Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help wanted from meatheads page 3

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Dude just likes getting a rise out of us.

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    Starting Strength: Article

I haven't actually finished the book but I am reading the Kindle version.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    King troll numero uno! When ignorant posters give me such a nice "title" then I know for sure that I am on the right track!
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member

txdude396 is offline Junior Member
    From my personal experience of lifting weight on and off for the last 10 years, I've found that less is more. Only workout each muscle group once per week. Make the workouts short and very intense. There is an intesity threshold that you need to surpass to stimulate growth. Intensity is more important than volume and the more intense you workout, the shorter your workout is able to be.
    I've lifted weight 6 days a week, then 4 days, then 3 days then 2 and now 1 day a week. I've found that for me the best gains come from working out once a week really intensly and then giving a whole week for your muscles to recover and grow.
    I recommend "Body by Science" by Doug McGuff & John Little. Their workout program is designed to provide the best & most efficient (10-15 min a week) stimulus for muscle growth in a way that has the least risk for causing injury.
    Check out videos on youtube by Doug McGuff and Drew Baye

txdude396 is offline Junior Member
    Lots of different exercise programs will give you results. Some will do it more effeciently and safer than others. Unless you are genetically gifted to put on muscle really easily, there are 3 things to do or else you probably wont make any gains on any program. Make sure you get good plentiful sleep, dont do a bunch of cardio (your cardiovascular system can get a great workout from the 15min nonstop weigt-lifting workout), and eat plenty of food.

MouthDR is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    Sounds like you're a bit too emotionally invested in this conversation. Starting Strength is a great base for inexperienced trainees to start with, and you will get strong and pack on some mass. Your observations mean jack shit, because they're just that; observations. I followed starting strength, didn't get fat, and I am lean. Assuming your observations apply in every situation is idiotic.

Anyways, Starting Strength is excellent for beginners. However, I wouldn't recommend it for people who are focused on hypertrophy and are at the intermediate stages of lifting.
    If you did SS and didn't pack on any considerable amount of fat, you certainly didn't get very strong. Or at least, not as strong as Mark would have hoped for. He even comments in the book about the fact that teenagers have a fascination with abs (well no shit Sherlock) and says this in his lead-up to GOMAD. Milk in and of itself is anabolic. It's also very high in calories. Both of which promote great strength, and growth (both muscular and fat).

I agree, it is a great base for beginners, but isn't that why someone here suggested it? On page 302 of the 2nd edition, he states that a "great place to start is 1g/lbs of protein for bodyweight and the rest made up to come in around 2500-5000 calories." Granted, most guys aren't going to be eating 2500 calories to grow. That's female eating territory. They'll be eating closer to the high end of that number. Which means packing on a lot of fat, which obviously brings strength too. And because this program is geared for newbies, it does pack on a lot of fat. GOMAD or not. Most newbies are skinny, scrawny guys who just want to get bigger. Not necessarily ripped. So I don't see the problem with my statement that SS makes you fat. IT DOES. At least, the diet recommendations do. And that said, he only devotes 1 page to diet which is pretty sad.

The book on a whole is very good, and if you look at my first post in the thread, I said just that. The writing on the squat, power, etc are all very detailed and well written. As is the section on flooring, shoes, etc. It's a good book. But as a program, it is nothing magical or spectacular. Doing any form of weight training, using the basic lifts, and eating a lot will make you bigger and stronger.

Why all the hate for me, and love for the book?

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    The book is not about diet. It's about learning the basic barbell movements. I don't listen to Mark Rippetoe's diet advice, because he's not an expert on diet, and he will tell you that himself I'm sure. The basic barbell movements don't make you fat. The way you eat makes you fat.

Who said it was magical or spectacular?
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

I certainly didn't, but the implication was there by others who were offended by my suggestion that SS's advice (including the dietary advice cuz let's face it: these are newbies and they're looking for a complete program) is incorrect in suggesting ANYONE do GOMAD because it will make you fat.

No one said lifting heavy weights will make you fat. That's ridiculous.

Drinking a gallon of milk a day will make you fat. Or as some delusional guys will say, "husky." And SS advocates for GOMAD. So my conclusion stands: SS will make you fat if you follow it as suggested. What's the problem?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm done talking about SS. You like it? Do it. Don't like it? Don't.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast