Thread: The long journey into Not Having To Overthink It Anymore.... page

becks83 is offline Member

The long journey into Not Having To Overthink It Anymore....

Primal Fuel
    I'm starting this journal for myself because I want to feel better. A bit of background -

I'm 30, female, with recurring digestive issues. This I guess is leaky gut syndrome - and going primal around 18 months ago has made things so much better already, in terms of losing the daily stomach aches and constant tiredness I had before. Now the issue is sticking with it in the real world when the 'novelty' of something new has worn off. I had the 80/20 rule, then it became 70/30, 60/40.......
    Avoiding bread/pasta/rice etc has never been an issue for me. Sugar is my main issue. Wheat sneaks in usually via cookies/cakes and plain old sugar has a severe hold on me.

My social circle also revolves a lot around going out drinking. I have cut down a lot but I miss it if I don't go at all and I find house parties and nights out impossible without a few drinks. I just can't resist having a few drinks, at best - a lot more, at worst.

I know this causes me to feel tired, crave sugar, suffer low mood - which is why I've gone out much less for the last 6 months. But I still cave into sweet things when I feel low or sick, which is almost as bad as drinking for me.

I need to fix my gut. I just don't feel 'right' and I'm fed up of thinking about it, talking about it, making excuses based on how crap I feel that day/week/month.
    The symptoms on a bad week are brain fog, nausea, discomfort, depression, lack of motivation, dizzy spells and lethargy. All linked into my gut. I also have acne which has flared back up now, and does so every time my gut is out of whack.

This all makes me stressed, which worsens the problem!

So I figure I need to be stronger, more positive, and just be a little more strict with myself - starting now. I want to feel 'normal' again so I can do the stuff I love without feeling waylaid by thoughts of what I'm eating, what it's doing and if the world might end if I have a bit of sugar. I figure I'm only obsessing about health because I don't feel my best, or even close.

Will report in with updates...hopefully I can hack what works and what doesn't and get my energy and happiness back!

becks83 is offline Member
    Had a bit of a challenge last night...a pre-arranged all you can eat chinese/indian buffet visit, and I nearly cancelled after 24 hours of stomach twinges. However I went, and didn't eat too much, sticking mainly to protein type bits and avoiding the grains. I had a little ice cream. I was so busy chatting to people, I didn't miss the food, and I actually felt a LOT better after which surprised me. Proof to me that stress plays a major role in how I feel. I turn into a bit of a miserable killjoy when I have stomach issues, but sometimes getting out and having fun is better than any supplement you can pop

Now I have the small issue of the weekend. I really want to get out of the habit of treating weekends like cheating opportunities. I'd go mad if I didn't allow myself a little red wine sometimes or the odd treat, but I want to start treating every day more or less the same - to hopefully get out the mentality that I need to reward myself with food/drink just because it's the weekend!