Thread: Okay to keep coconut oil in a warm place? page

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member

Okay to keep coconut oil in a warm place?

Primal Fuel
    So, with summer hitting the place where I live pretty hard, the room where I keep my coconut oil has gotten pretty warm to the point where the coconut oil is perpetually in a liquid state if I keep it in the cupboard. It doesn't get unbearably hot in there, but pretty warm--maybe mid-80's? I live in a house owned by other people, so I don't have any control over that.

At first, I was concerned and put it in the fridge. But now I'm wondering ... could I maybe just leave it out? You tend to have to melt coconut oil to use it in recipes anyway, so having it in a liquid state would be convenient. But I'm just worried it'd go bad faster.

Any thoughts?

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    As far as I know it's fine. Start using a spoon instead of a knife to get it out. That is how primal people know it is summer. You'll know winter is coming when it turns back into a solid. If I remember right the melting point is in the 70s.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure, but I think it will go rancid sooner if it's in a liquid state - just guessing. What I do (Louisiana, so right in that circle of hell with you) is to put about two or three days worth in a smaller container that I take out of the fridge in the morning. When I've used that up, I take the larger container out of the fridge until it's soft enough to refill the smaller container.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    coconuts are tropical. Keep it <300*F and it will outlast you.

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, slightly mixed responses, but generally in favor of it being okay. I guess I will put it back on the shelf and I'll just be careful about it--make sure it doesn't smell funny or anything after awhile.

Thanks for the feedback.

fillyone is offline Senior Member
    The only Coconut oil I keep in the 'fridge is the ice cube trays that I fill for an easy/quick way to give it to my dogs. I figure when it's completely liquid I have the right to complain about how hot it is in my house!!!
    Barb - Portland, Oregon

"Everything is as it should be given what has gone before. This is not an excuse but it is a reason"
    ~ Dr G & Barb ~

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Markbt View Post
    As far as I know it's fine. Start using a spoon instead of a knife to get it out. That is how primal people know it is summer. You'll know winter is coming when it turns back into a solid. If I remember right the melting point is in the 70s.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Best description ever. Using it as soon as I can. :0)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2