Thread: Low energy levels? page

alurien is offline Junior Member

Low energy levels?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi! New member here.

My husband and I read Primal Blueprint late last year. He started in January and has lost about 40 lbs (still has another 40 to go). I started with him but gave it up for a while due to sleep issues and weaning our toddler. I started up again about 6 weeks ago. I keep reading about people having lots of energy and feeling great but I don't. I'm exhausted all the time. I feel hungry an hour or two after eating. Most of the time, even if I'm hungry I don't feel like eating because nothing sounds/tastes good.

I've lost maybe one pound over the course of 6 weeks. I don't need to lose weight so much- I'm 5'2", 116 lbs, but I'd like to fit into my clothes again. I don't have the energy to do much exercise right now other than the 15 mins of yoga once or twice a day.

Could anyone provide a bit of input? Here's are samples of what I've been eating:

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/Public...Month=3&Day=26

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/Public...&Month=4&Day=8

I'm noticing that I don't have a taste for meat at all. I get about 6.5-7 hrs of sleep per night. Daily activities include normal housework, weeding the garden (1 hr a day), playing with the kids, sewing for my costume business. We might take a family walk for a mile or so in the evenings once a week. Not super active, but I still feel like I don't have enough time to do everything I need to do.

Sorry this is so long but I'm desperate for suggestions. I'm tired of feeling tired. Thank you!
    Last edited by alurien; 05-25-2010 at 12:23 PM. Reason: fixed the links

Mike Alzen is offline Senior Member
    It looks to me like you need to eat more fat, and increase calories in general. You are roughly the same size as my wife, and she is around 1600 calories/day I believe.

I know you're not trying to lose weight, but I would recommend lowering your carb intake to get insulin levels in line so your body can access energy from fat more easily.

Lower carbs, increase fat, increase calories.

Mike Alzen is offline Senior Member
    I looked at it again, and the fruit specifically looks high to me. I'm certainly not an expert, but in my experience with people starting to eat primal/paleo, you have to be very intentional with cutting fruit in the beginning. The tendancy is to appease carb addictions with fruit because it's technically allowed and "healthy". Unfortunately if you do this, you will continue to feel unsatisfied with your regular meals as you will always have that lingering craving for carbs.

If you're up for it, cut carbs drastically and eliminate fruit for a week, and see how you feel after that. Replace those calories with fat, and increase calories overall if you are able to do so without force feeding yourself. After the first couple of days you should start noticing your cravings for carby foods diminishing significantly.

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    alurien, you are almost the same height and weight as me. From my own experience, I found that the hardest thing to get my head around was eating more fat and less fruit, although I have read the book and supporting journal articles, the CW info is hard to ignore. I found that I started feeling much more energetic by having a breakfast of 2 eggs fried in butter with a sliced tomato, no fruit, no dairy; and trying to use more coconut oil in cooking and sprinkling bacon in here and there. A serving of fruit for me is now 1/4 of an apple or 2-3 strawberries, not a whole piece of fruit, and I've completely cut out bananas.

I've also found that exercising in the morning before breakfast has made me more energetic and I'm working on strength training with dumbbells and bodyweight exercises.

Good luck.

AutumnP is offline Senior Member
    I echo the above comments on fruit. It's sneaky, seductive stuff!

alurien is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the feedback. So try for no fruit and under 50 carbs a day? I'll give it a try.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Good luck! Be sure to let us know how it goes.