Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High fructose intake has been linked to high cholesterol page

Salixisme is offline Member

High fructose intake has been linked to high cholesterol

Primal Fuel
    There is an interesting piece of research that is being published in the Journal of Nutrition on 1st Aug.

The study links very high fructose intake with high cholesterol levels

Fructose, high cholesterol linked in new study | Health, Medical, and Science Updates

Abstract

Fructose is widely used as a sweetener in the production of many foods, yet the relation between fructose intake and cholesterol remains uncertain. In this study, we performed a systematic review and meta-analysis of human, controlled, feeding trials involving isocaloric fructose exchange for other carbohydrates to quantify the effects of fructose on serum total cholesterol (TC), LDL cholesterol (LDL-C), and HDL cholesterol (HDL-C) in adult humans. Weighted mean differences were calculated to determine changes from baseline cholesterol concentrations by means of generic, inverse variance, random-effect models. The Heyland Methodological Quality was used to assess the quality of the study. Subgroup analyses and meta-regression were conducted to explore the possible influences of study characteristics. Twenty-four trials (with a total of 474 participants) were included in the meta-analysis. In an overall pooled estimate, it was shown that fructose exerted no effect on HDL-C. Meta-regression analysis indicated that fructose dose was positively correlated with the effect sizes of TC and LDL-C. Subgroup analyses showed that isocaloric fructose exchange for carbohydrates increased TC by 13.0 mg/dL [(95% CI: 4.7, 21.3); P = 0.002] and LDL-C by 11.6 mg/dL [(95% CI: 4.4, 18.9); P = 0.002] at >100 g fructose/d. However, no effect was shown on TC or LDL-C when the fructose intake was ≤100 g/d. In conclusion, it was shown that very high fructose intake (>100 g/d) increases serum LDL-C and TC concentrations. Larger, longer, and higher-quality human, controlled, feeding trials are needed to confirm these results.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Dr. Seuss

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    it was shown that very high fructose intake (>100 g/d) increases serum LDL-C and TC concentrations.
    Wait, are you saying three Mountain Dews per day is too much?! OMG!

Now they should try it with fruit sources instead.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Wait, are you saying three Mountain Dews per day is too much?! OMG!

Now they should try it with fruit sources instead.
    This seems to be the case for most research touting the "dangers" of fructose. Of course excessive amounts of fructose can cause harm. The same could be said for anything. <100g per day of pure fructose is a ridiculous amount that almost no one ever consumes in a single day.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    This seems to be the case for most research touting the "dangers" of fructose. Of course excessive amounts of fructose can cause harm. The same could be said for anything. <100g per day of pure fructose is a ridiculous amount that almost no one ever consumes in a single day.
    High fructose corn syrup contains therefore from 50% to 80% fructose. A 20oz Mountain Dew contains 77g of carbs. Three a day contain 77g x 3 = 231g of sugar, which can range from 115.5 to 184.8g of pure fructose. I'm trying to figure out how that's not unhealthy, since it is hardly unknown for people who like it to drink three 20oz bottles of Mountain Dew in a day.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I used to drink 2 liters of soda almost every day. Either a generic orange flavor or Mountain Dew. I know for sure that was above and beyond any safe threshold for fructose consumption.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Mmmm code red.

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I used to drink 2 liters of soda almost every day. Either a generic orange flavor or Mountain Dew. I know for sure that was above and beyond any safe threshold for fructose consumption.
    3 liter a day? Whoa!
    Few but ripe.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    High fructose corn syrup contains therefore from 50% to 80% fructose. A 20oz Mountain Dew contains 77g of carbs. Three a day contain 77g x 3 = 231g of sugar, which can range from 115.5 to 184.8g of pure fructose. I'm trying to figure out how that's not unhealthy, since it is hardly unknown for people who like it to drink three 20oz bottles of Mountain Dew in a day.
    You've done it again Katherine. I have no idea what you're talking about, and I never said anything about there's anything healthy about drinking three 20oz bottles of Mountain Dew per day. You should really start reading people's posts instead of making strawman arguments and putting words in people's mouths.

The studies that most people cite claiming that fructose (even high fructose corn syrup) are stupid and sensationalist. That is my point. Everyone knows that guzzling soda like it's water is not healthy. There's nothing ground-breaking or exciting about this. How people conclude that fructose is poison just because some studies administer the consumption of abnormal amounts of pure fructose is beyond my comprehension.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    Actually... eKatherine was pointing out that it is a very normal amount of consumption for "soda drinkers".

There is really nothing at all abnormal about a soda drinker having 3 20oz sodas a day, which was the number she tallied up.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Actually... eKatherine was pointing out that it is a very normal amount of consumption for "soda drinkers".

There is really nothing at all abnormal about a soda drinker having 3 20oz sodas a day, which was the number she tallied up.
    You're right. What I meant to say was that no one is arguing that this amount of fructose (or high fructose corn syrup) consumption is healthy. My point is that all of the studies claiming that fructose is dangerous is having people consume amounts of fructose that we know is unhealthy; it's obvious. So, claiming that fructose is dangerous at excessive amounts is no secret, but what irks me is that people tend to take studies like this and claim that fructose is toxic no matter the dose, which is obviously false.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast