Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feels like I'm starving! (obviously not though) page

NewbiePrimal is offline Junior Member

Wink Feels like I'm starving! (obviously not though)

Shop Now
    I'm someone who is a HEAVY carb user usually. At least one meal of day will have some sort of wheat/bread/starch . I mention this because I don't know if it's withdrawals of some sort. That's one way I've always felt full. (For example not eating toast for breaking leaves me hungry or not having rice or a potato for supper does the same.) I'm trying to ease into this in some sense. I've eliminated rice, wheat, corn, soy, potatoes (other than sweet) and dairy (except for butter). I'm not overly active as I have a job as a secretary and besides walking around the block, there is not much more than I do... My point in explaining that part is, I am always so hungry since I've started this a week ago. I've been drinking about a gallon of water a day and I'm STILL hungry. I'm trying not to over do it, but it is hard. I notice if I eat a sweet potato with my meat or veggies I can go a normal length of time with out getting hungry. Should I keep eating the sweet potatoes? Or is it more likely some wheat addiction that is taking awhile to go away?

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Try upping protein a bit. Protein is the most satiating of the macronutrients, so increasing your intake should reduce hunger pangs a bit. Also, to answer your question about sweet potatoes, if they help you stay full then eat them. Don't over think things.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

little vase is offline Senior Member
    I know the feeling. I was a starch fiend as well, and when I first went primal I just ate. A ton. I ate so much food. It was proteins and veggies and fruits and fats. I found that fats and proteins filled me up the most and gave me the best feeling of satiety. I don't think I ever stopped eating for the first month. After that I was totally over starch, and so I cut way back on the fat, didn't need it anymore to feel full.

Thanks Jake, so it would be okay to eat one sweet potato a day ? Or... even two? I'm happy to meet someone who understands little vase I keep eating and eating on this.. but I was hoping it would get to a point that I wouldn't be as hungry. It's good to know it went away in your case! Hoping !

oh btw, I wanted to add, I have been upping protein so my plate is probably 70% protein

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbiePrimal View Post
    Thanks Jake, so it would be okay to eat one sweet potato a day ? Or... even two?
    Sure. Just be aware of your overall caloric intake (which depends on your goal). If you feel best having sweet potatoes everyday, there's no problem with it. Do what best helps you to adhere to the diet.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Thanks, that makes me feel better. Somewhere or another I've read different pages condemning potatoes. I'm not counting my calories yet (as I am ravenous) I thought I might give it another week or two and then start skimming down what I'm eating. I guess I'm allowing a grace period since I'm new to the lack of these things.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbiePrimal View Post
    oh btw, I wanted to add, I have been upping protein so my plate is probably 70% protein
    More fat. Fat is very satiating. You dont say exactly how much you're eating, so its hard to say if the hunger is simply due to not enough food.

I'd cut back on the water too. Don't drink water to fill yourself up and stave off hunger. Eat real food until you're full.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

I'm eating a fair amount. For example, today breakfast was some porkshoulder, broccoli and carrots. Snack/Lunch was several celery sticks with generous amounts of almond butter, supper was pork shoulder(gave myself a large amount) sweet potatoe, and carrots. I've been eating about like that, but for the most part have been gorging on meat. (I will put half a plate of meat down) Ironically, before this diet I would eat smaller pieces of meat and larger amounts of veggies/other carbs.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    If you tolerate white potatoes, they are very nutritious and promote satiety IMO. Salt + butter on a boiled potato is divine! And filling.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast