Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Kids--Is it safe? page

ScarletFrost is offline Junior Member

Primal Kids--Is it safe?

Hi everyone. I have a 6-year old daughter who wants to go primal like her parents. I'm all for it, but my husband has some reservations about putting a young child on a diet without goldfish crackers and spaghetti. Our daughter is also very small for her age, in the lower 3 percentile of average heights for her age, and skinny as a string bean. However, she's currently healthy without any growth abnormalities, and her size, while small, is pediatrician approved.

Part of the reason I'd like her to go on the primal diet is that since I've given up wheat, my milk allergy has disappeared. My daughter has shared this milk allergy and she would love to be able to drink milk again, but at the same time we want to keep her calorie intake up and she's a natural carb-ivour.

So does anyone have any advice or research to share about putting kids on a primal diet? Is it safe? Is it different from an adult primal diet?
    "The most dangerous ideas in a society are not the ones that are being argued, but the ones that are assumed." C.S. Lewis

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Is it safe for kids to eat healthy while foods? Meat, seafood, frit and veg?...

I'd wager the answer is yes.

Why are you both eating primal? How can it be safe for you but not for her?

What vital nutrients does he feel will be missing from her diet if she hates like you.

I'd say if she's healthy and not over weight, let her eat whatever she wants as long as it's primal. Buy that i mean don't worry too much fruit, not enough if this etc.

Most kids go through phases of liking or bit lining particular foods, as long as she only had good options to choose from that's fine. Her body will most likely respond well and guide her to eat what she needs to.

You won't be able to control everything she eats 100% of the time, so just make sure it's all good at home and don't sweat it if she had some candy etc at get grandparents or friends house. The only concern would be gluten if it does turn out that she shares your intolerance to it.
    Last edited by Misabi; 07-05-2013 at 03:17 PM.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Is it safe for kids to eat natural foods? I suppose so. I grew up fine.

Just make sure she gets plenty of carbs.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    So primal might be safe for you and hubby but not for her? That logic doesn't make sense to me.

I mean if you're doing it for health reasons then what benefits that you get out of it won't she be able to get? It you're worried about carbs you have fruit and starchy tubers.

Just make sure her caloric levels are in check and go for it!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Just make sure she gets plenty of carbs.
    Depends on activity level I'd say. I'd start with Perfect Health Diet recommendation of 125-150 a day and go up from there if she's extremely active.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Got a 6 and 3 year old myself that are Primal kids and they are doing great!

Rice cereal and raw milk are used frequently for them vs. me and the wifes adult version.

Other than that we all eat the same stuff.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I agree with Misabi, ask your husband what nutrients he feels she will be missing if she eat primally. If he worries about her carb intake she doesn't have to be low carb, she can have rice, potatoes, fruit, she can even have rice pasta. Our 15 yr old son eats this way, he is 5'10" and very healthy so if it can fuel a growing teenager I'm sure it can work for younger kids.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Perfectly fine! Real food is always best. Incorporate more of the Perfect Health Diet for her: potatoes, sweet potatoes, white rice and rice pasta, etc. You can make delicious homemade goldfish crackers with rice and tapioca flour. Also, rice spaghetti is delish. If she likes her carbs, she will probably love it. Fruit, freshly squeezed fruit and veggie juice, soups, cheese -- all kid-friendly.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Hi Scarlet,

for a tiny child like yours, deficient foods like crackers and spaghetti are precisely the things that need to be minimized in her diet. All primal foods - eggs, meat, plenty veges and fruit are nutrient dense and will help to build her up.

My daughter was similar, under the 3 percentile but otherwise healthy. I had to learn to make every bite count. Extra butter, cream etc. Make sure her food is easy to eat, ie tender, cut into bite sizes etc. Whatever will get it into her. Yes she can eat carbs such as sweet potato but make sure they are also drenched in fat, to keep the calories up. Whip an egg into everything. Whole milk not skim.

Now she is 12 and still lean but very fit and muscular, robust and healthy. SHe eats more junk than I would like, but at least not at the expense of real food. When younger there really was no room for junk at all, it would just destroy her appetite.

Best wishes.

astromom is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have a very small daughter as well. She's 10 and in the 3-5th percentile as well. We have found that gradually converting her to primal works best - she likes rice spaghetti, eggs, meats, fruits and veggies. She still occasionally eats bread, but we've gotten her off her daily bagel or two. She's happy and healthy and is getting and more primal in her choices.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast