Thread: Flourless Coconut Almond "Cake" :) page

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member

Flourless Coconut Almond "Cake" :)

So, my nonPB bf wanted me to bake something sweet to go along with Sunday supper ( I used to bake A LOT).

This "cake" I came up with reminds me a lot of BREAD, so maybe this is a good thing to try out during those times when we need a little break from the egg-meat routine. You can easily forgo the Stevia and it would be just as good.

The cooled the cake cuts easily into bars and it perfect for dipping into coffee or smear it with some cream cheese (uh hello, COFFEE CAKE?)! (remember? remember dipping baked goods into coffee????? I do!) For the record the bf loved it, but said it wasn't all that sweet (go figure). It was plenty sweet to me! (just right, actually...)

Flourless Coconut Almond "Cake"

3/4 cups almond meal
    1-2 tsp Stevia powder
    1 cup desiccated fresh coconut
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon almond essence
    1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
    A few spare almonds to decorate.
    Hand whipped cream, optional

METHOD : I put the coconut and almonds in a food processor all together.

1. Preheat oven to 350. Line loaf pan with baking paper or foil.
    2. In a food processor, combine almonds and coconut, and run on high speed until its a fine meal. It will be slightly oily due to the coconut.
    3. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla extract, stevia and almond essence. Gradually add melted butter, whisking until combined.
    4. Add butter mixture to coconut mixture, stirring until smooth.
    5. Spoon into prepared pan, smoothing the top. Decorate with spare almonds.
    6. Bake for 45-50 minutes. let cool completely, then cut into 1/12th bars. Serve with cream, if desired.

Nutritional info for 1 serving (1/12th of cake) :

Cals 240
    Fat Cals 161
    Protein 4.35g
    Fat 23.8 g
    Fiber 2g
    Carbs 3.6 g
    Sugars 1 g

Egerland is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I made a similar one last night with Splenda and liquid Stevia. To make it more cake-like, I separated 4 eggs and beat the egg whites, then folded them into the batter. Also added aluminum-free baking powder. In addition to the coconut flour, I also used ground hazelnuts. I had to add a lot of 1/2&1/2 to the batter. Frosting was butter, cream, some coconut flakes, and Splenda/Stevia with vanilla. Not bad.