of time and decide what I'm going to order. If there's not, I hunt for supermarket salad/deli bars. If I eat anything non-Primal I do so because it's offered socially and spontaneously, not because I'm hunting for opportunities.
    I don't think it's a diet thing, because I'm not tempted to stray when I am living at home, day to day. (And I do try to eat eggs, marrow, sweetbreads, liver, etc. to keep my nutritional profile sound.) I'd be tempted to go crazy even if I were not dieting at all, simply because this city has some of the best food I've ever eaten, and it's likely I won't be back for a long time. I've always loved pizza, for example, and the three best pizza places I've ever eaten at are all located here -being there for a week and not visiting one of them will be an exceedingly difficult feat.

My current plan is to pretty much keep to my standard diet as much as possible. Meat, eggs, cheese, depending on what I can get. I've resigned myself to not being able to keep to my current regimen, simply because social expediency will require some compromise. I can't very well abstain at the rehearsal dinner, for example, (I'm to be the best man) and I have no idea whether said dinner will be at a restaurant (much less which one) or whether it's to be an informal home-cooked affair. Depending on how I feel, I *may* allow myself to visit one of the pizza places, for example. In fact, I will probably do so towards the beginning of the week, simply to get it out of my system, and so that if there are any untoward effects, they can be worked out before the big day itself. I'm most worried about the effects of reintroducing carbs to gut flora who aren't used to them. Anybody have any experience in this regard?

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    keep in mind the bad tummy-you do not want to be at the front of the church clamping your rectum to avoid an embarrassing accident. You're already going to have to compromise at the set meals
    Food isn't the only enjoyment. stick with what suits you man!
    Going hog wild isn't a brilliant idea.
    is it really worth it for what really is such a fleeting pleasure?
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Groking Around is offline Junior Member
    Learn More
    Just keep doing what you're doing if it is working for you. When you get there you should feel free to maybe go 80%primal/20%other, or whatever ratio you like. When you come back you can just get back to doing what you were doing before. I definitely would not advocate going hog-wild though and you should be very cautious when reintroducing foods for the first time as you do not know how you may react and would not want to spend the week in the bathroom.
    Last edited by Groking Around; 07-06-2013 at 11:17 AM.