Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digestion compromised after food poisoning ... page

Coll is offline Senior Member

Digestion compromised after food poisoning ...

Two weeks ago I came down with a bona fide case of food poisoning. That is all over and yet I now have a lot of discomfort after eating - for hours afterwards. I am wondering if I am not able to digest my food properly now. I have been drinking kefir and kombucha and eating yoghurt as well as typical primal food and had anticipated everything being back to normal by now.

I tried taking a medication for reflux but it did nothing. I feel full all the time, almost to the point of nausea. I am eating MUCH less than usual, constantly feel as though I need to burp. Doesn't matter if I am upright or horizontal - same discomfort all the time. Early morning is fine until I eat ... some foods seem to work ok and others not.

Should I try fasting for a day or two? Or exclude certain foods for a while? Or include others ... thinking high enzyme foods... Anyone else had this? I am grain free and have been for over a year. Have never had reflux or heartburn - ideas anyone?
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 224.8 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I have heard of lactose intolerance coming on after an illness. You are consuming dairy products. That might be an issue, but it would be easy to test.

Mmm, maybe I should go off dairy for a few days and see how that works. I need something to change...

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I was never one for drinking fresh milk. When I got pregnant my mother convinced me that I needed to drink it for the baby. That lasted about a weekend of painful bloating, the only symptom I had.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Dairy would not be my first source of food after food poisoning, that's for sure. I would stick to lighter proteins, more fruits and vegetables. That's worked for me in the past.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I think after two weeks still having symptoms, I'd probably see a doctor. They may not be great when it comes to nutritional advice, but they're usually pretty good diagnosticians and cutters.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

I have an appointment for Monday - just hoping to see some improvement in the meantime! I have never had issues with dairy - we drink raw milk with no bad effects at all. And kefir is almost completely lactose free so I don't really think that is the issue. However I am going to try for real light meals like scrambled eggs and chicken soup and see if that improves anything.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I thought bona fide meant medically diagnosed, now that we know it doesn't:
    People are terrible at diagnosing food poisoning. Consistently things that are not other things are called food poisoning and real food poisoning is called other things. Definitely, see a doctor.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

I know enough to know that it was food poisoning - I am an RN with many years experience, I know that there are a lot of things out there that can look like food poisoning, but this wasn't that. I am seeing a doc on Monday, but I was wondering what others have tried that works with compromised digestion. FWIW I had scrambled eggs and salad for breakfast and it is less uncomfortable than some of the other foods I have tried. Making chicken soup for lunch.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When I have stomach / intestinal upset for whatever reason I find it helpful to drink only bone broth for the rest if the day, then assess the situation in the morning. Then I attempt single foods and go from there.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast