Thread: Average Ratio's Question page

Pinot-Girl is offline Senior Member

Average Ratio's Question

Hey,

Just quickly - I've worked out the average % ratio's over the last almost 2 weeks and they are:

Carbs - 20%
    Protien - 30%
    Fats - 50%

Is that good / bad?

Currently not loosing weight, but I'm not exercising yet either, and welbeing wise, I'm feeling v well. Would like to loose slowly whilst slowly increasing the exercising.

Cheers -
    PG

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    Macro ratios are not the key to loosing weight.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    How many calories are you consuming per day?
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    How many calories are you consuming per day?
    Between 1300-1600 / day....

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    That's fine. If you're into loosing weight I'd recommend changing that to 65% fats, 20% protein, 15% carbs. I don't see your height and weight but maybe lower the calorie range to loose weight.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinot-Girl View Post
    Between 1300-1600 / day....
    Do you know your daily energy expenditure (or your maintenance calories). If you're trying to lose weight, 300 calories makes a big difference. If you want to be consistent I would recommend dialing in a bit more instead of having such a broad range. I think your macronutrient ratios are fine.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    That's fine. If you're into loosing weight I'd recommend changing that to 65% fats, 20% protein, 15% carbs. I don't see your height and weight but maybe lower the calorie range to loose weight.
    Height is 5'4'-ish, weight is hovering at 150lbs.
    40 yr old female.
    Walking & hiking active, just started basic level weight training, ski in the winter, sail in the summer
    Back injury long standing and the acquisition of new SI joint nerve pinch (not connected to Primal) - not a runner at all
    Not on any drugs, don't drink alcohol - fairly healthy in respect to that

thanks!

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinot-Girl View Post
    Hey,

Just quickly - I've worked out the average % ratio's over the last almost 2 weeks and they are:

Carbs - 20%
    Protien - 30%
    Fats - 50%

Is that good / bad?

Currently not loosing weight, but I'm not exercising yet either, and welbeing wise, I'm feeling v well. Would like to loose slowly whilst slowly increasing the exercising.

Cheers -
    PG
    Hi PG, your macros seem ok, if you are having a day or 2 a week that you increase carb intake then that's even better and should ensure long term success.

Proper CICO management is usually where successful fat loss is found. Now there are some very important factors to consider. Throwing a daily calorie deficit at your metabolism doesn't always end up in fat loss. Your metabolism has the option of down regulating instead of using fat when faced with a calorie deficit. Generally what happens is initially your metabolism uses mostly fat from reserves to make up the deficit, but after a while it starts to down regulate itself, if the daily deficit is persisted with over a year or more it can start resulting in metabolic damage.

The reason your metabolism does this is it is a survival mechanism. Your energy reserves (adipose tissue) is a system designed to smooth out daily energy intake fluctuations. Metabolic down reg is a system designed to smooth out seasonal food availability and get you through it until conditions improve. So if your daily cal deficit goes on for months your body starts to recognise a poor season and down regs your metabolism to survive it.

How we avoid this situation is really very easy. Only do a calorie deficit for 3-4 days of the week, the rest of the week eat at your daily requirements, you need an average weekly calorie deficit not a specific daily one. This method will provide conditions for fat loss, it might seem counterintuitive that providing less of a deficit gives more fat loss but it works because you've got your metabolism on your side. The conditions conducive to metabolic down regulation are avoided.

Follow these 2 pieces of simple advice and you should see all the success you want. A carb refeed and a weekly cal deficit not a daily one is all you need to succeed

Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)