Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protein Intake and Injury Recovery? page

Britt is offline Senior Member

Protein Intake and Injury Recovery?

A bit of a ramble here...

I've been reading Primal Body, Primal Mind. I know some folks have their criticisms of the book (writing style, lack of in-text citations, somewhat alarmist at times), but after upping my carbohydrate intake weeks ago and not doing so well with it, I kind of took to Nora's thoughts on more strict carbohydrate restriction and protein as well. I feel much better, restarted my weight loss, and feel more mentally sharp. Not necessarily sustained ketosis, but I rarely exceed 75g/day (in line with PB).

That being said, I am still recovering from a shoulder injury since last October and am on level 1 of all the PBF movements (no pull ups, though; I do free-weight rows with 8lb weights).

A lot of my pain seems to be in the scapular area (some in the actual joint), which is probably a posture thing (working on it constantly) and exercise does seem to help reduce the pain (wall pushups, lateral pull-downs with thera-bands, etc). I exercise two to three times a week, doing my PT with thera-bands and PBF essential movements. Plenty of walking and standing most days.

I'm really just wondering about protein intake and injury recovery. I've been hovering around 40g to 80g of protein a day for the last couple weeks and feel satiated, but I think about things like muscle repair post-workout and just general recovery regarding the injury.

I don't want to overload on protein just because I can and my body seems OK with the amount I do eat, but would increasing it a little (80 to 100g a day) be beneficial to repairing any residual damage/microtears? Or should I consider drinking/cooking with more bone broth for the collagen/gelatin?

It seems like an obvious question, but if anyone has been through a similar injury and has a recovery anecdote, I'd like to hear it. I've browsed the forums plenty for similar threads, as well. I just want to be in tip-top shape by next spring as I prepare for nursing school (shoulders are important ). Appreciate it!
    Last edited by Britt; 07-04-2013 at 01:57 PM.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love and something to hope for." - Allan K. Chalmers (1759-1834)

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    40g is quite low even for a small, sedentary woman. I think you should set a target of 80g on the average per day if you are active, which you say you are.

Yeah, looking at some of my tracking it seems I really do hit the low end of my 40 to 80g estimate. Consistently between 40g to 60g, really. Yikes.

I can't really find it hard to complain about eating more meat, though.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love and something to hope for." - Allan K. Chalmers (1759-1834)

Quote Originally Posted by Britt View Post
    Yeah, looking at some of my tracking it seems I really do hit the low end of my 40 to 80g estimate. Consistently between 40g to 60g, really. Yikes.

I can't really find it hard to complain about eating more meat, though.
    Seriously. I am in a hotel suite with a kitchenette. The refrigerator has malfunctioned and I was forced to eat all the bacon this morning. I had no choice.

Good God, you poor thing. How do you go on?

Good God, you poor thing. How do you go on?
    I was the only one here. Its a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Weight loss and recovery from injury is a bad idea...

F.Fellini is offline Member
    I would absolutely incorporate more protein---and make sure it's quality protein like from red meat, eggs, dairy (if you do dairy), shellfish, other quality meat/fish, etc. Potatoes also have high quality protein and can be a good option for fulfilling carbohydrate requirements.

I would also certainly incorporate gelatin---as much as you like/can afford. I did not realize how necessary high protein intake and gelatin intake were to my health until I finally started incorporating them. I can get by on little protein, but I feel way better when it's higher.

EDIT: You probably know this already, but it's worth noting that if you are aiming for ketosis at certain points, you're going to need to control protein intake. Another thing you could try is upping carbs again but this time upping protein at the same time. Give some different macro layouts a try and do what you feel is working for you.
    Last edited by F.Fellini; 07-04-2013 at 02:28 PM.

Thanks, F. Definitely going to incorporate some gelatin into my diet (it certainly can't hurt). I've been primal for over a year, so I have a good idea of what works for me in terms of macro ratios, but ketosis is more of an accidental thing for me.

I've got great local sources for meats, eggs, and fish so no worries there. Just need to eat more of 'em.

I've also considered protein powder, but I far more prefer whole foods and rarely find myself without time to cook.

Edit: I eat the odd sweet potato, but have found white potatoes aren't my thing. Kind of bland to me after not eating them for awhile, and I'm content avoiding most starch since I feel better without it. But thanks.
    Last edited by Britt; 07-04-2013 at 02:55 PM.

F.Fellini is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've got great local sources for meats, eggs, and fish so no worries there. Just need to eat more of 'em.

I've also considered protein powder, but I far more prefer whole foods and rarely find myself without time to cook.
    Sounds awesome. Yeah I would generally stay away from protein powder, so it's great that you already prefer whole foods. I have been really loving red meat of all kinds, shellfish, and (for some reason) lean turkey lately as protein sources-all with supplemental gelatin. That plus an increase in fruit and a shift to only saturated fats has made me feel much better than when I first started changing my diet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast