Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: In What Mode Do You Think? page 4

wiltondeportes Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Actually its all "garbage" including your "big five". We are not talking about systems that can be measured and quantified empirically here. At best we are discussing hypothesis of how we can compartmentalize OTHER peoples perceptions and interactions with reality. Its all quite absurd if you really think about it. I like hearing other peoples hypothesis though. Its just that for you to be a proponent of one hypothesis to such a degree as to call another "garbage" in regards to this subject is really funny to me.
    An attempt to generalize a complex system is acceptable if one sees it as a generalization. So which generalization is better, MBTI or FFM?

The Myers-Briggs is all about one singular mode of one's personality. For instance, you could be an executive or boss type under the MBTI name of ENTJ. Unfortunately, that's all you learn about them. The ideas behind the MBTI were hypothesized by Carl Jung in 1921 via a combination of intuition and logic. The personality types have not changed since then.

Under the Five Factor Model, you have fluid variables that you can fine tune to get a more specific understanding of a person. The Five Factor Model was originally compiled from a "lexical hypothesis" which says that if a personality trait is important, it will find its way into the language. They first researched this in 1936 by compiling thousands of words and then sorting them by synonyms (or close to synonym). Then, they went through tons and tons of personality test data, and they looked for which factors had the greatest predictability for the rest of the personality. In the 1940's, Raymond Cattell came up with 35 clusters and then 16 factors. In the 1960's, two Air Force researchers narrowed it to 5. From just 5, research shows the rest of the personality is fairly predictable. Cattrell disagreed with this due to its oversimplicity. In 1980, a peer review with 4 prominent researchers on the subject decided the FFM was the best personality test available. Nowadays, research shows that dumber people require less factors (such as maybe 4 or 5), while more intelligent people require maybe 7 or more variables to accurately predict their personality.

The bottomline is that this fluid approach by variables, which is backed up by tons and tons of research, is far superior to something a knucklehead came up with almost 100 years ago that no one has attempted to change.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I was trained to administer Myers-Briggs. It's a great test. The therapist can use it to add a couple of hours of time @$150/hour before even starting to look into the problem.
    LOL! Now I know what it's good for.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    I can't even think of more than 4 thoughts at the same time
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I am a visual thinker. I "see" a constant movie in my mind. If I need to plan out what I am going to do, my mind plays a movie of it for me. I actually had no idea that all people didn't experience this until a few years ago.

On the other hand, I am extremely deficient in spatial thinking and functioning. I absolutely cannot translate something from 2D on paper into 3D in my mind. I have been working at it a lot, and have made a tiny bit of progress in areas related to my job, but not generally. I also have a very hard time judging distances and estimating if something is too big or too small for a space.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234