Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: is there something wrong with eating almost only fruit? page 2

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Thrive Market
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    Fruit is very good for you, in moderation. Some types can be very high in fructose with limited fiber, although others are less so. The bottom line, or the biggest adjustment you will likely have to make with any primal eating plan, is to become a fat burner rather than a sugar burner. This will adjust your appetite as well.

We are wired to love fruit, but depending on your goals it can be detrimental past a certain point.
    If we're wired to love fruit, why would we want to run primarily on fat? We're born fat burners, we burn it (and glucose) all the time! What's ideal about burning fat first all of the time?
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F.Fellini View Post
    No need to swing from one extreme to the other. The glaring problem with a fruit-only diet is the serious lack of protein and important nutrients from meat/eggs/dairy/fish/shellfish. Huge amounts of fruit is fine, but make sure you are eating enough animal products, too. If you eat adequate protein and occasional organ meats/eggs/shellfish/gelatin, filling out the rest of your diet with fruit is fine.
    Exactly this.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F.Fellini View Post
    The glaring problem with a fruit-only diet is the serious lack of protein and important nutrients from meat/eggs/dairy/fish/shellfish. Huge amounts of fruit is fine, but make sure you are eating enough animal products, too. If you eat adequate protein and occasional organ meats/eggs/shellfish/gelatin, filling out the rest of your diet with fruit is fine.
    Totally agree.

I think you could do a lot worse than eating a mostly fruit-based diet. Fruit is delicious and so satiating. In terms of a real food it's amazing, and for weight loss you can't beat it. Supplement it with protein in the form of eggs, dairy, meat, fish, organs and you're laughing. Taking a few sachets of gelatine daily helps a lot too.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    I actually think a big fruit binge isn't that bad for us. Look at our closest genetic neighbours they swing around eating fruit all day.

I would like to offer up a challenge to you...

See if you can go 2 whole days without eating any fruit, or any carbs for that matter (just eat veggies, protein and fat).

If you succeed, go to town on the fruit for the rest of the week as your metabolism is fairly healthy (you can metabolise both fat and sugar). While ever you can pass this challenge once a month, eating big amounts of fruit is all good.

On the other hand. If you really struggle to get through 2 days of no carbs (fruit). Your metabolism is under functioning and relying on fruit as a crutch. If this is the case you might have to slowly train your fat/protein burning abilities. A good way to do this would be doing some IF and some no carb meals randomly during the week.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Add at least 100g beef or calf liver once a week, and fatty fish 2 to 3x week. Add some high quality dark chocolate, and a few potatoes to go with the liver and / or fish. A diet of only or mostly fruits is really not optimal to my mind.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I eat very similary now, though I add egg whites and eggs, fish, nuts. Basically, fruit and vegetables with a bit of simple protein. It;s summer, and I like my fruit. Make sure you eat bananas or tubers, so you don't miss starches. I dunno, after trying for having the most pluses, now I just want to eat what makes me happy.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    OP sounds like you are eating fine. You don't need mass protein daily that is silly. If you are eating chicken, etc here and there you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    Fruit is very good for you, in moderation. Some types can be very high in fructose with limited fiber, although others are less so. The bottom line, or the biggest adjustment you will likely have to make with any primal eating plan, is to become a fat burner rather than a sugar burner. This will adjust your appetite as well.

We are wired to love fruit, but depending on your goals it can be detrimental past a certain point.
    The idea of being a fat burner or sugar burner cracks me up. Why can't you be both? How do you think people on a low fat diet loose weight? Lots of sugars but they are still burning fat. Burning fat can still occur if you are eating sugar. To me, this is just gimmicky nonsense to sell someone into a specific, limited ideology.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Thankfully, you can answer this question yourself by putting your food into a food calculator. You will be shocked and dismayed at the malnutrition you are currently imposing on yourself.
    What is missing other than B12?
    Last edited by statikcat; 07-05-2013 at 09:55 AM.

s0meguy is offline Junior Member
    I used to eat a LOT of fruit. Talking 20 pieces a day. And I didn't eat much else except meat every few days or so. I was fine, but I was on what I now recognize as a constant sugar craving from the sugar from the fruit and I was so accustomed to it that I confused it with my actual need for food.

But yeah I was fine, I think I was getting all my nutrition requirements satisfied. I think that the nutritional requirements from the American government are completely bogus and made up by the corporations that pay the politicians. So don't listen to people saying you should adhere to those requirements. Do what makes you feel good, is what I think is a much better way to go.
    Last edited by s0meguy; 07-05-2013 at 10:29 AM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Totally agree.

I think you could do a lot worse than eating a mostly fruit-based diet. Fruit is delicious and so satiating. In terms of a real food it's amazing, and for weight loss you can't beat it. Supplement it with protein in the form of eggs, dairy, meat, fish, organs and you're laughing. Taking a few sachets of gelatine daily helps a lot too.
    Calories still count. A few years back I read about a guy who went on a "free fruit" diet for 6 months, living in Southern California and eating only fruit he picked out of people's yards. Not only did he not lose weight, but he lost muscle mass. So he gained fat.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I find it funny that while some of you eschew fruit, there are primal folks who put gobs of butter and coconut oil in their coffee, and probably consume an absurd amount of fat in the 70% and up range. Where's the nutrition in fat? Talk about ass backwards. Unless you're controlling a serious illness with ketosis, I don't believe fat is the best fuel for everyone.

Fruit is just begging to be eaten. It's fantastic, quick fuel chock full of vitamins. But I would also add in some eggs, meat, fish, liver and maybe some gelatine for good measure. Tubers and whatever veggies you tolerate too.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast