Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Best way to recover from a stroke? page

  1. #1
    brooke.S.'s Avatar
    brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    581

    Best way to recover from a stroke?

    Primal Fuel
    A close family member just had a stroke a couple of days ago. I've been deemed the nutrition guru in the family so I hope to offer more than what I already know about diet.

    One thing I'm concerned about is the food they serve in the hospital. She will be there at least anther week before going into a rehab center. This time period just seems too critical for her to be eating the junk I saw on her dinner tray yesterday. Normally, she eats a pretty healthy diet besides the whole wheat bread. Fresh, homegrown berries, oats, coconut oil, pistachios, an egg a day, veggies, and uses coconut oil some. I want to see if there is a gluten free option at the hospital. I figure it will have more nutritionally dense food being that they most likely won't go to the trouble to fix meals with gluten free flours, etc.

    I want to suggest tumeric curcumin as a supplement when she starts rehab. I don't want her to get back on statins but I don't know that my family will listen to me if I try to be doctor. I would appreciate any links about statins, etc. Isn't there a tea that works to lower cholesterol?

    Also, any advice about anything to do with recovering from a stroke. Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    DennyB's Avatar
    DennyB is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    233
    Not knowing anything about the patient its hard to give any recommendations. I had a stroke at 17 (im now 36) and awoke from a coma 4 days later in a locked in state (all i could move were my eyes). Slowly i regained most of my right side but only about 10% of my left. If I had to do rehab over again id concentrate on core and balance exercises for my left side, doing this ive shown more progress in the last year than since my stroke. On diet its hard to recommend anything, the doctors will recommend avoiding saturated fats like the plague. I however believe in the paleo principles and my saturated fat intake has gone through the roof with no ill effects. In fact my cholesterol, bp and rhr readings are better now than my baseline readings which were shortly after my stroke. Good luck!

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

  3. #3
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,307
    Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post
    One thing I'm concerned about is the food they serve in the hospital. She will be there at least anther week before going into a rehab center. This time period just seems too critical for her to be eating the junk I saw on her dinner tray yesterday. Normally, she eats a pretty healthy diet besides the whole wheat bread. Fresh, homegrown berries, oats, coconut oil, pistachios, an egg a day, veggies, and uses coconut oil some. I want to see if there is a gluten free option at the hospital. I figure it will have more nutritionally dense food being that they most likely won't go to the trouble to fix meals with gluten free flours, etc.
    Get a doctor to prescribe her diet. It is not up to the hospital to decide not to feed her food she can eat. Then supplement it by bringing in a meal or snack a day for her.

  4. #4
    patski's Avatar
    patski is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Suburbs of Toronto
    Posts
    1,239
    Sleep. Lots and lots of sleep.

    Read "My Stroke of Insight" by Jill Bolte Taylor. Simply amazing story.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

    Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

  5. #5
    brooke.S.'s Avatar
    brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyB View Post
    Not knowing anything about the patient its hard to give any recommendations. I had a stroke at 17 (im now 36) and awoke from a coma 4 days later in a locked in state (all i could move were my eyes). Slowly i regained most of my right side but only about 10% of my left. If I had to do rehab over again id concentrate on core and balance exercises for my left side, doing this ive shown more progress in the last year than since my stroke. On diet its hard to recommend anything, the doctors will recommend avoiding saturated fats like the plague. I however believe in the paleo principles and my saturated fat intake has gone through the roof with no ill effects. In fact my cholesterol, bp and rhr readings are better now than my baseline readings which were shortly after my stroke. Good luck!

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Denny- I am so sorry to hear you have been through all that! Her left side is fully functioning. Her right is not... YET.

  6. #6
    brooke.S.'s Avatar
    brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Get a doctor to prescribe her diet. It is not up to the hospital to decide not to feed her food she can eat. Then supplement it by bringing in a meal or snack a day for her.
    I'm going to ask to talk about her diet tomorrow. I'm planning to make her a drink with raw goat milk and banana for tomorrow. It will be easy for her to drink. They are giving her 2% milk, so I don't think anyone will object her having that.

  7. #7
    brooke.S.'s Avatar
    brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Sleep. Lots and lots of sleep.

    Read "My Stroke of Insight" by Jill Bolte Taylor. Simply amazing story.
    I will check into this. Thank you!

  8. #8
    spk's Avatar
    spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington - US
    Posts
    401
    brookesam - so very sorry this has happened to your family member. My family member who had a stroke, it was linked to post-surgery clot and I don't recall the physicians harping on saturated fat reduction. But then, we were a bit distracted.

    The Stroke of Insight book is excellent. Turmeric can't hurt; I like this critical extract and believe it's a potentially good supplement: (it is ridiculously expensive right now because they ran out and only restocked a couple weeks ago). The price goes on a big discount occasionally.

    Turmeric Curcumin Tri-Force

    I can't agree more with the earlier commenter about a really targeted rehab. It helped my family member tremendously and tho' she never fully regained function on one side, she made incredible gains when pushed to challenge her expectations of her body. And she was elderly so that was a gift.

    If they are put on coumadin blood thinner, be cautious about incorporating foods high in Vit. K or that will increase the thinning too much. Bruises will be your first clue it's happening. And they may have a hard time w/ swallowing certain foods or even liquids; you'll see that soon enough and will adjust.

    Sorry to ramble; this was a major event for our family and it was all hands on deck! Big breath now, you can do it. I wish you the best

  9. #9
    CarbDodger's Avatar
    CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    785
    I'm sorry this has happened. I don't know if you're aware i had a major stroke 10 years ago. I eventually made a superb recovery so I will talk to you about that.I obviously wasn't primal then.
    1- she needs plenty of rest and sleep-her brains had a major injury but it initially heals in sleep. make sure she doesn't have so many visitors that she cant sleep when she needs
    2 her need for protein just shot up but her appetites probably dropped. if the stroke affected her mouth she's going to find it hard to chew and control her tongue. If she has a slur to her speech take it from me it feels pretty bad inside. if its affected her leading arm cutting stuff up and holding things is hard and its depressing.
    3 statins- you need to read up on these-I know their role in cholesterol is debated hotly but there is a lot of compelling research that they vastly reduce risk of further stokes in the following 5 years - i took one on the advice of a neurologist even though my cholesterol was normal. I took it for the full risk 5 years and I'd take it again to be honest. The risk of further strokes is real and they get worse with cumulative damage. The problems with statins are minor when compared to the risk 8f losing cognitive functioning,independent movement or ones life. I don't have time just now but i will find you links later today; she will need an anticoagulant though.
    4 mental state she needs to be as positive as possible but a stroke affects neurotransmitters and depletes serotonin creating post stroke depression. I found a supplement called neurozan very useful. If she needs an antidepressant in a few weeks she should get one ,tricyclics are of more use than SSRI's.
    5 protein portions in hospital are often inadequate so get the family to supplement protein snacks
    6 she does need access to carbs- her brain shouldn't have to struggle for energy and it needs addquate amounts while its rebuilding and rewiring . Fruit is good for the moment but make it stuff that's easy to chew.
    7 Her diet will be low fat in hospital and rehab - you could take her berries and cream, a smoothie that involves cream as well as milk or a primal dessert made with butter every few days I guess.
    8 wheat - i really don't know-personally some days all I could manage was a piece of toast. if her appetites ok then suggest the gluten free but if her appetites crap save that till she's a bit further along into recovery. she does need energy and the most excellent nutrition in the world wont help if she doesn't eat it.
    9 control- she's suddenly lost a lot of her personal autonomy and you don't have much control over your own life when in care after a stroke, you are scared and vulnerable and people make choices for you. please be aware of this as it can make you feel pretty useless. get her involved in nutritional changes rather than imposing them- get her excited and positive if you can- that is so good for the brain and the psyche.
    10 rehab is hard but essential, she needs to be kept as positive about this as possible.
    I'll get back with links later
    can i ask are you in visiting distance?
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

  10. #10
    brooke.S.'s Avatar
    brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    581
    Wow, carbdodger. I had no idea you had a stroke! I am so sorry you went through all that. You are such a strong woman!

    Thank you so much... This info is very helpful. We are in the same town and hopefully her rehab will be only 5 minutes from me.

    Do you think whey would be decent enough to add to the goat milk/banana drink I'm going to bring her today?

    She doesn't want to be left alone and she was asking to leave yesterday. It makes us so sad. She was seemed agitated yesterday and had trouble keeping her heart rate down. Did you experience any if that?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •