Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weaning teenage son off high carb diet... page 2

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    IMO, processed carbs like bread, cheetos, fritos, doritoes, etc., are totally different from carbs that come from nature. I wouldn't restrict his overall carb intake, just make fruits and veggies (including rice, potatoes, and sweet potatoes) readily availble to him while making the "itos" food group something he has to buy with whatever pocket money or allowance you let him to have.

Almost any omelette you can make in a pan on the stove top, you can pre-make by baking it. Frozen pre-baked eggs defrost really quickly, so if you bake eggs ahead of time, especially in a muffin tin, you can defrost them when you get up and then a quick pop into the microwave to heat them when he wakes up.

I also wouldn't worry about how many eggs he's eating overall. They're a nice little protein with plenty of fat to feed his growing body and brain. Let him listen to his body for awhile without all the noise from the experts. He could very well change and adapt as his body changes - he might even grow up to be one of those healthy people who only eats when he's hungry and never has to worry about his weight.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    I try not to worry what other people give my kids... Simply because it's out of my control, and ultimately our kids need to decide for themselves how to eat.

However if we can provide them with healthier alternatives that are just as tasty (if not more so) we might be able to turn the tide in favour of healthier food!

I try to eat mostly unprocessed foods, but I'm not adverse to paleo treats for the kids on occasion either!

Markbt is online now Senior Member
    Eggs are a great breakfast. There is a reason that our great grandparents started eating them, and it wasn't just because pop tarts and breakfast biscuits weren't invented yet. There is plenty of information on here to set you straight if you are worried about that old cholesterol lie.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    I buy a good protein shake for my 14 yr old. It only takes him 2 minutes to blitz one up with frozen berries or a banana.

He has no issue with dairy and even though the protein drink is processed I believe its better for him than the other rubbish he used to eat.

Keeps him going for ages and I have noticed he is starting to really build muscle and cut up. This could be cos he's 14 of course, but also I think because of the high quality protein he is eating.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    No such thing as too many eggs until he barely eats anything else. Many people eat upwards of a dozen a day with no problems at all, lipid panels even improve in many cases.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

sonialanc is offline Junior Member
    Many thanks - answers my question.....

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fireling View Post
    I try not to worry what other people give my kids... Simply because it's out of my control, and ultimately our kids need to decide for themselves how to eat.

However if we can provide them with healthier alternatives that are just as tasty (if not more so) we might be able to turn the tide in favour of healthier food!

I try to eat mostly unprocessed foods, but I'm not adverse to paleo treats for the kids on occasion either!
    I'm in favour of your attitude, and try to take the same approach. Sometimes I have to bite my tongue and it's hard.
    What age are your children?

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    Eating up to 6 eggs a day is not a problem. It would only be a problem if he had an allergy. Eating eggs is FAR HEALTHIER than eating processed carbohydrates. You should commend him on eating healthier!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12