Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Primal Kids--Is it safe? page 3

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    you please learn to carve... stupid... from your brain!

yeah
    Feels like You just got... - YouTube

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Our very existence is a fact that a Primal diet worked for humans biologically identical to us for tens or hundreds of thousands of years. Also, this:

Meat Builds Husky Babies! Sociological Images
    I seem to vaguely remember when liver and heart were considered baby food.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Feed your growing child a diet of nutrient dense, unprocessed, real food? What kind of monster are you??!! Lol

Just don't restrict her carbohydrates. Growing kids have higher energy needs. Primal is not low carb by default.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

ScarletFrost is offline Junior Member
    Thank you everyone for your input. I appreciate it all; Even the sarcastic comments.

Don't think too badly of my husband. Even though he's lost 5 pounds on his first 2 weeks of a Primal Diet, he doesn't understand it yet. (Not for lack of me talking about it or pushing the research on him.) My husband is like a rock--which is good when I need to rely on him. But at the same time, it takes a lot to convince him of something. He's stubborn and set in his ways, but he's also dedicated, loyal, and unshakable.

I'm just going to keep wearing him down with the facts, and we're going to stock the house with lots of nutritious food. Soon, it will not be economical to spend extra money on low-nutrient snacks for my daughter. I love the suggestions about rice noodles and other high-carb primal-friendly foods. I think that will really help reassure him that she's getting enough to eat. I think his biggest fear is that because the diet is helping him to loose weight, it will cause our daughter to loose weight, which wouldn't be good for her.

Thanks again for all the reassurance. I'm much more confidant now.
    "The most dangerous ideas in a society are not the ones that are being argued, but the ones that are assumed." C.S. Lewis

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarletFrost View Post
    I love the suggestions about rice noodles and other high-carb primal-friendly foods. I think that will really help reassure him that she's getting enough to eat. I think his biggest fear is that because the diet is helping him to loose weight, it will cause our daughter to loose weight, which wouldn't be good for her.
    Maybe you could "sell it" like this to him:

Primal is NOT a weight loss diet.
    Primal is a healthy way of eating that can bring people closer to their ideal healthy weight.

For him : he's too 'heavy' and he will loose weight by eating healthy food (maybe limit the carbs to do this)
    For the daughter : she's under-weight she will gain weight and grow by eating healthy food (eat plenty of carbs)

In both case the weight changes for the better.

Usually people move towards their proper healthy weight when eating healthy foods.

I am a fully grown adult, I initially lost weight (mostly fat) about 13lb and became very lean (~140), then the last 3 months or so I adjusted the amounts and ratio's (and recently upped the carbs even more) and now I have gained the 13 lbs back (~153 - again) - difference is the gains were mostly muscle this time (not much fat).

Waist size shrunk when I went from 153 to 140, but did NOT increase when I went from 140 to 153 - shoulders/chest/arms/legs are bigger than before (weight work helps too )

So now I'm a reasonably lean and healthy 153, as opposed to my previous 'soft' not-so-healthy 153 - now a much better composition and general health.

I'm going to continue with the slow weight gains (eating plenty of 'primal foods' & lifting weights) and see if I can comfortably get to somewhere close to 160 ( and if i can carry that weight well) - of course a lean/healthy 160

The 'take-home message' is that you can gain weight eating primal.

Good luck.

ScarletFrost is offline Junior Member
    We're working on different foods to help our daughter. We had almond crepes with organic cream cheese and chicken sausage for breakfast today. We're also including more zucchini and yellow squash in our diet to take the place of noodles and pizza dough. We're also taking lunches of beef summer sausage, cheese, and fresh veggie or fruit. We usually give my daughter milk, fruit, and cheese for breakfast and lunch. She sometimes has a grilled cheese sandwich made with Ezekiel bread. She is a cheese fiend, so almost any cheese is eaten without question, espeically when paired with fruit. She's even become a fan of meet-zzias. She'll eat a drumstick or a few bites of meet, but deep down I think she's a carb-avore (probably because carbs were the only thing I could keep down while I was pregnant with her) so we're trying to find good sources like sweet potatoes, yams, fruits and veggies, and dishes with white rice.
    "The most dangerous ideas in a society are not the ones that are being argued, but the ones that are assumed." C.S. Lewis

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarletFrost View Post
    I think she's a carb-avore (probably because carbs were the only thing I could keep down while I was pregnant with her) so we're trying to find good sources like sweet potatoes, yams, fruits and veggies, and dishes with white rice.
    Um yeah more than one person suggested carbs should be provided to a young growing child - potatoes, sweet potatoes, white rice, yams, fruits, veg.

Probably a good idea to provide plenty of these foods.

Annieh is online now Senior Member
    Scarlett, it's good to see you all still persevering with primal. Your food sounds good, I hope you are all enjoying it and feeling strong and healthy. It's great that your child is eating milk, cheese and fruit with some veges and meat. I would put in another plug for eggs, you can incorporate them in lots of dishes (rice pudding, waffles, muffins, custard) and they are very nutritious. Or she might just like them plain at breakfast or lunch.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123