Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Extra Virgin Olive Oil on salads makes me grimace page

Bolivar is offline Senior Member

Extra Virgin Olive Oil on salads makes me grimace

Primal Fuel
    I need to break my salad oil habits, I either use canola oil, or sunflower oil (From the canned fish I eat). I may use squirty cream / single cream also if I dont feel like either.

I DO use olive oil , but imo, it ruins the pleasure of a salad, it just has that despicable tang, I douse my salad with seasoning and spices but bleugh, I can still taste that olive oil. Am I doing it wrong, is extra virgin the wrong type for salad topping (I don't know the different types)

Bleh,bleh bleh...

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Most people like extra virgin - use the lighter colored stuff, it's less natural but more neutral in flavor. You can also try walnut oil.

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    I recently spent a wad on a bottle of avocado oil, just to mix things up (I like EVOO fine). I had it for the first time at lunch today; it seems tasty (I had some avocado slices and olives on the salad too, so the precise taste was hard to pin down). I'm thinking it's way lower in Omega 6 than the nut oils -- my sense from recent reading is that they're not as good an idea as I used to think, as I'm always reading now about the very high Omega 6 levels in nuts.

Oh, and read this: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/healthy-oils/
    Last edited by PrairieProf; 05-25-2010 at 02:13 PM.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Try walnut oil or toasted sesame oil.

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    Olive oil is usually the oil people go to as part of their salad dressing. Although pricey, play around with various nut oils, such as macadamia, hazelnut and walnut. All those oils are pretty bad for cooking and best used cold as a flavor agent. That said, those oils will be good assuming you like nuts.

What you could also do is play around with different brands of olive oil and countries of origin. The tastes really do depend on the climate and the type of olive that was used to make it.

If you really want to go for an alternative, be creative and conjure a coconut milk based dressing. For starters, it already has the color to look like ranch dressing!
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

alexa85 is offline Senior Member
    do you add balsamic vinegar with it also? i don't think i could eat olive oil by itself on my salads. i tend to use more balsamic than olive oil.
    i will maintain the truth
    i knew naturally as a child
    i won't forfeit my creativity
    to a world that's all laid out for me
    i'll look at everything around me
    and i will vow to bear in mind
    that all of this was just someone's idea
    it could just as well be mine - ani difranco

canadianwoman is offline Senior Member
    I use a very very ripe avocado and mix that into my salad. No oil needed. EVOO makes me grimace too when it is in a salad. Try 'light' olive oil. It has no taste.

Gator is offline Senior Member
    Maybe you would like second press of Spanish oils. Me, I can drink olive oil from anywhere. I second walnut oil and sesame oil. I gave up sunflower oil and canola oil---just my taste. Coconut oil is also good. I like cold pressed, unrefined, organic.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Walnut oil all the way. I hate olive oil in salads. Blech. Bitter and gross and heavy and weird and... not for my salads! lol

Pantera is offline Senior Member
    + 1 on balsamic
    Other option: warm some coconut oil and use it instead of olive oil.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast