Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need more fat page

SK1
    SK1 is offline Member

Need more fat

Primal Fuel
    Lately, I've been feeling hungry/snackish at work. I think I may not be getting enough fat in my lunches - after all, I can only put so much avocado or olive oil on my salads.

I've been trying not to eat too much dairy - I still partake of cream in my coffee, Greek yogurt, and the occasional hard cheese but I'd prefer not to depend on cheese for snacks if possible.

I'd also prefer not to depend on nuts/nut butter, they're fine occasionally but it seems nuts and dairy are the two things people around here cut back on when trying to lose/maintain weight.

I know some folks take a spoonful of coconut oil if they're feeling hungry and that sounds like a good plan to me, but my coconut oil, while fine for cooking, is not great for eating plain.

Any suggestions on upping the fat intake?

Thanks!

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Eat fatty meats
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

hannahc is offline Senior Member
    Try putting your coconut oil (I'm assuming it's "virgin" or unrefined) in your coffee! It'll seem a little weird at first, but it absolutely helps to up your fat, and will keep you from getting hungry at work. Mine is unrefined, so it lends a teeny bit of coconut flavor to my coffee, which I really like. I've also taken to eating small portions of sweet potato with LOTS of butter (1 tbs of butter for 1/2 cup of sweet potato), which keeps me feeling full all morning too.

I tend to overdo nut butters and nuts in general, and I eat too much protein when I focus on eating only fatty meat for my fat intake. CO and butter are great for keeping a good balance for me.
    You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

jostle is offline Senior Member
    Adding meat to the salad should help you fill up. Try chicken thighs, 4/5 slice of bacon, 1/2lb grass fed ground beef or all together for a really filling meal.

RezH is offline Senior Member
    Do you all find the coconut oil to be a bit of overkill, especially when cooking? I suppose there are other kinds of recipes, but when I make my evening meat it's always a combo of EVOO and butter (recommended by chefs). When I did have a jar of coconut oil, I noticed it was not all that great for cooking.

SK1
    SK1 is offline Member
    Thanks Hannah. That's a good idea about the coffee and small portions of things with lots of butter. I just have to mention, I made your shrimp stir-fry from your blog the other night and it was such a great, simple meal!

SK1
    SK1 is offline Member
    I suppose anything is fine, but I particularly like coconut oil for eggs and stir-fry.

hannahc is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Hannah. That's a good idea about the coffee and small portions of things with lots of butter. I just have to mention, I made your shrimp stir-fry from your blog the other night and it was such a great, simple meal!
    Aw thanks I'm so glad you liked it! I was really happy with the way it turned out myself, and was excited to share it.
    You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RezH View Post
    Do you all find the coconut oil to be a bit of overkill, especially when cooking? I suppose there are other kinds of recipes, but when I make my evening meat it's always a combo of EVOO and butter (recommended by chefs). When I did have a jar of coconut oil, I noticed it was not all that great for cooking.
    You can also cook with sustainably sourced palm kernel oil (or Spectrum non-hydrogenated "shortening", which is pure palm oil). It has no taste. I like to cook my meat in strained bacon grease I save. It makes everything taste better:-)

PS- when you're feeling snacky all day long and you know you're eating enough fat, the next question is: are you getting enough sleep? Lack of sleep increases the hunger hormone ghrelin and decreases leptin, so you end up hungry all day no matter what you eat.

eyeshield9 is offline Junior Member
    Dark chocolate! Anything over 85% I think is high-fat enough (for a snack)

Strange but I also use fish oil caps as a fat source

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast