Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whaddya MEAN potato chips are bad?! page

Myvstar1100 is offline Junior Member

Question Whaddya MEAN potato chips are bad?!

OK, I know they are not the best choice....but potatoes aren't terrible and saturated fats aren't the devil.

So if you're wanting a bit of a less than Primal treat, wouldn't potato chips be a suitable choice?

I don't eat them any more, mainly I think because of the kind of fat they're cooked in. But when I do get the urge, since beets and sweet potatoes are obviously better than regular potatoes, I will buy the "Tarro" brand of natural chips made from exotic vegetables, or sweet potatoes and beets. Man, they're good.
    Now and then it is good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Potatoes aren't primal, and potato chips are full of crap anyways. Terra is a better choice but they use vegetable oil.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

hannahc is offline Senior Member
    Well, white potatoes in particular are most definitely not primal, and most potato chips you find are going to be fried in vegetable oil. If you could find chips fried in tallow or lard then you'd have some good saturated fat at least, but you're not getting any from regular old potato chips! You could try making your own sweet potato chips fried in tallow or lard, that actually sounds pretty delicious

And with all that said, you can do whatever the heck you want to with your 20%, so if you just have to eat a snack sized back of potato chips with your lunch one day it's not going to kill you. The gross oils in Lay's and any of the others might hurt your tummy though (they definitely hurt mine), so you might not do it more than a couple of times anyway.
    You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    yes, the oils most (all>?) chip brands use are highly unstable seed or soy oils.....and basically cause cancer and raise your small dense LDL count. And, while you could say potatoes are less offensive than wheat grain, they are still nutritionally inferior to sweet potatoes and japanese yams. And, having a bag of potato chips laying around the house is just asking for your carb intake to go up.

Bottom line, there are much better things to eat. like a steak!

Fury22 is offline Senior Member
    I definitely prefer sweet potatoes over white (or red), however I still eat regular potatoes about once a week and don't consider it part of my 80/20 rule. I side with FreeTheAnimal on the potato issue.

Few things better than meat and potatoes with sour cream and dill. Testosterone on a plate.
    Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I think homemade ones are a perfectly reasonable food, if you've got room for the carbs on a given day. I ate maybe half a serving of conventional franken-oil chips a few weeks back and didn't feel terribly guilty about it.

Myvstar1100 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hannahc View Post
    The gross oils in Lay's and any of the others might hurt your tummy though (they definitely hurt mine), so you might not do it more than a couple of times anyway.
    I never even thought about how the grease was going to make the tummy feel! I'm sensitive stomached to begin with (which is why I've gone this route) and since all the fresh and whole foods, I doubt very much my stomach would appreciate the visitor.

I'm also fairly new to PB (mostly paying lots of attention to the No Grains part at the moment) and not quite up on all the oil information yet....nor did I realize that potatoes are not primal.

Thanks for the info, all.

PS. I didn't bring the chips home, The Boyfriend and his son brought a person-sized bag of them home from a recent camping trip. I tried to throw them out but I got caught....same with the giant Costco muffins and the two paper sacks full of cookies. It's a challenge living my life at the moment!

Griff is offline Senior Member
    You are joking, right? You want to dump that much starch into your body and trigger the insulin fat-storage response?

It's not the saturated fats. It's the potatoes.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Ry
    Ry is offline Member
    The way potato chips are processed is disgusting. The potatoes go through a series of dehydrations, heatings, and liquifications until they are nothing but paste. The paste is spread into sheets and the chips are cut out from it. These chips are then cooked at high heats in trays of oil that might be several days old.

If you want to make your own potato chips I would say go ahead, they have the potential to be very healthly. But commercial potato chips are one of the last things I would put in my body.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast