Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 160

Thread: How bad is wheat, really? page 10

  1. #91
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,413
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    I think I will try going without wheat for 2 or 3 weeks. That's what I was wondering-if maybe wheat causes symptoms that I ignored and never realized. I know I will probably start craving it, so it'll be tough. I'm just wondering-what should my carbs be with lunch and dinner now? I actually don't like any kinds of tubers or rice. In addition, they're somewhat high on the glycemic index and I try to avoid the insulin spike.
    The glycemic index means little or nothing from a nutritional standpoint. Base your decisions on other factors.

    I found during my research that eating 5oz of garlic provides 45g of carbs. I haven't actually tried that. But carbs are lurking in lots of vegetables.

  2. #92
    Chupo's Avatar
    Chupo is online now Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    The glycemic index means little or nothing from a nutritional standpoint. Base your decisions on other factors.

    I found during my research that eating 5oz of garlic provides 45g of carbs. I haven't actually tried that. But carbs are lurking in lots of vegetables.
    Lord help whoever is eating 5oz of garlic! That's more garlic than a stick of butter weighs.

  3. #93
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupo View Post
    Lord help whoever is eating 5oz of garlic! That's more garlic than a stick of butter weighs.
    If you poach or steam the whole, peeled and trimmed cloves, they are much milder. I might try it sometime. Sometime when I'm expecting to be alone for a couple of days, and during the warm season, when I can leave the windows open.

    There are lots of vegetables with significant carb content. A visit to the Atkins site will show how they categorize them.

    Jump Starting Weight Loss

    Click through "What can I eat in this phase" for all 4 phases of the Atkins diet. The tables are very user friendly.

  4. #94
    Timthetaco's Avatar
    Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    I think I will try going without wheat for 2 or 3 weeks. That's what I was wondering-if maybe wheat causes symptoms that I ignored and never realized. I know I will probably start craving it, so it'll be tough. I'm just wondering-what should my carbs be with lunch and dinner now? I actually don't like any kinds of tubers or rice. In addition, they're somewhat high on the glycemic index and I try to avoid the insulin spike.
    Trying to convince you not to worry about insulin spikes and glycemic index would spark another five pages of argument, so I'll just say I don't think it's specifically the wheat you're craving, just the starch. Wheat is a high glycemic starch, so I think suitable replacements would be gluten-free grains or pseudo-grains or something similarly starchy.

  5. #95
    snoops's Avatar
    snoops is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    I think I will try going without wheat for 2 or 3 weeks. That's what I was wondering-if maybe wheat causes symptoms that I ignored and never realized. I know I will probably start craving it, so it'll be tough. I'm just wondering-what should my carbs be with lunch and dinner now? I actually don't like any kinds of tubers or rice. In addition, they're somewhat high on the glycemic index and I try to avoid the insulin spike.
    You can get plenty of carbs in just non starchy vegetables, fruits and nuts. You do not need to eat potatoes, rice or any other starch. Go onto cronometer or a similar site and log your foods. You will see there are alot of foods you dont associate with starches that have plenty of carbs.

  6. #96
    snoops's Avatar
    snoops is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    226
    As an aside, you are talking like a wheat addict(I know one because I was one!!) when you say what starch can I have with lunch and dinner. Lose the thought that you need a "starch" with a meal. Its the reason most of my friends balk when I say try gluten free to get rid of *insert illness here* But what will I eat??!!

    One month of meat, nuts, eggs, butter and non starchy veggies and you will be free of the mental and physical addiction. It was the best month I spent. Hard but so worth it. I reintroduced dairy because it does not affect me but have stayed of grains since that month.

  7. #97
    Alfi56's Avatar
    Alfi56 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by snoops View Post
    As an aside, you are talking like a wheat addict(I know one because I was one!!) when you say what starch can I have with lunch and dinner. Lose the thought that you need a "starch" with a meal. Its the reason most of my friends balk when I say try gluten free to get rid of *insert illness here* But what will I eat??!!

    One month of meat, nuts, eggs, butter and non starchy veggies and you will be free of the mental and physical addiction. It was the best month I spent. Hard but so worth it. I reintroduced dairy because it does not affect me but have stayed of grains since that month.
    I've avoided wheat for a couple days, and I'm having a lot less energy even though I'm eating the same amount of carbs from veggies and fruit. Any advice?

  8. #98
    dkJames's Avatar
    dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    I've avoided wheat for a couple days, and I'm having a lot less energy even though I'm eating the same amount of carbs from veggies and fruit. Any advice?
    Keep going without wheat, you'll feel better in a few days.

  9. #99
    JulieRUNS's Avatar
    JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Suburban Chicago
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    I've avoided wheat for a couple days, and I'm having a lot less energy even though I'm eating the same amount of carbs from veggies and fruit. Any advice?
    I was struggling with this too and I started eating an avocado everyday and that made all the difference!

  10. #100
    Alfi56's Avatar
    Alfi56 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    461
    Yea I'm finding that since I've cut out wheat, I'm eating a lot more fat from avocados, cheese, salad dressing, eggs and whatnot because I'm craving those instead.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •