Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In What Mode Do You Think? page

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member

In What Mode Do You Think?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Mark's blog yesterday reminded me of a book I read years ago entitled something like The 7 Modes of Thinking. I probably don't remember them all but I recognized mine immediately. I think geometrically; I see shapes in my mind floating around, usually 3D but sometimes (when I was younger) up to 7D. They float around and come together like puzzle pieces. When they all fit together I know the answer or I understand. They don't always.

Some people think in motion, particularly the motion of their body, and from that expand that centered view of motion to the world. Athletes and dancers do this. I once had a friend who was a dancer. She talked in motions of her body. One day she was happy to see me and her whole body wiggled like a puppy wagging it's tail from head to toe. Her meaning was so obvious. But I can't imagine what it would be like to think of the world from the point of view of motion.

Some people think legally, from rules. They have a basic set of rules in their minds from which they view the world and extrapolate meaning. I've know many people of this type.

What other modes were there? Through the sense of touch like sculptors or a group of friends I had who worked at tables with huge magnifying glasses on stands and moved incredibly small hardware electrical components on boards. They touched them and could see them better that way. I can imagine understanding the world though touch.
    They were very talented and highly paid.

Algebraically, thinking by means of color, and there's one more I've forgotten.

So, how do you think. (I sure hope this is of interest to someone.)
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 07-04-2013 at 02:28 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Well, I know I learn best by doing and I know that I navigate not by imagining the world from a birds-eye view like a map but imagining the approach and passage of landmarks. I guess this comes from living in a city whose streets are not numbered and not laid out NS/EW but diagonally and where "north" is actually west and "south" is actually east and where south is where we think west should be. Basically, my mind is somewhat procedural and experience-oriented which I suppose comes closest to touch.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Well, I know I learn best by doing and I know that I navigate not by imagining the world from a birds-eye view like a map but imagining the approach and passage of landmarks. I guess this comes from living in a city whose streets are not numbered and not laid out NS/EW but diagonally and where "north" is actually west and "south" is actually east and where south is where we think west should be. Basically, my mind is somewhat procedural and experience-oriented which I suppose comes closest to touch.
    I don't know, you'd have to think about it. LOL Maybe in colors, pictures. Or algebraically, where each term is a point. Add terms and the points make lines. Many lines, intersecting or running parallel, weaving patterns. But to learn by doing is touch. Maybe touch makes pictures (or something else) in your mind. But is it the touch or the physical movement that has meaning for you?

Conscious thought is always left-brain and thus always serial, though not necessarily procedural, that is 'thinking about the procedure'.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 07-04-2013 at 02:30 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Ah I remember the last one. Sound. "And God spoke the word, and the word was God." (or something like that.) Singing me softly with his voice, telling my whole life with his song. Mozart. The world as vibrations.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I've never read that book, but when I study I learn best by reading/writing. Lectures and pictures never really left a mark. So I need to be involved or active in the process. I think that parts fairly common. Hmm.... what else. I do think in 3D very frequently and did very well in classes like trig and geometry. I'm into biomechanics as a matter of profession (chiropractic) so I don't know if thinking has been a learned thing (since it was the specialty I chose) or if I was predisposed in somep manner to such thinking. I also had 16 years of wrestling under my belt which really predisposes me to analyse things as motion and progression or cause and effect if you like.

Interesting "modes". I think like so many theories that attempt to quantify and categorize our experience many people are going to utilize more than one and be blends of them. Perhaps one will be dominate too. Dunno.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Just thought of this book set I bought back in the late 80's early 90's called "memory power" or something. The idea was to picture absurd or exaggerated events utilizing the key words of the rather abstract message or numbers that you were attempting to learn. Worked very well for me. I always could visualize the events in 3D and motion. Perhaps it would not work so well with people who don't learn as well in those modes? Or perhaps using these methods as a young teen predisposed me to thinking this way in the future..... Hmmm.... The plot thickens.

Most people use several different modes, yes, the book said. People with gifted talent in a given area typically have one mode that predominates over all others. They do use other modes, but not so often.

For myself, I speculate that the mode in which I naturally think had bearing on the studies and profession I chose. It seemed most natural and easiest to me. I also store memories best by writing copious notes. But creating or storing memory is not the same as thinking which usually involves at least some memory recall. You collect the information in your mind, by one means or another, and then - - think, in what mode?

Anyway, ever since I read that I've wondered how others thought; tried to imagine it.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 07-04-2013 at 08:40 PM.

wiltondeportes Guest
    I haven't read the blog post, but judging by the OP, I don't agree with it.

People think in roughly 5 ways:
    1. Faith
    2. Authority
    3. Intuition
    4. Rational/Logical
    5. Empirical

More can be added at the top of the list that are near synonyms with "faith" and "authority".

MudLily is offline Senior Member
    I don't know about the modes in that book, but I am an intuitive thinker and a visual-spatial learner. My brain does a lot of background processing instead of deliberate conscious linear reasoning.

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Yeah people think in different ways. I'm left handed and think in bizarre leaps often using synthesis and intuition, and arrive at the answer without showing my work. Math teachers disliked me.

Rigid science and dry logic bores me to pieces!!! Like CICO.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast