Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In What Mode Do You Think? page 3

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I come out the same every time I take the Myers-Briggs. The last one in my score is "P". From what I understand, "P"s are not that logical, kind of flighty, disorganized. That describes my mode of thought and being in the world better than anything else. Experience over rational planning.

Anyway, with your modes of thinking, touch is definitely more likely for me. I can't stand to have people explain things to me. Just show me how to do it and before you are done, let me be doing it. I'll figure out the rest once I get started or figure out my own way to do it after I try your silly way.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    We are all so different in his aspect. When my mom tells me about something, lets say, the new dress she has seen in a shop and wants to get, then she starts with a very detailed description of the material, like if its silky, how thick it is, if it has some other material present, like mohair insert, etc, etc, I can't even describe how detailed it is, its not my way of seeing things. Then she goes on to describe the fashion - collar, sleeves, belt, whatever. I can't imagine any of these and wait when she will finally start telling something important - THE COLOUR! If I don't know what colour it is, nothing else can be fitted in the picture. Now I know that she will never get to that important part on her own and ask immediately. After I know the colour, the rest is easy, then material, fashion, everything makes sense. The same goes about any other description - like I cant imagine the model of a car if I don't know the colour. If I have to learn something, I have to read it (or write, doesn't really matter as long as I can see it). If I only hear it, I forget it as soon as the sound ceases. On the contrary my daughter will remember whatever was said, at school she doesn't really make notes, just a few words to show she attended the class, but she will repeat word by word everything the teacher said. To improve her results we got her a kind of dictophone and she can record the lesson instead of writing down and she only listens to it once more at home. If I had to use a dicophone, it would be only to write everything later.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Great examples. The societal practices much have some influence on this, some but not major. I notice the youngest generation seems particularly oriented to sound. From my generation we're more often visual, but we use different sense organs to input that information to the visual mind. Some people just aren't visual, though.

My daughter-in-law uses a GPS to tell her vocally how to get somewhere. She rather sneers at maps. We may be the last generation that can read a map.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Fair enough, but we're talking about different things here, not Modes of active, conscious thought. For example, Faith and Authority use the Legalistic mode of thought, in which the basic rules would come from religion or the specific authority selected.
    Yes, Faith and Authority do fall under Legalistic. Good addition to my thought.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    Yes, Faith and Authority do fall under Legalistic. Good addition to my thought.
    Thank you Wilondeportes, I don't know about intuition though. Not a clue. I guess it's not a mode of thinking. It just happens.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Thank you Wilondeportes, I don't know about intuition though. Not a clue. I guess it's not a mode of thinking. It just happens.
    They are all forms of reason. Legastic and Intuition have a more emotional basis, which is what most people depend on. Rational logic and empiricism are both more dependent upon rationality, which is a higher level in my opinion.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 07-06-2013 at 09:55 PM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I think globally. I learn in pieces that fit together like a puzzle. Only after the puzzle is complete do I act on what I now know. The modes of thinking as given don't fit into my schema.

diene is offline Senior Member
    I'm incredibly boring. I think in terms of words. I basically have a running dialogue in my head with myself. Even when I'm trying to understand mathematical concepts I translate it into words and try to understand it that way (very difficult, hence not good at math). When I used to write code, I was able to think in terms of logical layers instead of words, which was cool. I've noticed that in certain areas (physics, mostly), every time I make a breakthrough (i.e., finally grasp something I had been struggling with), it's because I had managed to think in a different way, without using words. I wish I was more of a visual or conceptual thinker, rather than being so heavily verbal.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    Myers-Briggs is absolute garbage. It was created during WWII so that more people would get jobs.

Check out the Big Five personality traits.
    Actually its all "garbage" including your "big five". We are not talking about systems that can be measured and quantified empirically here. At best we are discussing hypothesis of how we can compartmentalize OTHER peoples perceptions and interactions with reality. Its all quite absurd if you really think about it. I like hearing other peoples hypothesis though. Its just that for you to be a proponent of one hypothesis to such a degree as to call another "garbage" in regards to this subject is really funny to me.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-08-2013 at 03:50 PM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I was trained to administer Myers-Briggs. It's a great test. The therapist can use it to add a couple of hours of time @$150/hour before even starting to look into the problem.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast