Page 5 of 60 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: GrayCat's True Colors - My Journal page 5

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hey Gray,

I'm really sorry to hear about your little niece. That's terrible news. You know, at least one thing about kids being sick is that they don't get all the mental anguish that adults get. I have a friend who had skin cancer twice: once as a young kid, once in her mid twenties. She had a complete break down in her mid-twenties, whereas as a child she took it in her stride and didn't think about it. Anyway, hoping that the little one gets better! Have they given her a prognosis?

I have a theory about why we all come into this world with different issues: it's to do with everything that we have accumulated as balls of energy along our orbits, and our different issues are expressions of that energy.

Also, just wanted to say: don't be so hard on yourself for mentioning your skin! It's not remotely selfish. I'm obsessed with my appearance, but I also an altruistic, generous person. We're not impermeable to our societal influences. I'd probably be happier if I cared less about what I look like, but that's the only reason I'd prefer to be thinking about other things.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I'm really sorry to hear about your little niece. That's terrible news. You know, at least one thing about kids being sick is that they don't get all the mental anguish that adults get. I have a friend who had skin cancer twice: once as a young kid, once in her mid twenties. She had a complete break down in her mid-twenties, whereas as a child she took it in her stride and didn't think about it. Anyway, hoping that the little one gets better! Have they given her a prognosis?
    Yeah, that's so true. Don't wanna sound morbid, but that's kinda like when someone passes away. It's hardest on the immediate family and all the loved ones.
    My SIL and BIL are being aided by some charitable organization funded children's hospital and are awaiting on another liver donor. Thank goodness for people like that, but they really don't have their hopes too high...

On a different note:

Since I adjusted my diet more in line with the Peatarian protocol I am noticing high energy, better fitness performance, finally better sleep (YaY!!!!!), bloat has disappeared and lo and behold - even with pms and all I'm not really hungry. It's almost 6 pm and I've only had about 600 calories so far and I'm still not hungry. Yeah, I'm tracking again. Old habits die hard, I guess. I'm not trying to be on a diet per se or restrict anything, it's just naturally happening.
    One thing I'm noticing is that the more carbs I eat, less hungry I feel, which is rather interesting.
    We'll see how all that plays out in the future. So far I'm feeling great overall.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    My six year old niece is very sick again. She was born with very rare congenial disease called Biliary atresia. A condition in which the bile ducts are blocked or have developed abnormally to obstruct flow of bile from the liver to the small intestine in infants. Shortly after her birth she underwent a surgery to try and have the problem corrected. Unfortunately it was unsuccessful and several months later after so much pain and family agony she had liver graft transplant where a part of a living donor's liver was used.
    Now more than five years later her body is rejecting the organ. Veeeeery sad. Me and SO have contributed financially over the years, but I still wish I could do more.

When something like that happens I get to ask the question - why is it that some people have to start their life from behind the starting line? Shouldn't we all have the same chance given at birth?
    That is so sad. Does she feel bad alot? Does she have a normal life other than having surgeries and doctors visits and such?

I've been dealing with health issues since diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 3. I have no doubt that my life would be very, very different I didn't have T1 diabetes. I guess everyone has their own battles in life. It still sucks all the same though.

It's so kind of you to help financially as you can! I wonder how hard it would be to arrange a 5k to benefit her? That would be right up your alley since you like to run.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    I'm very sorry about your niece. I agree that children deal with these things better than adults do. Yoyo, therefore wouldn't you think this has more to do with the parents' accumulated energy rather than the child's? Meaning, having a sick child is the parents' lot in life rather than being sick is the child's issue? Just a thought. Anyway, I hope they are managing any pain she is in.

Re: Peatarian, I have noticed the same thing being strict with Zach's diet (which is similar). More energy and naturally eating less. My theory is that we're actually assimilating nutrients on this diet and therefore don't need as much? I'unno.
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Yeah, that's so true. Don't wanna sound morbid, but that's kinda like when someone passes away. It's hardest on the immediate family and all the loved ones.
    My SIL and BIL are being aided by some charitable organization funded children's hospital and are awaiting on another liver donor. Thank goodness for people like that, but they really don't have their hopes too high...

On a different note:

Since I adjusted my diet more in line with the Peatarian protocol I am noticing high energy, better fitness performance, finally better sleep (YaY!!!!!), bloat has disappeared and lo and behold - even with pms and all I'm not really hungry. It's almost 6 pm and I've only had about 600 calories so far and I'm still not hungry. Yeah, I'm tracking again. Old habits die hard, I guess. I'm not trying to be on a diet per se or restrict anything, it's just naturally happening.
    One thing I'm noticing is that the more carbs I eat, less hungry I feel, which is rather interesting.
    We'll see how all that plays out in the future. So far I'm feeling great overall.
    It just reminds us of how little control we have over life, doesn't it? That's always the hardest thing about sickness. I hope she gets better, and that you guys hold up okay!

I definitely notice that I sleep better high carb-sugar Not high carb bread/veg/legumes. Fruit and ice cream make me sleep like a baby! Lots of other benefits too: I can't quite believe it. How are you getting on with the gelatine? I think it suppresses appetite btw!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    How are you getting on with the gelatine? I think it suppresses appetite btw!
    I was just about to type this in reply to batty's post. I'm at two packets a day (with milk and sugar) I do think the gelatin suppresses my appetite.

Quote Originally Posted by brooke.S. View Post
    That is so sad. Does she feel bad alot? Does she have a normal life other than having surgeries and doctors visits and such?

I've been dealing with health issues since diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 3. I have no doubt that my life would be very, very different I didn't have T1 diabetes. I guess everyone has their own battles in life. It still sucks all the same though.

It's so kind of you to help financially as you can! I wonder how hard it would be to arrange a 5k to benefit her? That would be right up your alley since you like to run.
    See, they live quite a distance away, but from my conversatio with my SIL and another relative, the girl has jaundice like tint to her skin and her tummy is swollen. She is currently hospitalized, but luckily except for the schedule Dr. visits, a normal kid's lifestyle prior to the rejection.
    I don't know how the logistics for a 5K fund raiser would work, considering the location, but I'm definitely going to look into that.
    So sorry to hear about the T1 ~~~~hugs~~~

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    I'm very sorry about your niece. I agree that children deal with these things better than adults do. Yoyo, therefore wouldn't you think this has more to do with the parents' accumulated energy rather than the child's? Meaning, having a sick child is the parents' lot in life rather than being sick is the child's issue? Just a thought. Anyway, I hope they are managing any pain she is in.
    I was thinking something along these lines too. Altho Yoyo's theory sounds very interesting. I just got to go back and read it again. Coffee was awful this morning.

Re: Peatarian, I have noticed the same thing being strict with Zach's diet (which is similar). More energy and naturally eating less. My theory is that we're actually assimilating nutrients on this diet and therefore don't need as much? I'unno.
    Whatever it is, I'll enjoy it while it lasts. Less eating = feeling better = losing fat = less cooking = less $ spent on food LoL. It's a win-win-win-win.....situation for me.

I'm pissed at myself tonight. Had a wonderful day. Worked out in the morning than put on a nice dress that I was only able to wear years ago at my thinnest and it fit almost perfect. Met with some friends and we hang out at an outdoor park/shopping mall in town.
    Then came back home and was ravenous. I ate nice dinner, than after I was comfortably full I also ate chocolate and then hot chocolate with milk and honey. Ugh!
    I always feel that when I know I'm doing good diet-wise and on a good roll, then I somehow have to sabotage myself by overeating!! This has been my pattern of behavior in the past. I would lose weight, feel better about myself, and then it will give me a permission to become lenient about my diet and exercise. This has got to stop.
    Last edited by Graycat; 07-19-2013 at 07:21 PM.

Jendara is offline Member
    Firstly, I'm so sorry to hear about you niece. ((HUGS)) I really pray they're able to help her.

Secondly, don't beat yourself up too much about this! People have 'cheat days' and remember you're in one of your skinniest dresses! You done an amazing thing by getting where you want to be weight/health wise.
    Don't be too harsh with yourself.
    Because you sound awesome!

~ Jen
    The ridiculous, hilarious, sometimes infuriating and frustrating journal of one woman trying to feed a family caveman style.
    "It Takes A Village"
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread90638.html

"Canadian cavemen could have eaten poutine.."

I'm pissed at myself tonight. Had a wonderful day. Worked out in the morning than put on a nice dress that I was only able to wear years ago at my thinnest and it fit almost perfect. Met with some friends and we hang out at an outdoor park/shopping mall in town.
    Then came back home and was ravenous. I ate nice dinner, than after I was comfortably full I also ate chocolate and then hot chocolate with milk and honey. Ugh!
    I always feel that when I know I'm doing good diet-wise and on a good roll, then I somehow have to sabotage myself by overeating!! This has been my pattern of behavior in the past. I would lose weight, feel better about myself, and then it will give me a permission to become lenient about my diet and exercise. This has got to stop.
    You know, I have a theory that the body doesn't like change, and it wants to stay a certain weight! You haven't been eating much lately - maybe your body wanted to play catch up?

Don't feel bad about it. I honestly think that if you want to be a certain weight, you have to allow yourself indulgences! The weight will come off more slowly, but it means there are fewer fluctuations cos you lose the "fuck-it-i've-already-messed-up" attitude.

- Ray Peat

Page 5 of 60 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast