Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite meditation techniques? page

Knifegill is offline Senior Member

Favorite meditation techniques?

Primal Fuel
    Mine are:
    Breathing in for three heartbeats, out for four, repeat while counting backward from ten, repeat.

Focusing on one object or shape in my mind and denying all other thoughts.

Imagining my mattress is on the sea, waving from foot to head or head to foot (switching gets too distracting and requires mental focus that seems to NOT be relaxing). This one might freak you out at first because it really feels like your body is flapping up and down. Super cool.

Simply noticing my skin as it expands with each heartbeat, on my nose, my feet, everywhere, area by area. Once you learn to feel your heartbeat in your skin, you can do it on the bus, at work, anywhere.

Like the commenter in today's blog post mentioned, imagining cold liquid/mud sliding down my head, from the top of my brain to the bottom. Super effective.

So what are your favorite meditation tricks?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

sauerKraut is offline Member
    I. focusing on the "darkness"
    II. focusing on sounds
    III. focusing on touch / body

Spend a few seconds on each step, and repeat.

PS: This is also a "cure" for insomnia.

PSS: I never do this regularly...meditation is the hardest habit to stick to.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Counting breaths combined with a timer in another room. The timer keeps you from being distracted/wondering how long you've been sitting, and counting breaths keeps you focused on just one thing. It is a hard habit to stick to. Theoretically, if you do it on a regular basis, eventually you'll zone out and just naturally stop counting your breaths.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    I have tried all of the ideas and techniques put forward by just about any kind of meditation guide culture or group, and typically I still end up just masturbating.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I'm boring... Just square breathing. I used to use a candle but haven't in years.

Well, maybe not soooo boring. I have had some amazing experiences meditating. At one point I had a 1,500 OPEC epuzzle I was working on. I would mess with it a little and then meditate. During meditation I would see puzzle pieces falling like rain. After meditation, I would immediately be able to put together several pieces from the puzzle.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Mindfulness meditation stimulated through aniracetam and theanine.

Evidence builds that meditation strengthens the brain

I'm going to implement other techniques soon, once I perfect this. Unfortunately, due to bad anxiety, nootropics are required for now. Hoping mediation will fix that in and of itself.
    nihil

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Right now I just do plain old sitting zazen. Zazen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just sit and stare at that wall..... very boring shit, but I do feel better in a subtle way for the rest of the day when I do it.

BenP is offline Member
    I sit cross legged, eyes closed and focus on breathing and trying to relax any tension (mainly in my head but shoulders etc)

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Mindfulness meditation stimulated through aniracetam and theanine.

Evidence builds that meditation strengthens the brain

I'm going to implement other techniques soon, once I perfect this. Unfortunately, due to bad anxiety, nootropics are required for now. Hoping mediation will fix that in and of itself.
    Wow first I've heard of these nootropics… do they have side effects?

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I do sitting meditation in a straight-back chair, well balanced, maybe like zazen, in a closed room with no sounds. I close my eyes and just breathe naturally and concentrate totally on feeling the temperature difference in my nose of the in-breath (cool) and the out-breath (warm). Any stray thoughts I block. Feeling only, feeling temperature only. And then nothingness. The sense of time is gone. I sit. Then nothing sits.

Before I start I ask my husband to come and touch me in 30 min. if I haven't come out.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 07-04-2013 at 12:18 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast