Thread: 531 Bbb wendell page

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member

531 Bbb wendell

Primal Fuel
    Has anyone done the wendall 531 boring but big protocol.

How did they find it ?results?

It's basically strong lifts with hypertrophy at the end starting @ 50% then up10% each month + ur other isolated exercises.

London

Dignan is offline Junior Member
    Great program. I've gained a bit north of 10 pounds in the first 6 weeks, and my clothes are looser. Only downsides are that I'm tired most of the time, and I have to eat a ton.

It's Wendler, btw.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I have only done the BBB protocol with overhead press, but I did not stick with it long enough to evaluate it. I have done the basic 5/3/1 template on and off for years now though and it is wonderful. Great for intermediate/advanced lifters.

maclrc is offline Senior Member
    I'm following it now and highly recommend it.

I should point out that I only train 2-3 times a week, so cannot comment on potential for over-training if doing 4 sessions a week (although this does allow me to skip the deload wave).

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...t/531_reloaded

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Boring but big version of 5/3/1 is a lot of volume. My personal take (and Jim Wendler ain't the one reading my books for programming advice) is that it's a good program for an already strong person to put on some serious mass. You definitely have to eat and sleep like he says in the book if you're going to go that route.

If you're a novice lifter, you might get more mileage out of a novice linear progression, a la Starting Strength. And that's a book everybody who's remotely serious about lifting should own, regardless of their intent to do the program of the same name.

I've made progress on 5/3/1 (not the BBB variant), but I'm currently adding more weight to the bar more quickly on a linear progression than I ever did then. I plan to return to it, but only after I've legitimately exhausted my ability to progress in a linear fashion. Although I'll probably still squat 2-3 times a week instead of once.

The question isn't if it's a good program, but if it's the right program for your goals at your level of training development. What are your current stats and what are you hoping to get out of the program?

Dignan is offline Junior Member
    I admit that I'd probably be making faster progress (in terms of adding more weight to the bar) in a more novice-oriented program with a linear progression, but BBB is nice for a few reasons. It is a pretty quick workout, with relatively little screwing around with the setup of the rack or the plates. I can super-set the 5x10 assists to get a little HIIT workout at the same time. Depending on the day, i can bang out my main lift, the 5x10 assists, and the secondary assists in 45 min. And true to its name, it is very boring - I can focus on doing the lifts correctly rather than "what do I do next".

BBB is a four day routine with a lot of volume, so if you do it, be ready to be tired and hungry a lot of the time, and so be ready to eat a lot and to get lots of high-quality sleep. I'm doing both, and I'm still wiped most of the time. But I'm pretty old, and a younger person might find it less taxing.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    I like 531 from a programming standpoint. It's nice and simple. I did 5 waves of 531 /w accessory work last year then took a break. I got my numbers up to mid 2's on bench, mid 3's on squats and mid 4's on deadlift with press almost hitting body weight.

I decided to get back on 531 and start incorporating BBB with complexes/sprints on off days. I am liking it so far, I am using 60% of my max for the volume. It seems to be about perfect, I am gassed on the 5th volume set barely squeezing out the 9-10th rep. I am trying to gauge just how much I really need to eat (with this volume) and not going overboard. Last time I just ate like a horse and didn't care.

I also backed off a little on the weight when starting back up. Wendler suggests doing this after 5-6 waves, backing off by a couple and resetting (2 steps forward, 1 step back)
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

dougbuzz is offline Junior Member
    yeah,i think so,Although I'll probably still squat 2-3 times a week instead of once.

Marinas Florin is offline Senior Member
    I would start with something even better and I mean about Starting Strength> this can help you.
    No Bull fat loss and muscle gaining at http://www.nobsbb.com

I am not a bodybuilding/fat loss/strength training "guru" BUT I achieved a lean state with ease after learning the correct way to train and eat and I want to HELP YOU achieve the same.

Lose Weight/Gain Muscle/Strength - FEEL BETTER

Start here: http://www.nobsbb.com/new-start-here/