Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: GrayCat's True Colors - My Journal page

Graycat is offline Senior Member

GrayCat's True Colors - My Journal

Shop Now
    I pondered for some time over the title of my journal. Silly me. I seem so unsure of myself and my decisions sometimes. I initially thought of titling it "the fifty shades of GrayCat" ,but thought it was quite dumb.

I'm not even sure why I'm starting this and what will I write in it. Maybe just whatever I feel like rambling about at any given time. I suppose there's no reason I couldn't do that.

So here is a little bit of background:

I'm a mom of one and wife of another living a pretty unremarkable middle class (is that it? I hate putting labels on my lifestyle) suburban lifestyle in the South East of the US. English is my second language, so my apologies if it isn't always perfect.
    At some point in the Spring of 2011 I decided I needed a lifestyle change. A friend of mine has been doing on and off VLC for most of her adult life,
    so I thought I'd follow suit. I found the Atkins site and got VLC-ing by the book. Unlike many (most?) people who take on this particular diet I decided to slowly (and in retrospect I think it was too slow) progress up the "carb ladder" instead of staying stuck in the same rut and then give up. After a while as I had shed pretty much all of my extra body fat I decided to switch to a cleaner way of eating, meaning dropping artificial sweeteners and most "allowed" food additives and ramping up my exercise regimen.

I found MDA and more carbs. Turned out they were not as evil as I used to think.

Food: Now I eat natural, whole foods, I'm not scared of starch, fructose and even added sugars. My weight is stable and everything is going pretty well food-wise. I'm no longer weighing, counting calories and macros. It's really nice.
    VLC was good for me in some ways, but bad in other - mainly it made me binge at times. Now this is also under control.

Exercise: I love to run. I started last year in the Spring and at some point I was doing 30 + miles per week. I have recently cut back in favor of hill walking, resistance and weight exercises and some tabata video HIIT workouts. Thanks CiKi!!!!

So I guess this is it for now.

I'd love to hear from anyone, so feel free to stop by anytime. I'm a laid back feline and promise I won't growl at you or scratch.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Occasional growling or scratching is okay! It can be quite entertaining.

Welcome to the journals!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    HAH - wish you'd called it 50 shades of Graycat

Looking forward to reading more
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    Occasional growling or scratching is okay! It can be quite entertaining.

Welcome to the journals!
    Hi Siobhan! Thanks and so nice of you to comment here. Yours was the first journal I started reading as soon as I found this site. The goat story got me hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    HAH - wish you'd called it 50 shades of Graycat

Looking forward to reading more
    LoL! I pro'lly shoulda've. Purrrrrr, purrrrr. Meooow!

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    Hi Siobhan! Thanks and so nice of you to comment here. Yours was the first journal I started reading as soon as I found this site. The goat story got me hooked.
    Why thank you!

Actually, growling, scratching, hissing, etc. are quite primal. Go ahead!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

diene is offline Senior Member
    Hey, hey, welcome on the journal bandwagon!!!

I'm getting a little concerned with my hair. Just when it had filled in nicely after a massive fall out, it has started shedding a little once again. I hope i didn't cause that by taking kelp every day for a week, until Derpamix advised me to take it once every few days at most. Or it could just be a normal seasonal thing. I'm too sensitive about my precious hair. Especially that now I've come a long way with growing it back.

Dinner was yummy bison burger and a fried egg. I had a massive slice of watermelon for dessert.

I'm trying to figure out what to do for exercise tomorrow. Right now a nice long run, the kind I get lost within my thoughts while doing, sound very appealing.

This song really gets me going.

Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Hey, hey, welcome on the journal bandwagon!!!
    Hi Diene! Loving the animated thingies.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    How long did you take it for? I don't think 150mg to 200mg of iodine would cause any problems, but you might want to stop use anyway if you're already getting iodine from other sources.

Caffeine topicals can arrest excess hair fall. Might want to try that, and a vitamin e and progesterone topical too. Do you take biotin too? Does your hair feel brittle?

Oh, also, you can try mixing a few packets of knox/gelatin into your shampoo to help thicken your hair. I like regenepure shampoos, personally. The NT one can be used a lot more frequently, since ketoconazole can dry your hair out.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    How long did you take it for? I don't think 150mg to 200mg of iodine would cause any problems, but you might want to stop use anyway if you're already getting iodine from other sources.

Caffeine topicals can arrest excess hair fall. Might want to try that, and a vitamin e and progesterone topical too. Do you take biotin too? Does your hair feel brittle?

Oh, also, you can try mixing a few packets of knox/gelatin into your shampoo to help thicken your hair. I like regenepure shampoos, personally. The NT one can be used a lot more frequently, since ketoconazole can dry your hair out.
    I took the iodine for about a week. I've been taking a large dosage, since the excess gets expelled in the urine (can't think of how many mcgs 5000 maybe) of biotin for a very long time, like 3 years almost. Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'm definitely getting Knox gelatin.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Np, I know way too much about hair, and hair loss, so you can ask me any questions you have

A little shedding is nothing to really worry about though, only if it's excessive and consistent, because that could just be old hairs falling out from months ago(cycle lasts that long) that were unhealthy, and giving way to new healthier ones from your new routine. Worry if the growth is slow, or not at all. Doesn't hurt to take measures against it anyway, and to strengthen existing follicles.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 07-03-2013 at 05:52 PM.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast