Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Protein Intake and Injury Recovery? page 2

Britt is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I've been eating quite a bit of berries from an urban farm down the street. Trying to enjoy things more seasonally. I'm an avid cook, so looking forward to bulking up some of my meals with new/weird protein.

Eating more fish is my priority for now. Thanks for the input!
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love and something to hope for." - Allan K. Chalmers (1759-1834)

Salixisme is offline Member
    Some of your pain might be caused by trigger points in the muscles. A lot of the shoulder trigger points refer pain into the joints.

Have you considered seeing a massage therapist who is qualified in Trigger Point Therapy?

quite often when you injure a muscle it develops trigger points as a result of the inflammation from the original injury. And they can persist for a very long time after the injury has healed.

I have successfully treated huge numbers of people for shoulder pain by treating their triggerpoints....

The fact that you say it is in the scapular area makes me wonder if your Subscapularis is bothered...

Beyond that, if it was a muscular injury, upping your protein intake won't hurt.

But I would try the massage therapy as well.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Dr. Seuss

My osteopath does trigger point therapy (and saved me from having surgery). Sadly I doubt I can get massage therapy covered, because it's been nearly a year so it's mostly healed. Not that I'm opposed, hehe! Thanks.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love and something to hope for." - Allan K. Chalmers (1759-1834)

Salixisme is offline Member
    The other thing that occurred to me is to make sure you are getting enough magnesium in your diet - most of my clients who suffer from chronic pain are magnesium-deficient (most eating the SAD).

This is a long time for you to be still healing (having said that I have no idea what your shoulder injury was)
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Dr. Seuss

I'll check and see about supplementing if need be, thanks.

And I caught a 130 lb patient that was free falling, with my left arm outstretched. The shoulder seemed to take the entirety of the weight. I had to heft her up and into bed in one motion too, which was none too kind to my back (that was already an issue). I was a nursing assistant and it was one hell of an experience overall, albeit a painful one.

At this point it's mostly an issue of strength, since I lost a lot of my muscle tone in my upper back because of inactivity due to pain.

But it's a process and going primal back in 2011 helped when I sustained an upper spinal injury d/t the same type of incident. Barefoot/minimalist shoes were essential to helping my posture at that point.

So from where I was to where I am now...

Success-Graph-Funny.jpg

Overall, much better. I just wanted to make sure I've been doing absolutely anything and everything so I can be strong again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12