Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Wrapper! page

naiadknight is online now Senior Member

Primal Wrapper!

Shop Now
    I know that you could just eat a Philly Cheesesteak without the bun, but that seems to take away some of it for me, turns it into something closer to fajitas. Same goes for lettuce and cabbage. So I did some thinking and came up with an egg wrapper.

Whip 3 eggs until fluffyish (don't both separating them, just beat the living tar outta them.) Heat cast iron skillet (or your favorite omelet pan) until hot enough for an omelet. Add 2-3 tbsp your preferred fat. Whip your eggs a bit more until the fat is hot. Pour in your eggs and cover the entire pan with them (still very akin to an omelet.) Let it cook on medium until the top is mostly set. Using the biggest spatula that the pan can handle, flip the whole mess over. Cook another 30s, remove, and use as Philly wrapper. Gives the bite of a hoagie without any of the nasty side effects. I use this whenever I need bread for a sandwich or a burrito. This probably has an actual culinary name that I can't remember, but it's not a fritata and it's not an omelet or a crepe, so I'm just calling it an egg wrapper. I've added the spices to make it blend more; expect a thinner, less fluffy version if you use meat juices to season it.

kmacphee is offline Senior Member
    This may solve my quest for a delicious philly cheese steak! Speaking of Philly Cheese Steak, I have never cooked that before, how about some favorite recipes of your best Primal Philly Cheesesteak. Not trying to threadjack, but since it is on topic, thought they would go great together.

1 lb skirt steak, cut into stir fry chunks (no larger than 1/4 in thick x 3" x 1/2")
    2 bell pepper, sliced
    1 yellow onion, sliced
    1 jalapeno, finely sliced
    5 grinds black pepper
    1 small pinch salt
    2 dashes cayenne pepper
    1 dash basil
    1/4 head garlic
    2-4 tbsp lard
    1/4 c wine
    primal wrappers

Mince garlic. Get skillet nice and roasty toasty, melt lard and get the lard hot. Sautee garlic and spices until fragrant. Throw in meat and brown. Add wine and cook until meat is done enough for your tastes. Remove and reserve all but 2-3 tbsp of juices. Remove meat, add more lard. Add in all your vegetation, cook until al dente; not crunchy, not mushy. Place enough meat and veggies in wrapper to properly stuff it to the gills. Layer on 2-3 layers of pepperjack, provolone, and swiss. Nuke just long enough to really melt cheese. Devour. Makes at least 4 sandwiches, probably closer to 6.
    ETA: The reserved juices are for an au jus style sauce. Cook it down until it coats the back of a spoon. Voila! Au Jus Philly!
    Last edited by naiadknight; 05-25-2010 at 03:21 PM. Reason: forgot about te sauce

kmacphee is offline Senior Member
    Wonderful, I will look at doing this soon...I have been craving a good cheese steak lately! Thank you.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    *drool* This would be SO yummy on top of a grilled portobello mushroom me thinks!

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    I just made fajitas and used this recipe for the wraps Worked awesome and was a hit with the family.
    Calm the f**k down.

Gator is offline Senior Member
    A real Philly Cheese steak is not made with chunky meat. Freeze the meat and when almost thawed, slice in less than paper thin slices. Jumble them up in the oil. Have onions on the side--either raw or also fried. The cheese in a Philly Cheese steak is not primal. It is CheezeWhiz. A bit of melted mild cheddar might suffice.

By the way, CheezeWhiz isn't all that bad. Philadelphia is surrounded by chemical and paint plants. Also distilleries and breweries. The CDC expected Philadelphians to have the worst liver cancer statistics of any other site in the US. They have the best or close to it. Almost no liver cancer. Years of investigation led to the result---Philadelphians consume more CheezeWhiz than anyone else and whatever is in that glop fights the chemical abuse of the liver.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Gator: You forgot that it should almost swim in cayenne pepper sauce and have a few cherry peppers on the side. Also, forgive me, but it is Cheez Whiz. Horrible stuff but so, so good.

It's been years since I had a real cheese steak. Almost ate more of Pat's cheese steaks than I drank water or breathed air when I was a kid.

I'm aware of what the true Philly is, however, I don't have the mechanism to really get it fine enough (my pan isn't large enough to be able to slice it with spatula and knife and I don't have steady enough hands). I've always been able to taste the chemicals in Cheez Wiz and Tabasco sauce is just spicy vinegar to me. I realize this is sacrilege, and that thing I create has no real right be named a Philly, but it's the closest I can get without overcooking the meat and with me still being able to eat it. I guess mine's a Texas version. Does that make it a Texi? or a Teja? maybe a Texaphillie?

fxdwgmikeb is offline Senior Member
    It makes it way better and tastier than a philly fakecheese steak, which is pretty gross, compared to chunky cheese steak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast