Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37

Thread: Help wanted from meatheads page 2

  1. #11
    MaceyUK's Avatar
    MaceyUK is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Gloucestershire UK
    Posts
    758
    I have read the first two chapters and it makes sense...I'm not daft enough to drink a gallon of milk a day or I wouldn't be a member of this community. I am expecting to eat quite a bit more but I have never been overweight in my life. I may go for 6 eggs in one go or a whole chicken spread out over an afternoon and evening. from what I know and have read overeating will stimulate growth but it needs to be done with control....if that makes any sense.

  2. #12
    jakejoh10's Avatar
    jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by MouthDR View Post
    I have the 2nd edition. How the f*** would you know if I have read it or not? I have yet to see anyone that has followed that program and is lean. Although EVERYONE I have seen that follows it is fatter than f***. My observations.

    BTW, there is nothing new about that program. It's nothing different from the multitude of strength building programs out there.
    Sounds like you're a bit too emotionally invested in this conversation. Starting Strength is a great base for inexperienced trainees to start with, and you will get strong and pack on some mass. Your observations mean jack shit, because they're just that; observations. I followed starting strength, didn't get fat, and I am lean. Assuming your observations apply in every situation is idiotic.

    Anyways, Starting Strength is excellent for beginners. However, I wouldn't recommend it for people who are focused on hypertrophy and are at the intermediate stages of lifting.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

  3. #13
    Gorbag's Avatar
    Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    4,309
    Starting strength are for dudes that want to learn to lift heavier, but not necessary beef up too much! You can do the program or similar stuff like an old school full body program, or 5X5 etc., to catch in some newbie gains and then jump on a hypertrophy program, if that’s what you want. Don’t buy the arch-BS that you must lift a certain amount of weight to go off the program. I would not advice newbies to do linear progressive overload training for more than 6-8 months before leaving the bandwagon, jump off when stalling on your lifts…

  4. #14
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8,412
    Quote Originally Posted by MouthDR View Post
    I have the 2nd edition. How the f*** would you know if I have read it or not?
    Either you didn't read it or you didn't understand it. Because your assertion about the role of GOMAD was pretty wrong.

    http://startingstrength.com/articles...n_rippetoe.pdf

    Quote Originally Posted by MouthDR View Post
    I have yet to see anyone that has followed that program and is lean. Although EVERYONE I have seen that follows it is fatter than f***. My observations.
    If they're "fatter than f***," they're not doing the program. See article linked above.

    Quote Originally Posted by MouthDR View Post
    BTW, there is nothing new about that program. It's nothing different from the multitude of strength building programs out there.
    It's certainly not the first program to utilize a novice linear progression and focus on the 4 main compount full-ROM lifts. Nobody ever said it was.

    It is probably the best explanation of the hows and whys, which is why I recommend everyone who's a novice lifter do some novice linear progression, and why I recommend all novice lifters read SS:BBT3.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,522
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Either you didn't read it or you didn't understand it. Because your assertion about the role of GOMAD was pretty wrong.

    http://startingstrength.com/articles...n_rippetoe.pdf



    If they're "fatter than f***," they're not doing the program. See article linked above.



    It's certainly not the first program to utilize a novice linear progression and focus on the 4 main compount full-ROM lifts. Nobody ever said it was.

    It is probably the best explanation of the hows and whys, which is why I recommend everyone who's a novice lifter do some novice linear progression, and why I recommend all novice lifters read SS:BBT3.
    Truth

  6. #16
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8,412
    And just for the lulz

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe
    The Barbell Thinks You're a Pussy

    The overhead press may be the most obvious thing to do with a barbell. The bar is lying there on the floor, looking at you as if to say, "Come on, press me over your head. It's the obvious thing to do. Can you? Are you strong enough?"

    And you say, "But I'd rather press you after I lie down on the bench over there. That's just as cool, right? It makes my pecs bigger too!" So the bar says, "Well, if you have to, put me in the rack and then press me overhead from there. That's still a man's press."

    But you say, "Aw c'mon, bar. Just load up in the bench and let me press you that way. I can do more weight on the bench, and I can work my chest."

    Finally, the bar says, "Okay, fine, have it your way, pussy."

    Because this is really the deal: the bench press lets you handle heavier weights, and there's a place for that. The bench is a legit lift. And "chesticles" are handy at the beach, I get that.

    But if the real reason you don't want to press is the fact that you don't want to confront a hole – likely a gaping-ass hole – in your strength, then the bar is right: you're a pussy.

    My point in all this bitching is to impress upon you the fact that your strength is not complete until you MAKE IT COMPLETE.

    Take the opportunity this particular knock has presented, and listen to me: Get your press up. Your bar is telling you the same thing.

  7. #17
    Gorbag's Avatar
    Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    4,309
    Rippetoes fan boys are mostly insecure skinny teenagers, wannabe-meatheads, and some regular muscle-heads too, that want to consider themselves “macho” – that’s the reason for his style, using the word “PUSSY” on almost every page of his writings…

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,522
    Ignore gorbag and you'll go far in this place. He is king troll numero uno

  9. #19
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8,412
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    Ignore gorbag and you'll go far in this place. He is king troll numero uno
    We all have to be good at something!

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,522
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    We all have to be good at something!
    That's his problem. He confuses good strength training with great strength training. Then he starts with the attitude and the name calling like a 13 year old girl. If you want to be the strongest you can be, train like ripp, louie simmons, joe defranco, the diesel crew, etc

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •