Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Failure? :/ page

Kj94 is offline Junior Member

Primal Failure? :/

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I've tried primal, felt better, and then lost it on a camping trip to smores and all sorts of junk food. I WANT to be healthy but I can't seem to give up "junk" for more than a few days before I end up binging on it... any suggestions? Especially since tomorrow I leave for vacation and I don't want to lose control :/

patski is offline Senior Member
    Go Kaleo | Are you as tired of fad diet as I am?

Don't damn yourself for eating junk. Please.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Annieh is online now Senior Member
    Not really. You have to want the benefits more than you want the junk. Knowing that the junk is addictive you may have to try all sorts of tricks on yourself at first to keep away from it. Things like cleaning out your house of all non primal junk, planning ahead, keeping primal snacks with you etc Props to help yourself keep to your commitment to yourself until it becomes second nature.

Zach is offline Banned
    Change your diet to suit you. If you like "junk food" then eat a diet that mimics that but keep it mostly primal foods. High fruit, chocolate, dairy (ice cream), etc. Being healthy does not mean you have to eat meat and veg all day.

2Rae is offline Junior Member
    First of all don't give junk up, get rid of it. I don't throw the garbage out and then go dig thru to eat some of it that may be rotten and make me sick. That's what it is, toxic waste made into pretty and tasty items that are also made with ingredients to form an addictive reaction in us. Think to yourself "I do things that are good for me, I refuse to do things to damage me". For instance I eat real unprocessed food and do NOT eat Drano, poison ivy, arsenic or any other poison even tho it smells, tastes, looks like food. Allow yourself to smell things and enjoy that but remember to keep it outside your clean body. I smelled some very nice bread the other night at dinner but ate only the butter on my spoon. That's the best part anyway. Just do your best. It will get easier every time you step forward.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal is not a dichotomy. It's not pass/fail. Sounds like you at some things you know weren't nourishing foods on one particular occasion. So what? Get up the next day, vow to do your best, and know that you'll refine it over time.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Be less restrictive in small amounts throughout the week rather than being obsessively restrictive and then cracking.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    If you don't plan ahead how you are going to deal with situations to eat differently, you will fall into your old routines ("Failing to plan is planning to fail."). So if you really want this vacation to be different, you have to start thinking now how that is going to work. Meal by meal, situation by situation, what are you going to do?

And his is what are you going to do to meet YOUR goals... What those goals are is up to you and some other people have already said some great things on this point.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    Just keep in mind that 'Junk' is engineered, by scientists, to trick the transmitters in your brain so the ones that swoon at bacon can get triggered by fritos. They flavor and color margarine so your brain thinks it's grassfed butter. Kool aid will have the aroma of a fresh-picked berry. We know and love those chemicals in our primal brain, and food scientists know how to create food illusions to f*&K with us. To the point where some of us have never had the "real thing" they are copying!

Above all, don't call it failure. Hunger is a signalling mechanism. Pay attention to what you are hungry for, and try to eat the whole food that does the job.

I can't find the link, but some Paleo/Primal genius went camping, put bananas and chocolate in tinfoil and put it on the grill, then ate it warm. I'd put marshmallows in there too.

ETA: true story; the first time I tasted wild-picked, super-ripe blackberries that I picked myself, my first thought was, 'this tastes just like Bubblicious gum.'
    Last edited by fitmom; 07-05-2013 at 07:46 PM.

F.Fellini is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Change your diet to suit you. If you like "junk food" then eat a diet that mimics that but keep it mostly primal foods. High fruit, chocolate, dairy (ice cream), etc. Being healthy does not mean you have to eat meat and veg all day.
    Yep, this is spot on. Just eat healthy "junk"---fresh fruit, cheese, chocolate, coconut products, steak, burgers without buns, dried fruit, sweet potatoes, dates, homemade marshmallows or gummy bears (with stevia if sugar bothers you), homemade potato chips, the list goes on and on and on. I would argue that you don't need to change your mindset and "eat clean." Just eat delicious healthy things. They're almost always better tasting than fake crap, anyway.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast