Thread: Want2BeAPinup's Success Story in the Making page

Want2BeAPinup is offline Member

Deleted

Shop Now
    Last edited by Want2BeAPinup; 06-03-2010 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Deleted

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Pinup,

Everything looks good to go

My one piece of advice for you is on the fruit. Some people, myself included, find they do better if they limit their fruit to a serving or so a day (I really don't eat any, but YMMV). You might want to stick to a few berries a day for awhile, until you find out where you are. Dairy often causes problems for some, as well. I tend to WAY overeat when I have cheese around.

But DO load up on the good fats. Butter or Ghee (clarified butter) and Coconut Oil are going to be good friends.

In addition, if budget permits, it might be a good plan to get some fish oil caps for o3, and some vitamin D3. These are a couple of VERY helpful supplements, and I wish I had known about them when I started out.

Again, welcome!!!

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    Here are a few tips.
    Lose the almonds or cut them down to just a few. Nuts are very calorie dense and can work against you.
    You might also want to go very easy on the fruit too, especially the oranges and grapefruit.
    You might also want to add fresh spinach to make salads or the frozen bagged kind just to cook.
    Some kind of fish would be good. Fresh fish is awesome. I also like canned wild caught red salmon. I used to eat it on my BASs before I cut back on the veggies.
    Oh and on the ranch dressing lots of those have HFCS and are made from crappy oils. You might want to make your own dressings. Bacon grease (we love our bacon around here) and apple cider vinegar is one that I like. EVOO and some kind of vinegar also works. You can also make mayo out of bacon grease, egg whites, and fresh lemon juice. There's a recipe for that around here somewhere.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    I would go for heavy cream, or at least half-and-half, and make it a Breve. Milk has a buttload of carbs ;-)

And, I'm not a fish oil scientist....but my understanding is that ideally you want your o3/o6 ratio as close to 1:1 as possible. Since non-grassfed meat has more o6, the reason you would take fish oil is to balance it out. So if you look at your bottle of 3-6-9, and it doesn't have a lot more 3...then you might not be getting the benefit you're expecting. Stabby, where are you?

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Fruits (apart from berries) are high in sugar and low in fiber - a guaranteed insulin-spiking combination.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    I would also recommend not getting to crazy with your exercise routine especially when you're first starting out. Exercise will make you stronger but it's what you eat (or don't eat) that will help you lose the pounds. Oh and for sure order and read the Primal Blueprint if you haven't already. Mark did a great job with it.

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    Hi and welcome and good luck with this new life I started primal a little over a month ago though I went gluten-free/low carb in January. Some things I've learned as I got started - to rid yourself of those ravenous hunger pains, EAT NO CARBS. Really. It works. Cut out the fruit and toast for just a few days so that you can jump-start into ketosis. It's the insulin that causes hunger, and grains and fruit that cause the insulin release. For me, it takes about 48 hours after eating carbs to stop craving more of them.

Once your body is adjusted (you'll know because you'll stop getting physically hungry), you can add in some fruit again, but never eat it by itself - which isn't so bad once you consider the yummmmmm factor of a handful of juicy berries topped with a mheap of with real whipped cream (heavy whipping cream, with a little Splenda or raw cane sugar if you need it) ... or, more realistically, a heap of real whipped cream with a handful of strawberries and blueberries on top

AutumnP is offline Senior Member
    Cutting the fruit does help a LOT. Even if you can cut it down and mix it w/ the whipped cream, then keep gradually decreasing it.

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Just wanted to suggest that you try coconut milk with fruit instead of whipping cream. It's line nirvanna for the tastebuds. Plus, its high in fat and calories and seems to enhance the flavour of the fruit (I had strawberries last night, OMG, best EVER!).

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    You need to find primal food that you like!! I am the same way about feeling restricted - the 'game' is to find food that feels like you are being pampered by eating it! Lucky for me, I love bacon and steak, so I have a hard time feeling deprived while I'm eating a big steak If you really truly dislike meat, this could be a tough plan for you - but I'd suggest making a list of what you DO like and working around that at first, then getting more adventurous as time goes on. for instance, you absolutely CAN have fried chicken - just ditch the flour coating and use good oils. Deviled eggs are totally primal, as is steak with sauteed onions, most anything you can grill (just watch the sauces), etc...

I'm also not a big fan of the flavor of coconut, but you can sneak it in by cooking with the coconut oil. The coconut milk doesn't take coconut-y to me, but I just put it in my coffee. I didn't realize that you can whip it - I'm going to try that!

Some thoughts on your menu -
    why non-fat latte? How much sugar is in it??? Those things can pack a sugar bomb if you aren't careful
    your morning snack is pretty high-carb

it looks like you could be starting your day with an insulin spike, which is going to screw up your whole day. also, check your ranch dressing - the commercial stuff is full of crap. I've started getting the ranch seasoning package and mixing it up myself so I control the kind of fat and eliminate the preservatives. I also make an awesomely good salad dressing by mixing a Good Seasons Italian seasoning pack with olive oil and almond oil --- sooo good and you can pack in a lot of good fats to your salad that way. My new favorite salad is baby spinach, crumbled bacon and feta with the homemade dressing.

One thing I noticed recently myself is that 'artificial flavorings' make me bloat up as badly as gluten does. the other day I had flavored cod-liver oil on an empty stomach and bloated INCHES within 5 minutes - the only thing it could have been was the artifical cherry flavor. So it's possible that you are reacting more to the 'stuff' in the commercial foods than to the fat and meat. As your diet gets cleaner ,you will probably get more sensitive to how bad the artificial crap makes you feel... just a thought

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast