Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: How bad is wheat, really? page 10

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    I think I will try going without wheat for 2 or 3 weeks. That's what I was wondering-if maybe wheat causes symptoms that I ignored and never realized. I know I will probably start craving it, so it'll be tough. I'm just wondering-what should my carbs be with lunch and dinner now? I actually don't like any kinds of tubers or rice. In addition, they're somewhat high on the glycemic index and I try to avoid the insulin spike.
    The glycemic index means little or nothing from a nutritional standpoint. Base your decisions on other factors.

I found during my research that eating 5oz of garlic provides 45g of carbs. I haven't actually tried that. But carbs are lurking in lots of vegetables.

Chupo is online now Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    The glycemic index means little or nothing from a nutritional standpoint. Base your decisions on other factors.

I found during my research that eating 5oz of garlic provides 45g of carbs. I haven't actually tried that. But carbs are lurking in lots of vegetables.
    Lord help whoever is eating 5oz of garlic! That's more garlic than a stick of butter weighs.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupo View Post
    Lord help whoever is eating 5oz of garlic! That's more garlic than a stick of butter weighs.
    If you poach or steam the whole, peeled and trimmed cloves, they are much milder. I might try it sometime. Sometime when I'm expecting to be alone for a couple of days, and during the warm season, when I can leave the windows open.

There are lots of vegetables with significant carb content. A visit to the Atkins site will show how they categorize them.

Jump Starting Weight Loss

Click through "What can I eat in this phase" for all 4 phases of the Atkins diet. The tables are very user friendly.

Timthetaco Guest
    I think I will try going without wheat for 2 or 3 weeks. That's what I was wondering-if maybe wheat causes symptoms that I ignored and never realized. I know I will probably start craving it, so it'll be tough. I'm just wondering-what should my carbs be with lunch and dinner now? I actually don't like any kinds of tubers or rice. In addition, they're somewhat high on the glycemic index and I try to avoid the insulin spike.
    Trying to convince you not to worry about insulin spikes and glycemic index would spark another five pages of argument, so I'll just say I don't think it's specifically the wheat you're craving, just the starch. Wheat is a high glycemic starch, so I think suitable replacements would be gluten-free grains or pseudo-grains or something similarly starchy.

snoops is offline Senior Member
    You can get plenty of carbs in just non starchy vegetables, fruits and nuts. You do not need to eat potatoes, rice or any other starch. Go onto cronometer or a similar site and log your foods. You will see there are alot of foods you dont associate with starches that have plenty of carbs.

snoops is offline Senior Member
    As an aside, you are talking like a wheat addict(I know one because I was one!!) when you say what starch can I have with lunch and dinner. Lose the thought that you need a "starch" with a meal. Its the reason most of my friends balk when I say try gluten free to get rid of *insert illness here* But what will I eat??!!

One month of meat, nuts, eggs, butter and non starchy veggies and you will be free of the mental and physical addiction. It was the best month I spent. Hard but so worth it. I reintroduced dairy because it does not affect me but have stayed of grains since that month.

Alfi56 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snoops View Post
    As an aside, you are talking like a wheat addict(I know one because I was one!!) when you say what starch can I have with lunch and dinner. Lose the thought that you need a "starch" with a meal. Its the reason most of my friends balk when I say try gluten free to get rid of *insert illness here* But what will I eat??!!

One month of meat, nuts, eggs, butter and non starchy veggies and you will be free of the mental and physical addiction. It was the best month I spent. Hard but so worth it. I reintroduced dairy because it does not affect me but have stayed of grains since that month.
    I've avoided wheat for a couple days, and I'm having a lot less energy even though I'm eating the same amount of carbs from veggies and fruit. Any advice?

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    I've avoided wheat for a couple days, and I'm having a lot less energy even though I'm eating the same amount of carbs from veggies and fruit. Any advice?
    Keep going without wheat, you'll feel better in a few days.

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member
    I was struggling with this too and I started eating an avocado everyday and that made all the difference!

Alfi56 is offline Senior Member
    Yea I'm finding that since I've cut out wheat, I'm eating a lot more fat from avocados, cheese, salad dressing, eggs and whatnot because I'm craving those instead.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast