If you say triple sec is ok, I'm drinking triple sec

Thanks!
    If you're worried about the ingredients, make your own. Here's a recipe:

DIY Orange Liqueur | Serious Eats : Recipes

Stacy15 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    If you're worried about the ingredients, make your own. Here's a recipe:

DIY Orange Liqueur | Serious Eats : Recipes
    I was more worried about sugar than anything else. Kinda funny considering a few years ago id be downing pitchers of margaritas not caring what the hell was in it! Thanks for recipe. Definitely trying it. Who knew margaritas were so simple..

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Margaritas aren't loaded with sugar unless you buy some commercial mix, in which case they aren't really margaritas.

Recipe for margarita: 3 parts good silver tequila, 2 triple sec, 1 part fresh squeezed lime juice

Shake with ice and strain into a glass rimmed with kosher salt. No salt = not a margarita. Margarita mix = not a margarita. Didn't squeeze limes until your forearms hurt = not a margarita. Using good añejo instead of silver tequila = still a margarita, but a waste of good sipping tequila. Thus spake RichMahogany, former bartender to the elite yuppies of the mid-atlantic.

The only appreciable sugar is in the triple sec. If it's part of your 20%, don't sweat it. Otherwise, look up "Norcal margarita," which, despite not being a margarita, is delicious and as primal as can be.

The end.
    Pfffftttt.

Using good liquor in a simple mixed drink makes the drink better...
    For instance a Brugal 1888 Mojito is much better than your standard run of the mill white. IMO.
    (Call it dirty if you like.)
    A Dark And Stormy with Goslings Old... though I've had to settle for standard Gos before when Old couldn't be had locally.
    The subtle flavor comes through.
    The same with a Norcal or standard Margarita and good añejo.
    And I'm not going to bother going out and throwing money away on a decent bottle of white.
    I keep in my house what I'm willing to happily DRINK... not things I'll drink and "other stuff".

I'm not saying mix with your most expensive bottles... just, c'mon...
    Good liquor tastes better and in a simple drink you CAN taste it.
    Last edited by cori93437; 07-03-2013 at 09:34 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Also, if a mix is easier, there's a sugar free one called Bob's or Uncle Bob's or something like that. They make a whole line of sugar free mixers. I never checked the ingredients because I used them pre-primal, so I'm assuming they have aspartame. I was in OR at the time, so I don't know if they're available everywhere.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Roary is offline Senior Member
    My current go-to is a NorCal with a couple of orange slices muddled in it.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Pfffftttt.

Using good liquor in a simple mixed drink makes the drink better...
    For instance a Brugal 1888 Mojito is much better than your standard run of the mill white. IMO.
    (Call it dirty if you like.)
    A Dark And Stormy with Goslings Old... though I've had to settle for standard Gos before when Old couldn't be had locally.
    The subtle flavor comes through.
    The same with a Norcal or standard Margarita and good añejo.
    And I'm not going to bother going out and throwing money away on a decent bottle of white.
    I keep in my house what I'm willing to happily DRINK... not things I'll drink and "other stuff".

I'm not saying mix with your most expensive bottles... just, c'mon...
    Good liquor tastes better and in a simple drink you CAN taste it.
    I'm not saying to use the stuff that comes in a plastic handle bottle. I actually like the taste of a silver tequila better in a margarita, and I like to drink my añejo on the rocks, with or without a squeeze of lime.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12