Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Kids--Is it safe? page 2

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Fruit, vegetables and meat less safe than mass-produced goldfish crackers and nutritionally void spaghetti? Is he mad?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarletFrost View Post
    Hi everyone. I have a 6-year old daughter who wants to go primal like her parents. I'm all for it, but my husband has some reservations about putting a young child on a diet without goldfish crackers and spaghetti. Our daughter is also very small for her age, in the lower 3 percentile of average heights for her age, and skinny as a string bean. However, she's currently healthy without any growth abnormalities, and her size, while small, is pediatrician approved.

Part of the reason I'd like her to go on the primal diet is that since I've given up wheat, my milk allergy has disappeared. My daughter has shared this milk allergy and she would love to be able to drink milk again, but at the same time we want to keep her calorie intake up and she's a natural carb-ivour.

So does anyone have any advice or research to share about putting kids on a primal diet? Is it safe? Is it different from an adult primal diet?
    Our very existence is a fact that a Primal diet worked for humans biologically identical to us for tens or hundreds of thousands of years. Also, this:

Meat Builds Husky Babies! » Sociological Images

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Yes I think kids need much more carbs than adults ( especially if adults are sedentary)

She could eat rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, fruit, veg for carbs.
    PHD diet as mentioned is good - Mark Sisson wrote the forward for their book.
    Mark wrote an article on MDA that rice is a safe grain ( high in Carb if you want/need it but low in other nutrients - so just a carb filler).

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-rice-unhealthy/

Consider rice noodles.

Use search box on MDA page for 'primal children'
    Eg I found this article :
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/raisi...-picky-eaters/
    "I know folks – good, healthy, well-intentioned people who are strongly committed to eating Primal – but feed their kids SAD. They themselves wouldn’t touch the Cheerios or Gold Fish crackers their kids are snacking on, but there’s the paradox."

I'm not a fan of wheat too many toxins for the gut and body and anti-nutrients meaning more nutrients bound up and are excreted with out being absorbed by the body.

No sure if I misunderstood the gold fish cracker bit ( sarcasm???)
    My guessed ingredients are:
    Wheat - toxins and anti nutrients
    Other grains
    Sugar ( maybe HFCS) & salt
    Artificial colours
    Artificial flavours
    Preservatives

So in my opinion if you want her to grow as best she can and be healthy then go for something like a high Carb version of primal or the PHD.

PHD I read the first twenty pages on my mobile device at:
    http://www.scribd.com/mobile/doc/114...800#fullscreen

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    A lot of people who feed their kids a high carb SAD end up displacing protein foods and fresh fruits and vegetables with processed carbs, including gallons of purified "natural" fruit juice and lots of sweetened and unsweetened baked goods. Kids do not need people to attempt to get them to eat lots of carbs. They will eat carbs themselves if they crave them and have some available.

Serve her the same foods you eat, plenty of variety, and let her choose from among those healthy foods. And make sure if she gets hungry between meals she has real food available.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    My daughter has been on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet since 1/01/2006, at which point she was 5 yo. In case you do not know of it, it handles gut issues like ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease, and completely eliminates ALL legumes/beans, ALL grains of any stripe, all added sugars, all tubers, all flours made from starches like tapioca/arrowroot/etc, all dairy until much later, all soy, and some other things around the edges (sugar alcohols like xylitol, seaweed, fruit juices of any kind). She has been consistently followed by a certified nutritionist from the Cleveland Clinic's children's hospital from day one of this diet, just for their reassurance. The only thing I have ever been told after our annual diet study and consult is to "give her a multi and a calcium, but we tell everybody that". Her pediatrician has also always been satisfied.

If my kid can grow, and actually improve her percentages on the growth chart with this strict of a diet, your little one will be just fine on the Primal with some rice and spuds and squashes and the like. Mine eats real food: meat, fish, fowl, eggs, veggies, whole fruits, nuts and seeds, coconut milk and cream, saturated fats from plant and animal spurces, olive oil, fresh herbs, spices - whatever we can make from that list. She will be 13 shortly, and is trim, energetic, proportional in weight and size, still has clear skin despite being in puberty, and hasn't had a cavity since we began this diet.

No, she doesn't cheat - she is a special needs kid, and as such has her life pretty much completely monitored as she cannot be left alone. So I have, in essence, a really good lab specimen as far as diets go.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    i'm not understanding your husband's logic.. wheat products always make a big deal about being advertised as 'enriched with' vitamins and minerals they don't contain, which means that what nutrition she'd be getting from wheat she'd still be getting without wheat

that said, there are several forms of spaghetti. meat and sauce and whatever veggies she likes chunked up in. spaghetti squash noodles. rice/rice noodles. whatever concoction you make up on the fly

as for goldfish, why not little squares of cheddar cheese?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I'm fascinated that not poisoning your kids is being questioned. H. sapiens did not evolve to eat goldfish crackers or spaghetti. This is like asking if it's okay to feed meat to your dog instead of corn pellets.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    My son is primal. My son has been primal since he was 2-ish, and he's strong and healthy.

Sometimes we cook him rice or quinoa at home. At school, he gets rice balls and gluten-free buns in addition to his packed lunch and their fruit snacks and veggie soup.

his usual day is as follows:

Breakfast: 2 eggs in butter plus veggies steamed in bone broth, plus 1/2 cup bone broth, plus berries with yogurt and cod liver oil.

Lunch: 3 meat sliders/balls plus cut veggies (usually cucumbers and bell peppers) plus fruit. obviously, the kindy provides soup, fresh cut fruit, and either rice balls or buns. DS doesn't often eat his lunch, because he gets so much veg/fruit/buns/rice balls.

Snacks: nuts, fruit, left over lunch, cut veggies

Dinner: tonight we had roasted chicken and broccoli and cauliflower with olive oil on the veg. he finished with another bowl of berries and yogurt, this time with flax oil on it.

My son eats a wide variety of foods -- far more than most of his american counterparts. Many kiwi kids eat pretty healthfully overall, just because of how the food supply is here. At least, in our circles, people are either WAPF styled or vegetarian/vegan, so there's a whole lot of whole foods going on.

My son's absolute favorite these days is sushi. He loves sushi! His favorite is salmon.
    Last edited by zoebird; 07-06-2013 at 01:37 AM.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    as for goldfish, why not little squares of cheddar cheese?
    Because that's not as fun. Please learn to carve thousands of tiny fish out of a wheel of cheddar. Thanks.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    you please learn to carve... stupid... from your brain!

yeah
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast