Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did you remember to exercise your brain? page

10 Bears is offline Member

Did you remember to exercise your brain?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Having read the blueprint, I was interested to see that there is a suggestion to make certain you keep your mind active (10. Use Your Mind/Brain) to aid with overall health and well-being.

I took this to heart and decided to pick up the guitar again after several years of not practising (I was a self taught teenager and used to throttle the hell out of a series of acoustics!), and I have found it a welcome addition to the change in lifestyle and I'm certainly picking up harder chords and changes much quicker than I used to. I'm still self teaching though, and there are definitely a few bum notes in there!

As an aside, I have also taken a major decision to quit my job and undertake a PhD for 3 1/2 years, starting in October 2013. Now, I'm pretty certain my brain will get a workout doing that too! (but it may not aid the relaxed primal lifestyle - stress, stress, stress, data, data, data, stress, stress stress!)

The reason I mention the 'brain workout' is that the majority of information or commentary on here is to do with eating and exercise, so I thought it would be interesting to see what people have done to make sure their brain gets a workout to aid their lifestyle. Have you done as I have and re-took up an old hobby, or are you learning something new and if so what and how is it going for you?
    Fortune Favours the Brave

I can only talk from my acquired knowledge and experiences. You may have a different view or experience and I will respect that. Please respect mine.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Sudoku.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    every day i read , play freecell and research a topic of interest
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

little vase is online now Senior Member
    I do the NYT crossword puzzle, read, do cryptic crosswords, play board games, decode cyphers for fun, play video games, meditate. I have actually never had a hobby so there's nothing to try again. I'm thinking of raising bees but that's not really a brain exercise.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    I try and make sense of my wife's feelings...
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    that's not exercise, its just torment.
    women's feelings aren't to be understood just pandered to
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

little vase is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    Dude. You take quite a few swipes at your "goddess" (your word, not mine) here.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I find that raising my child and talikng to her is quite an excersise for the brain, since her perspective and her questions are so vivid and she grasps bits and pieces and tries to make sense of it. I am grateful my husband is a teacher, because sometimes a dinner time: Why can't we see water in the air? turns into an evening session of condensation experiments.

I try to use my brain at work. I really do!

I started to read history again after a long period of fantasy and fiction.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Dual N Back (try it) and Duolingo.com

10 Bears is offline Member
    I've just had a look at the Duel N Back and Duolingo suggestions and I may give them a try time permitting. Along the same lines I am registered at Lumosity - Brain Games & Brain Training - Lumosity - another brain training site, but they have a wide range of different 'games' that you can personalise to your own strengths, or indeed weaknesses if you want.

Its quite a nice site in that you get daily training reminders and can track your brain profile over time. Full access requires payment, although, the free elements are excellent too.

Now, I must try understanding my wife and talking to the children more....!
    Fortune Favours the Brave

I can only talk from my acquired knowledge and experiences. You may have a different view or experience and I will respect that. Please respect mine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast