Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Other source of carbs other than rice/potatoes? page 2

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    If you can find real African yams (they are big and brown on the outside, white and slimy on the inside), that's another option. They're very bland. I'm into butternut squash lately.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

infinitewellness is offline Junior Member
    What about quinoa?

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Tuber is a pretty broad umbrella. Even the ordinary supermarkets around here have 10+ types of potato, sweet potato, taro root, etc. Try different styles of boiling, baking, etc. I do a fair amount of plantain or pumpkin pancakes too.

If you really need density you could use tapioca pearls/flour/bread as the empty calorie option.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Alfi56 is offline Senior Member
    I'm also concerned that a lot of tubers/rice noodles, etc are pretty high glycemic and can raise insulin levels. Should I limit starches to just around the days I workout, because I'm actually pretty sedentary

Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    I'm also concerned that a lot of tubers/rice noodles, etc are pretty high glycemic and can raise insulin levels. Should I limit starches to just around the days I workout, because I'm actually pretty sedentary
    An excerpt from a study titled "Nutrient effects: post-absorptive interactions" (there's a full version available online) that should ease your worry about eating carbohydrates while sedentary:

"The body’s glycogen reserves are small and are usually maintained at between 250 and 500 g in a 70 kg adult man. A normal maintenance diet provides about 250-300 g CHO/d, which represents 50-100% of the total glycogen stores. From day-to-day, change in the body’s glycogen stores in the post-absorptive state are very small. This indicates that within 24 h there is total oxidation of absorbed dietary CHO."

There's more in there about the ability of glycogen stores to swell greatly before de novo lipogenesis kicks in, and carbohydrates also promote their own oxidation (unlike fat). Bottom line, it shouldn't be too hard to maintain your body weight eating fruit and starch even if you're sedentary.
    Last edited by Timthetaco; 07-04-2013 at 12:18 PM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    5oz of garlic has 203 calories and a whopping 45g of carbs. Enjoy!

MouthDR is offline Senior Member
    Why, on a paleo forum, are people recommending corn, quinoa, rice, milk, etc.?

If you want to consume those foods, wouldn't bb.com be a better forum? Maybe I'm missing something. I dunno.

elfman5150 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MouthDR View Post

If you want to consume those foods, wouldn't bb.com be a better forum? Maybe I'm missing something. I dunno.
    Don't want to sound harsh, but I think you are mistaken. This isn't a paleo forum, its a PRIMAL forum. That means eating real foods, not necessarily only that which our ancestors ate thousands of years ago. If you find that you can tolerate certain whole foods which are 'newer,' then by all means eat it up!
    Anyway, my favorite carbs are squash - all types. I like to make a nice coconut curry squash soup out of them. It usually involves:
    3-4 lbs winter squash (I like kabocha)
    1 medium onion
    1 granny smith apple
    coconut milk
    vegetable broth
    curry powder/other spices/salt
    BLEND IT UP!

lasts a good amount of time, especially if its only you eating it. Hope that helps

Mikee5 is offline Senior Member

This isn't an exclusively Paleo forum. This is a Primal forum. They may be similar but Primal has a different approach, especially with a more moderate emphasis on carbohydrate restriction and more variety. PaleoHacks is the main Paleo forum.

Rice is already a Primal approved food, and so is dairy. I agree about the milk and corn but if you want dogmatic, unhelpful responses, PaleoHacks is great. Maybe it's just an observation, I dunno.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

Not to be a bitch, but this is a Primal forum. Dairy is fine if you tolerate it well. I can't speak to the other foods. And white rice is considered null, not damaging.

Oops, I should have read ahead.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast