Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal Failure? :/ page 2

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    One thing you have to do is make sure you eat enough healthy primal food. If you are too restrictive on your calories (or certain macros) it is inevitable that you would binge.

QuasPrimas is offline Junior Member
    A few suggestions that have helped me....

1. Don't try to go cold turkey. People are different, but for me personally it was a heck of a lot easier to know that I could still have those things, "just not right now." I used to love chocolate milkshakes. I could still have them... I just needed to wait until the weekend when I relaxed a little bit. Eventually, I gave them up altogether, but in the meantime it was much less traumatic and reduced the cravings massively to reassure myself that I was not going to be permanently deprived.

2. Eat more fat and protein. These are good for you, and will power your body efficiently. They also fill you up in a way that no carbs or junk food possibly can, because of the hormonal effects of carbohydrates, which stimulate hunger. When you've just eaten a big steak, you're FULL. The very thought of even the most delicious s'mores sounds bad, because you simply are not hungry.

3. Make substitutions. For example, instead of eating a Snickers bar, develop a taste for really dark (like 80%) chocolate. It will taste bitter at first until you get used to it, but it's much better for you, you won't feel compelled to eat as much of it because the taste is so much stronger, and it lets you satisfy that "chocolate" urge, if you have one. After awhile, as you break the carb-addiction cycle, it will be easier and easier to resist the temptation to give in. If you're at a fast food joint with your family, instead of getting a burger, fries, and a big coke, get a big burger with cheese, bacon, no bun or veggies, and unsweet tea or water. Optimal? Probably not. But it will fill you up and will be a heck of a lot better than giving in and having those fries, that coke, and maybe an ice cream sundae too. Sometimes perfection is the enemy of "good enough," and it often happens that if we strive too much for the former, we achieve neither.

4. The most difficult part of a diet is the social aspect. It's embarrassing not to be able to shamelessly indulge in everything our friends do. It's awkward having to decline a piece of birthday cake at work. Keep this in mind and make whatever prudent changes you can to avoid "occasions of sin" -avoid being put in situations where you know the likelihood of being tempted to eat junk is going to be high.

*Edited to add:

5. Clean your kitchen and refrigerator. If it comes in a box, chances are it's not good for you. 90% of the edible, nutritious stuff from the store, the real food, is found around the edges -the meat, eggs, cheese, and fresh produce sections. The stuff in the aisles in fancy packaging is generally all overprocessed, chemical-laden junk. Don't go to those aisles, and clean out your kitchen cabinets, which, if they're anything like mine, were full of that sort of stuff. If you have it in your kitchen, it's available to eat easily, and so in a week moment you will eat it, and then regret it. Throw out what's expired and donate the rest to a food pantry.
    Last edited by QuasPrimas; 07-05-2013 at 08:27 PM.

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    You only fail if you stop completely. Some people take longer to completely get off of SAD foods than others.

Kj94 is offline Junior Member
    Okay, so I guess what I'm getting from everyone here is to start small, plan, eat a whole food/healthy form of my "junk" food, and to never give up. Thanks everyone I'll keep this topic on hand and in my thoughts this week.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Kj94 is offline Junior Member
    Oh and unfortunately, as much as I would LOVEEEEE to clean out all of the crap from my kitchen, I don't think my parents and little sister would be too happy so with that I guess I'll have to tough it out :P

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    And, as was mentioned above, eat a LOT of real food so you don't want much else. By "real" I mean basically anything with positive health benefits. So a whole bar of (dark, real) chocolate chased with two cups of berries is on the menu! Better than fake chocolate with kool-aid, etc. Actually, it's very, very much better in ways we're just begining to grasp.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

pabs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Go Kaleo | Are you as tired of fad diet as I am?

Don't damn yourself for eating junk. Please.
    +1

I had the same problem as you. JakeJoh suggested I read Lyle McDonald's guide to flexible dieting which has been helping me big time. Good luck!

Most of this permissive, laziness worship must be coming from neurotypicals, am I right? I try to parrot it sometimes, but it's getting to be too much lately. e.g. "Oh, have a pile of trans fat once a week, who cares, you're going to die anyway, right?" We've got to put the breaks on this monster, seriously. how hard is it to avoid poisonous things? I mean, pack some nuts and jerky, better to fast than eat a twinkie, people.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Most of this permissive, laziness worship must be coming from neurotypicals, am I right? I try to parrot it sometimes, but it's getting to be too much lately. e.g. "Oh, have a pile of trans fat once a week, who cares, you're going to die anyway, right?" We've got to put the breaks on this monster, seriously. how hard is it to avoid poisonous things? I mean, pack some nuts and jerky, better to fast than eat a twinkie, people.
    Personally, I just don't want her (or anyone) to give up because of a minor setback. We all set the parameters for what kind and quantity of non-nourishing/detrimental foods we're willing to have in our lives, but we didn't say "Oh damn, I failed" just because we didn't adhere 100% from day 1. I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm basically saying don't let perfect be the enemy of the good.

PrimalCon New York
    Yes, I agree. But it feels icky. I cheated a lot my first few months, and I think that was good for me, because it made the transition gentler. So I just have to remember how it was when I was new, I think. But in the long run, poison is still poison. Meh. People will find their way if they are committed.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast