Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight loss and muscle recovery page

neilyus is offline Junior Member

Weight loss and muscle recovery

Shop Now
    Hi, newbie here.

I started eating Paleo almost a year ago, but I was only partially doing it, eating rolls and sausage now and then, having crisps every now and then. Recently I have really focused and so far been doing well, I've even cut out dairy.

I'm 26, 5'10" male. A month or so ago I was 11st, I'm now 9st 12oz. I train 4-6 times a week, mostly swimming with 1 day of body weight circuits / movement training, and 1 day of hiking. However, I have noticed I'm taking a lot longer to recover from exercise than I used to. My muscle fatigue in my shoulders doesn't seem to disappear. I eat a portion of prawns or chicken after a workout. I eat big meals and drinking water.

I am worried about my weight loss, especially since I wasn't that heavy to begin with. I am also really frustrated at my lack of progress in the pool due to fatigue.

Has anyone got any help / pointers? My thoughts are, I should start drinking milk again...but what are the thoughts on this with Paleo?

Cheers.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    How many carbs are you eating per day? Lack of muscle glycogen due to prolonged carbohydrate restriction could be what is causing the fatigue.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    I hope this thread doesn't go carb v Keto but yes you may be struggling to adapt to the limited supply of glucose but you may also be lacking in salt due to ditching processed crap and excreting more due to fat metabolism. Eat more fat and supplement salts with Bouillon or eat some friendly carbs, potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice noodles (yum). Or do a bit of both until you are feeling like a horny superman who has just dropped some cocaine. Point is your metabolism is adaptable and unique, learn how it works by experiment and learn how to be its boss.

I'm eating until I'm full. For instance, I'll fill a George Foreman with meat and veg, eat it and that's me full. It'll be maybe 2 peppers, half an onion, a handful of mushrooms, a steak (salmon, beef, tuna etc.) plus a salad on the side.
    I haven't eaten rice or potatoes this year, due to reading they aren't paleo - is this BS?
    Lack of glycogen would mean to try and increase it - eating more meat including liver?

I've never been one to add salt to my diet, and I haven't started. I read the calcium blog by about lack of calcium due to Dairy is evened out by having less salt. So I'm reluctant to start eating high salt as this would then mean a calcium deficiency?

Weight loss has never been a goal of mine. I have always been 'lean' or 'skinny'. My mantra is very much its not how much you weigh, but how you look in the mirror. However, having dropped to under 10st, the lightest I've been since my teens, it is a slight worry. Weighed myself this morning and another 1lb has dropped off.

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    Add some rice and potatoes, they'll do wonders for you. Also have a look into kefir, a great post-workout drink that makes me feel like Superman and that really improves recovery. I eat/drink the above every day and while I'm gaining a bit of weight (had nothing more to lose), my bodyfat percentage keeps going down (more muscle).
    Last edited by FlyingPig; 07-04-2013 at 03:35 AM.

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Don't worry about salt...if you are craving it you probably need it....Is Salt Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

Thanks for your comments. I can't comment on exactly what has worked for me as I have dropped bread, potatoes, rice and pasta and now most alcohol. So some of this has contributed to my weight loss. Looking in the mirror - I can see the fat around the middle has gone, a goal of mine.
    My issue with eating rice in particular is, it's a grain and as such is not paleo. Perhaps, and thanks for mentioning potato, I could do with eating more of it? I cut it out completely but would still eat sweet potato, I have noticed that this has been removed from my diet (unintentionally) since around June.
    I'll add potato back in once a week for a few weeks and see how I go.

Cheers!

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    Ultimately it is about finding what works for you. You'll hear plenty of contradictory advice on this forum so do your own research and experiments. Remember not all grains are the same, and white rice is fairly neutral. Same with potatoes, which are actually quite nutritious.
    I personally thrived on low carb paleo in the beginning but at that point still had about 30lbs to lose. As I became more active and started working with kettlebells, I found re-introducing some "safe starches" to be beneficial for performance and well-being. YMMV. You may also want to check out Paul Jaminet's Perfect Health Diet book, for which Mark Sisson wrote the foreword. Basically paleo + safe starches, which may be more suitable for people who are more active like yourself.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by neilyus View Post
    I'm 26, 5'10" male. A month or so ago I was 11st, I'm now 9st 12oz. I train 4-6 times a week, mostly swimming with 1 day of body weight circuits / movement training, and 1 day of hiking. However, I have noticed I'm taking a lot longer to recover from exercise than I used to. My muscle fatigue in my shoulders doesn't seem to disappear. I eat a portion of prawns or chicken after a workout. I eat big meals and drinking water.

I am worried about my weight loss, especially since I wasn't that heavy to begin with. I am also really frustrated at my lack of progress in the pool due to fatigue.
    Some options:
    1. Cut back on the workouts to increase recovery time.
    2. Reduced intensity more than increased intensity.
    3. Add carbs- fruit, rice, potatoes.
    4. Add fat. You're dropping weight, working out constantly, while apparently trying to do a low-fat, low-carb diet (shrimp and chicken are really low fat). This method is known as "faileo" and doesn't work for long.

Final note: A lot of people have a skewed idea of what a healthy weight is for them. I'm as tall as you, and at one point dropped down to 146 lbs, or about 10.4 st. I really had far less muscle mass than I ever thought I did. Once I got down that low, I started eating to feed the muscle I was trying to build and I'm now at about 165, or 11.8st. You may find that you had more fat than you thought, and less muscle.

If you want more muscle, you need to do strength-building workouts and eat to build muscle. I think that eating to build is more difficult than lifting.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulvujb View Post
    Lack of muscle glycogen due to prolonged carbohydrate restriction could be what is causing the fatigue.
    Did you seriously just copy & paste my post? Lol.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast