Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weaning teenage son off high carb diet... page

sonialanc is offline Junior Member

Weaning teenage son off high carb diet...

Primal Fuel
    I've been a follower of a loose paleo diet for some time now and was concerned about my 14 year old son who eats loads of processed carbs. He has suddenly discovered omelettes! However we had 12 eggs in the fridge the other day and now we have 2 I think he's had quite a few! What would be a safe number of edges to eat in 1 day and have you any fave recipes which take 5 minutes to make ( yes, he is a teenager who gets up for school with 5 minutes for breakfast) which would appeal to him.... Thanks

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sonialanc View Post
    I've been a follower of a loose paleo diet for some time now and was concerned about my 14 year old son who eats loads of processed carbs. He has suddenly discovered omelettes! However we had 12 eggs in the fridge the other day and now we have 2 I think he's had quite a few! What would be a safe number of edges to eat in 1 day and have you any fave recipes which take 5 minutes to make ( yes, he is a teenager who gets up for school with 5 minutes for breakfast) which would appeal to him.... Thanks
    Eggs are fine and can be cooked fairly quickly. If that takes too long, you could make some kind of egg casserole bake or egg muffins with some kind of meat and vegetables and cheese added that you could just microwave. I wouldn't worry about him (or anyone) eating a lot of eggs, I would just buy more eggs. For two people I buy two dozen eggs once or twice a week, depending on how many eggs we feel like eating that week.

Mikee5 is offline Senior Member
    Encouraging your son to eliminate processed foods from his diet? Absolutely. Don't forget sugar, gluten, etc.

There is nothing wrong with carbohydrates and glucose. Are you going to attempt getting a 14 year old 'fat-adapted'? You will also be jeopardising his health. He needs carbs to grow and develop. Going low carb will affect his thyroid function, develop insulin resistance and send his hormones out of whack, not to forget deplete a poor child of energy and mental acuity. White rice, potatoes and plenty of fruit sounds good to me and is optimal.

You'll be depriving him of nutritious foods. Encourage him to eat everything Paleo/Primal and fuel his body, don't restrict or eliminate food groups. Don't favour butter and coconut oil over fruits and starch.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikee5 View Post
    Encouraging your son to eliminate processed foods from his diet? Absolutely. Don't forget sugar, gluten, etc.

There is nothing wrong with carbohydrates and glucose. Are you going to attempt getting a 14 year old 'fat-adapted'? You will also be jeopardising his health. He needs carbs to grow and develop. Going low carb will affect his thyroid function, develop insulin resistance and send his hormones out of whack, not to forget deplete a poor child of energy and mental acuity. White rice, potatoes and plenty of fruit sounds good to me and is optimal.

You'll be depriving him of nutritious foods. Encourage him to eat everything Paleo/Primal and fuel his body, don't restrict or eliminate food groups. Don't favour butter and coconut oil over fruits and starch.
    This.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

F.Fellini is offline Member
    As others have said, do NOT get him off a high-carb diet. Just get him off of a PROCESSED FOODS diet. For a 14 year-old, fruits, sweet potatoes, potatoes, and squashes are absolutely ideal, and even rice, dried fruit, molasses, honey, maple syrup, fruit juice, etc. don't need to be avoided and can be very beneficial.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F.Fellini View Post
    As others have said, do NOT get him off a high-carb diet. Just get him off of a PROCESSED FOODS diet. For a 14 year-old, fruits, sweet potatoes, potatoes, and squashes are absolutely ideal, and even rice, dried fruit, molasses, honey, maple syrup, fruit juice, etc. don't need to be avoided and can be very beneficial.
    agree with most of this except about the juice. anybody would be better served simply eating fruit.

instead of trying to make breakfast each day, i make an egg-bake thing once a week. 12 eggs, 1/2 stick butter, 4 oz goat cheese, 2 bags frozen veggies. bake, portion, freeze, grab/go each day. makes 8 servings for me. he might need more.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sonialanc View Post
    I think his upper limit should be 30 eggs a day. That seems excessive to me.

Our family (2 adults, 3 kids) goes through slightly less than 60 eggs a week. I think a teenage boy could easily eat that many in a week just by himself.

My favourite 'snack' for when I get home late in the evening and haven't had dinner: Break 4-5 eggs into a bowl, with 50g butter and 50ml cream. Microwave for about 2min, (stirring with a fork every 30s), until egg solidifies. Season with salt/pepper/cheese and eat.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 07-03-2013 at 05:23 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    To be fair the OP didn't say she wanted her son to go low carb, just that she was concerned about his consumption of processed carbs.

I get this! I don't like my kids eating bread, but I've said they can have 2 slices a day... Yesterday my middle child ate loads more and I told him I'd stop buying it again...

My issue is what I feed them for lunch when a sandwich is the easiest thing... So I let them eat bread then. (I've tried to get them to take some cold meatloaf or something to school but they're not into that).

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fireling View Post
    I don't like my kids eating bread, but I've said they can have 2 slices a day... Yesterday my middle child ate loads more and I told him I'd stop buying it again...
    I think this sounds like a good guideline that I might try, if they have their sandwich for lunch then not toast for breakfast as well.

But what about other things like biscuits and cake that other people might give them? That doesn't come into their quota?

sonialanc is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks so far, just to reiterate I am not restricting his unprocessed carbs, just don't want him munching sugar laden highly processed breakfast cereals in particular. He has plenty other carbs but breakfast was an issue.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast