Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: How bad is wheat, really? page 15

Aislinn is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    I'm not sure if it has been suggested yet, but if you may want to read Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis. See if his arguments change your mind. I'm currently reading that book right now with my husband. It's re-affirmed my decision to stay wheat/gluten-free.

I absolutely ADORE bread too, especially sandwiches so I don't plan to cut out wheat all my life. I plan to indulge on rare occasions. But I definitely do not want to eat wheat/gluten every day. My only outward sign of negativity from eating wheat is acne. That's enough for me to want to stay away from wheat to be honest.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    To be honest (I'm still kind of a newbie, so be easy on me please!), I'm still confused as to why wheat is so vilified for those who aren't gluten-intolerant.
    Perhaps you haven't heard of silent celiac. If you experience no symptoms, you may not be intolerant, or you may even have full-blown celiac but are not experiencing any symptoms at all. Such people are rarely tested or diagnosed (because they're not having symptoms, of course), but will eventually develop the same complications.

Unlike a lot of people, I don't feel any consequences from eating wheat (sometimes I wish I did so I would conditioned to stay away from it!)
    Lots of people who are gluten intolerant or celiac and experience symptoms when they eat gluten have trouble staying away from it. It's like an addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I absolutely love sandwiches and I miss bread more than anything else on the do not eat list.
    I don't miss it, and I was a major gluten fiend. If there was only one food I could go back to consuming, it would be coffee.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    My usual diet is virtually gluten-free. Over the holidays I consumed large quantities of gluten in the form of pasta, home-made bread and cookies/cake. After 4 days of gluten gorging, my joints were aching so badly I was having trouble walking my dog and I was letting farts that mimicked atomic bomb explosions. Only took a few days back on my normal diet for these symptoms to disappear.
    Last edited by Artbuc; 12-30-2013 at 01:29 AM.

vikyb is offline Senior Member
    If you will, imagine eating an oyster, or some seafood or egg that you know is past being edible. Absolutely guaranteed to make you sick. Could you eat it, even if it smelt amazing?
    That is what gluten does to me, so even though the pasta and garlic bread I served up to DF and DS was smelling so good, I can resist, and quite easily.

I've been gluten free since April, and grain free since October. It gets easier.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I ate large amounts of wheat for the first time in forever this past week, and I've had a lot of gas and some brain fogginess. Nothing too serious, and nothing to be extreme about...I'm still alive and kicking (and losing weight).

Artemis67 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Perhaps you haven't heard of silent celiac. If you experience no symptoms, you may not be intolerant, or you may even have full-blown celiac but are not experiencing any symptoms at all. Such people are rarely tested or diagnosed (because they're not having symptoms, of course), but will eventually develop the same complications.
    I've never been tested for celiac, because I've never had symptoms that would point in that direction. Do I have it, "silent" or not? I have no idea. Am I going to go find out? No, because a formal dx is irrelevant at this point.

What I do know is this: when I eliminated wheat, all of the odd, low-grade inflammatory crap I'd pretty much accepted as normal and inevitable cleared right up. So did my obsessive food cravings and desire to binge eat. Gone.

I don't wake up in the morning with stiff, achy joints anymore. I don't wake up with a head full of snot and a throat full of gunk every morning. My seasonal allergies are so mild, I don't even bother with antihistamines now. I don't get psoriasis, or the thick, scaly buildup of skin on my elbows and feet (that would crack, peel, and bleed) anymore. My periodontal disease cleared up. And on top of that, my ADD symptoms have noticeably improved. My general sense of heaviness and lethargy, which kept me stuck to the couch, has lifted. I actually get the desire to go run, just for the hell of it, these days; I haven't experienced that in almost 40 years.

And that's all solely due to wheat elimination--nothing else.

If I do end up eating wheat (as I did when I ate cake at my brother's birthday party this month), the insane cravings to eat more of it come right back. It wasn't the cheese, or the leftover salmon, or even the ice cream I craved for the rest of the night and into the next morning; it was the goddamned CAKE. Not even the buttery chocolate icing--the CAAAKE! And I woke up the next morning with a wheat "hangover," including the brainfog, body aches, and head full of mucus.

Now, maybe I'm not celiac at all, and something else is at work, triggering these reactions. Maybe it's not even gluten (though I see no point in eating seitan as an n=1). I don't know. I only know that wheat is really, really bad for me, and that eating it is a really, really bad idea. End of story.

But my story is not everyone else's story. I do suggest a gluten elimination trial to anyone I know who has chronic inflammatory issues, but I don't automatically assume that it's the Magic Bullet that will fix everything.

Lots of people who are gluten intolerant or celiac and experience symptoms when they eat gluten have trouble staying away from it. It's like an addiction.
    I used to think sugar was the thing driving my compulsive eating. When I first did Atkins years ago, I got my first reprieve from obsessive cravings, and attributed it to the fact that I wasn't eating any sugar. But I wasn't eating any bread, pasta, tortillas, or crackers, either. Once I got out of Induction and started adding higher levels of carbs back, wheat returned to my diet, and off I went again. But even then, I didn't realize it; it took me several more years to finally identify wheat as the culprit behind out-of-control food cravings and binge eating. But once wheat was gone? The insanity lifted completely, and did not reappear until I ate wheat again.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    My advice, FWIW, is take wheat out of your daily diet, leave it for those visits to the French restaurant or similar.

When I ditched wheat four years ago, years of chronic body pain disappeared within two weeks, and my toenail fungus (now) is down to maybe 10% of what it was.

You may not think you have a reaction to wheat, but until you take it out of your diet for a month, you won't know. Also, if you are relatively young, perhaps no problem. But the inflammations can build up over the years. There's no reason to not play it safe.

For bread, find Glutino gluten free. Depending on where you live, it's most likely in your frozen breads section. It's now owned by Udi's, whose own labeled GF bread is sorta card boardy. Glutino? You will love it! It's mostly potato and tapioca starches. You will NOT feel deprived of bread.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    If you don't have visible symptoms, sure, wheat could be your 20%. I would say, though, make it REALLY good. Like that artisan bread from the market. No crappy donuts or Grok will smite you. Hehe!

canuck416 is online now Senior Member
    I didn't think that I had any problems with wheat until I started eating some after my first 4 months on a 100% Paleo diet. I had dropped almost 50 lbs., reduced my blood pressure from 130/90 to 105/72, could actually breathe through my nose with my mouth closed and my arthritis had disappeared from shoulders. My wife made some pasta and sourdough and we had a wonderful Italian dinner, the next morning I had sourdough bread at breakfast. I checked my weight and noticed I'd gained a couple of lbs which was not surprising but also checked by BP and it had jumped back up to my previous levels. Also noticed a return of the dull ache in my shoulders and my wife mentioned I snored that night for the first time in months. Needless to say I decided to try and avoid wheat from that point on.

Emmelle is offline Member
    I'm addicted to wheat, in all it's forms. The longer I stay away from it, the better I feel. It takes several weeks to get 'over it' when I have wheat relapses. I gain weight. I ache badly. I have depression. Belly bloat. These are things not worth the sour dough (ooo my favorite). I do have gluten free bread upon occasion, but I don't 'crave' it, and it doesn't make me feel sick afterword. I think wheat is hugely addictive for a lot of people...the ones who say "I could never give up__________ (enter your favorite wheat product.) Just my opinion.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast