Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: How bad is wheat, really? page 12

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    There are many people here who claim that wheat is literally the worst food you can eat, that it is a poison, that it is singularly responsible for the fattening of America and various health problems, that eating it once a week is killing you.
    There are many people for whom wheat really is the worst thing they can eat. It really is a poison for them, and only a tiny percentage of those people are aware of whom they are. For those people, eating it once a week really is causing them irreversible long-term damage in many ways.

We're tired of being told that celiac and gluten intolerance are insignificant in numbers, which is a lie.

And yeah, there's a clear correlation between eating wheat and obesity.

If wanting to keep my health as I grow older makes me a "fanatic", what does trying to convince people who have celiac to eat wheat make you?
    Last edited by eKatherine; 07-18-2013 at 07:02 PM.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    There are many people for whom wheat really is the worst thing they can eat. It really is a poison for them, and only a tiny percentage of those people are aware of whom they are. For those people, eating it once a week really is causing them irreversible long-term damage in many ways.

We're tired of being told that celiac and gluten intolerance are insignificant in numbers, which is a lie.

And yeah, there's a clear correlation between eating wheat and obesity.

If wanting to keep my health as I grow older makes me a "fanatic", what does trying to convince people who have celiac to eat wheat make you?
    There is a massive difference from acknowledging and sharing that wheat is terrible for you as an individual, and saying that wheat is terrible for everybody and thus nobody should eat it. Its no different from vegan fanatics who claim meat is poison for everybody, simply because they can't tolerate it.

Alfi56 is offline Senior Member
    Just venting again, but I realized the smoked salmon I had today at a restaurant was probably cured with sugar..... seriously i cant believe how hard it is to avoid wheat or added sugar these days...

on another note im still kind of missing having nutty dr kracker crackers- used to eat them for lunch with tuna, soft cheese, and avo so goood and im getting tired of lettuce wraps and roasted veggies with my meals. any recommendations?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    There is a massive difference from acknowledging and sharing that wheat is terrible for you as an individual, and saying that wheat is terrible for everybody and thus nobody should eat it. Its no different from vegan fanatics who claim meat is poison for everybody, simply because they can't tolerate it.
    But what about those for whom it is causing problems, but don't realize it? There are a lot of them out there. A lot of people whose health problems are being caused by wheat have no idea.

Stina1115 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    But what about those for whom it is causing problems, but don't realize it? There are a lot of them out there. A lot of people whose health problems are being caused by wheat have no idea.
    Agree - I have a friend who had no known intolerance to gluten (or gliadin, the protein in gluten that causes problems), and now she has rheumatoid arthritis. She's only 28 (developed RA at the age of 25). The most success she's had mitigating her symptoms has been to simply avoid gluten.

Gluten (gliadin) causes the release of zonulin in endothelial cells in the small intestine, which leads to "leaky" tight junctions *in all people to some extent* (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16635908; The Dietary Intake of Wheat and other Cereal Grains and Their Role in Inflammation). In people with celiac's disease or with known gluten intolerance, the junctions stay open longer, and let more components into the blood stream (increased permeability, for prolonged periods of time). In those of us with mild/unnoticeable reactions to gluten, the junctions close quickly, and increased permeability is more transient. It's a matter of magnitude and duration of increased gut permeability - not "yes it happens in some people, no it does not happen in others".

When tight junctions are compromised, larger proteins/gut bacteria can potentially get taken up by the blood - tight junctions also exist in the endothelium of all blood vessels, and also control vessel permeability. The larger proteins that were let through the tight junctions of the gut due to zonulin release in the intestine (if zonulin serum (blood) levels are also increased due to ingesting gliadin) can also now migrate through the widened tight junctions of the vessels, potentially accumulating in various tissues (in the case of RA, for example, the joints). Thus begins the potential for the development of an autoimmune disease.

The pathophysiology resulting in autoimmune disease obviously won't occur in everyone - but it can occur to people who don't have a severe/noticeable reaction to gluten, and personally, I'd rather not take my chances. Of course, I'll indulge on occasion in social settings, but for the most part, I feel much better without the gluten.

Alfi56 is offline Senior Member
    AHH I'm still craving wheat..... I've cut it out for 3 weeks now i thk. I upped my fat, but the tubers and fruit just aren't doing it for me. To be honest, I had more energy, and was more satisfied when I included wheat in my diet (which was actually really just 1 w.w. tortilla with lunch, and maybe some crackers). I think it's because my lunches just got really boring with just veggies. I need some advice because I want to believe these claims that wheat is bad, yet I don't feel any effects from eating it (or eliminating it) and it's making me feel more deprived...

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    AHH I'm still craving wheat..... I've cut it out for 3 weeks now i thk. I upped my fat, but the tubers and fruit just aren't doing it for me. To be honest, I had more energy, and was more satisfied when I included wheat in my diet (which was actually really just 1 w.w. tortilla with lunch, and maybe some crackers). I think it's because my lunches just got really boring with just veggies. I need some advice because I want to believe these claims that wheat is bad, yet I don't feel any effects from eating it (or eliminating it) and it's making me feel more deprived...
    Skip breakfast, eat two square meals a day, especially in the evening to let your body recover during your sleep.
    Prefer proteins and don't restrict yourself, eat until your are full. Veggies are fine but they are not the most satiating foods. Hopefully, you are an omnivore and like animal stuff. Choose wisely (organ meats, fatty cuts, fish, etc) and add potatoes / rice / veggies, plenty of fruits as well. Don't snack. Drink most of the time between meals, not so much during meals.

Forget wheat, bread, etc. You have no need of them to make a meal interesting. This is poor nutrition and you will prevent your body from accessing other more interesting stuff by stuffing yourself with wheat based foods. If you crave sandwich wraps or tortillas, you have tons of recipes out there that don't depend on wheat. Same for crackers. Move your butt and cook for real man! (just kidding, I don't know if you cook every day or not)

PS: I forgot to add, if you really cannot live without wheat (that would worry me a little considering how poor in nutrition it is), prefer ancient strains. It will be more expensive but if you are health conscious, it would be a better choice.
    Last edited by dkJames; 07-26-2013 at 01:56 AM.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    Are you really craving wheat? Or processed wheat, food stuffs - bread, crackers etc.

Wheat ( the real stuff):
    You can buy bags of whole wheat grains ( chicken feed from supermarket or pet food supply shops - about 5 pound bags of pure/natural/whole wheat grains).

Cook them up like rice : wash them and boil them - turns out a bit like large whole grain rice ( and edible by humans - if you think gluten is edible by humans )

Cook up a pound for the week's supply of the wheat you crave - eat like whole grain rice.

Though I'll just stick to my white rice a couple days a week - I'm not eating wheat
    Last edited by EatMoveSleep; 07-26-2013 at 02:48 AM.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    You have done well to drop the wheat for three weeks, I'm a little surprised that you haven't noticeably felt better by doing so. However, having come this far it would be worth persevering a little longer to see if you can overcome the cravings. If they are carb-related then you may need to cut back on the fruit too for a bit and see if that helps.

My experience is that I do not feel deprived at all, in general I feel much more satisfied with my food all round and see wheat based items as non-food now. I literally sat at a table with bread, cake, slice AND biscuits at lunchtime today and did not feel lured by any of them, even though I just had a small bowl of soup because that's all that was suitable for me (I had anticipated this and ate a couple of eggs and glass of milk before I went though).

You may need more protein - just veges are not going to keep you satisfied. Eggs, meat, seafood etc, a decent serving at each meal.
    Last edited by Annieh; 07-26-2013 at 02:57 AM.

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    I cut wheat (and all the other non-paleo-approved foods) out for months when I decided to change my diet. At first I didn't notice any real difference in not eating wheat. Then I ate some by accident (mistook orzo pasta for rice, whoops) and found myself all bloated up - - painfully so! The next day I also experienced some, errrr, gastric distress. Let us just say that I was running for the bathroom. And it was then that I realized that I'd had that sort of gastric distress almost daily before I changed my diet, and now it wasn't happening at all. You know how when you're sick, it sucks, but once you're better you totally forget about being sick? That's how it was.

For what it's worth, rye and barley do the same thing to me. I tried eating some plain rye kernals by themselves, maybe 1/4 cup of them. Big mistake! Rice and corn have no noticeable effect, and I haven't tested out the less common grains.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast