Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: How bad is wheat, really? page 14

Alfi56 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Even for those who can tolerate wheat fine, it is a low quality food that can displace higher nutrition. It is often prepared with other low quality ingredients (like industrial seed oils and sugar) to make you want to eat more. And lots of people eat a diet that is 75% wheat, which can't be remotely meeting their nutritional requirements. And it's very easy to do that.
    What you said makes sense- that there's defintely healthier options of getting my carbs from veggies & the like. I think since I can tolerate wheat ok, I might include it in my occasional 20% without extreme guilt

Just wondering, I've heard of the term "wheat belly" but what do you mean by that exactly? Is there any scientific explanation behind it (in relatively simple terms please)?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Its a book by Dr. Davis.

Wheat sux. Don't eat it.

Question to primal folks out there:for those of us who aren't gluten-intolerant/celiac, do you eat bread/wheat, and how often do you cheat on it a little? I'm having bad cravings for it, despite being wheat-free for 6 months.

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    At best it will just kill you, at worst....well I don't even want to go there !

Polecatz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    Question to primal folks out there:for those of us who aren't gluten-intolerant/celiac, do you eat bread/wheat, and how often do you cheat on it a little? I'm having bad cravings for it, despite being wheat-free for 6 months.
    I accept a small amount of gluten will get into my diet (sausages, a taste of a cake made by a friend..) occasionally but I don't miss bread any more since virtually cutting it out in 2010. And I was addicted to bread. Can't remember the last time we had pasta (we use gluten free pasta but I don't even crave alternatives to bread any more-we just don't bother. We tend to eat meat and veg/curries/stews/roasts now.
    I think I missed bread for ages. Then I used alternative "flours" for a bit. Then I stopped trying to replace it.I would say don't try to replace it. Let it go and embrace tubers if you do ok on starches! My only starch is a tuber. Forget gluten free alternatives they are as bad and might lead to cravings for the real thing.

Heyo Jay is offline Senior Member
    wheat doesn't do anything to me (not that i know of) besides make me fat. but i'm sure if i ate wheat my entire life things would come up.

To be honest (I'm still kind of a newbie, so be easy on me please!), I'm still confused as to why wheat is so vilified for those who aren't gluten-intolerant. Unlike a lot of people, I don't feel any consequences from eating wheat (sometimes I wish I did so I would conditioned to stay away from it!) I get the whole phytates and nutritionless thing, but primal and lots of people endorse eating potatoes & rice instead of wheat, and using arrowroot powder to substitute cornstarch, etc. Isn't that still just eating high-carb, high-glycemic food? Or are these foods that we can have in moderation and on more active days, but not like every day? Im kind of confused.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Alfi,

I have documented the horrors of wheat with photos here:
    http://tinyurl.com/Wheat-Health-Problems
    Wheat has a terrible impact on the brain & body, as you can see.

Grizz

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    I absolutely love sandwiches and I miss bread more than anything else on the do not eat list. I come from a family that thought that if something tasted good for supper, the leftovers would taste even better the next day as a sandwich (and really, a cold eggplant parmesan sandwich for breakfast was yummy back in the day). I do use it as my "20." I try to keep the amount small like an English muffin or two slices of a decent sliced sourdough that WFoods carries (less than 150 calories for either) rather than eating a po'boy on a whole baguette. Even if I did that every day (and I don't), it would still be less than 10% of my total intake of food.

I don't consider anything I eat as a cheat. It's my body; my rules. Cheating on myself is silly. ETA: this sounded harsh, and I didn't mean it to be.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast